EEB/Enduro physical tuning

willo

10 W
gfX8UWB.jpg

So I've got a china built ebike that I scored locally. I resuscitated the battery pack (which was in BMS shutdown from over discharging) and have been out for a few rides now to cycle the pack and get used to it. I've got a list of items I'd like to work on.
I'm 6ft tall and am looking for suggestions on making the bike fit a bit better.

1) Crank - it feels bent. It's mostly useless as is. Single speed is barely usable. Not really surprising, but I'm open to suggestions here. I keep trying to talk myself into throwing a planetary crank (metropolis) I have on the thing.

2) Seat - too far forward. PO put a wide sprung seat on it. Feels squishy and I think it makes it harder to control the bike. (I'm used to using a MTB seat against the thighs for stability. Thinking of grabbing the motorcycle style but I'm not sure that it'll really help the sizing issue.

3) Throttle, I swapped in a domino. Right now the controller complains about the throttle when at 0, but works fine once I start twisting. I'm loving the full twist. The controller is a C&N, so maybe I can adjust some settings...

4) Fork tuning - It's got a DNM Volcano which actually tracks pretty well but I probably need to up the pressure. I could raise the bike up a CM or so but I'm not sure that I want to mess with the triple tree for such a small gain.

Open to suggestions here, I've only just started pondering how I can make it fit me a bit better.

Made a decision on the seat.
Ordered a Luna Cycle Surron Deluxe float seat and a surron rear fender.
Sock surron seat is $35, deluxe leather was like $95.
Once those bits show up, I'll fab up a custom seat bracket for the enduro frame.

Fender is installed, seat arrived, I started to install hand guards. I'm eyeballing headlight upgrades so I can make a unified headlight/handguard bracket.
I also found a full STL of the Surron seat bracket which will be helpful for making my custom version for the Enduro.
Looking at it, I will probably chop up the factory seat bracket to build the new mount.
I think it'll look good, but the Luna stitching is a little off in alignment. Not the end of the world but I'd expect better on a seat that cost three times the factory version.

Can't vouch for longevity of this crank but I just got it for my own hub bike build. Massive cog and 152mm long cranks (vs the usualy 170/175mm). Great if you wanna slam the seat and want a bit of space or ground clearance.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000292499295.html

To put the seat back you will need a combination of layback (or offset) seatpost and a saddle with long rails for good adjustability. One particularly great saddle with long rails is Selle smp hybrid (gel). Not cheap but it is both light, very adjustable and comfortable.
Avoid the single bolt seatposts. Because of the huge leverage a saddle at the very end of the rail puts on them, they will fail to keep their adjustment or just fail unexpectedly. Go for the 2 bolt variety, one front one rear. Also if they use aluminum nuts as they often do, they will explode just the same, just replace it with nyloc nuts.

For the seat I'm customizing a surron seat - basically bolt on dirt bike style.
Which reminds me, I need to go order some metal.

I cut down the old seat bracket and tac welded a mounting tab that I made up out of mild steel.
GdomoUO.jpg

Of course, while checking this, I noticed that the seat pan is actually a little twisted. I hope the leather will settle in but the thing just looks lumpy right now. I emailed luna about the twisted seat pan, since I think that's lame for a $100 seat vs the $35 factory surron.

Anyhow, I'm stuck for the moment as I need to pick up a bit more steel for the rear support. I'm thinking of using round tube for the lowers. Even with the funky twist in the seat pan, this is gonna look good when it's done.

Up front, I am waiting for the new headlight to show up so I can make up a unified headlight/hand guard bracket.
That'll take advantage of the mounting holes on the upper triple tree as well as the handlebar bracket.

Oh and now featuring the front fender from dirty bikes. I'm going to make up some form of shock protector for the rear, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Let's see that seat mount to make sure it's still strong enough. From the pic it looks to me hanging there on something than may dump you onto the tire.

Back