need help to create a piece that fits on my bike and that will host regular trailer

Hi i have a xiongda motor and none of the nuts on of trailer fit on that so i have been suggested to build a piece of metal to fix on the bike and frome there add the regular attachement from the trailers.
i have never done something like that . Someone suggested me to use the holes on my bike to fix a 1 #8 one eighth of a inch of metal plate.

is it a good idea and how to precisely drill the hole on the metal piece so that is perfectly aligned?

​​​​​​​below is the proposed plan.

Attachments

• 20210524_151253.jpg
    20210524_151253.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 556
  • 20210524_151317.jpg
    20210524_151317.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 556
  • img_1932_13975e485f3bb6ecebee3a9655d9a51b0343c7ef.jpg
    img_1932_13975e485f3bb6ecebee3a9655d9a51b0343c7ef.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 556
Looks like that would work to me. It might be possible to also have the plate connect at the axle hole, depending on the length of the motors axle stubs. I did something very similar, but welded to the bike since it was a steel bike.

No particular reason the connection needs to be no higher than the axle, but somewhere in that ballpark is a good idea.

One option would be to make an attachment that clamps to the stays, if bolting to those brake disk mount holes does not work.

The actual hitch bolts need not be as fancy as the existing ones, an ordinary bolt will work as long as its the right size to connect on the hitch. If you want a bigger head, epoxy or weld a washer to the bolt.

want to build said:
Hi i have a xiongda motor and none of the nuts on of trailer fit on that so i have been suggested to build a piece of metal to fix on the bike and frome there add the regular attachement from the trailers.
i have never done something like that . Someone suggested me to use the holes on my bike to fix a 1 #8 one eighth of a inch of metal plate.

is it a good idea and how to precisely drill the hole on the metal piece so that is perfectly aligned?

I'd suggest drilling the hole for the motor axle through the plate, and with some grinding, you can use the same plate as trailer hook and torque arm for the motor. Might give you some headroom for stronger motors in the future. Use at least 6mm stainless steel, or 5mm cromoly.

Yes, definitely do that if you have long enough axles for it. The plate may or may not need a spacer washer under it, depending on how flat the whole rear dropout plate is. And while you are at it, that plate can also be a strong torque arm

o k the drawing works but my question remains the same

how to precisely drill the hole on the metal piece so that is perfectly aligned?

i ll need to provide a plan to a handyman to do it but how can i draw a plan where the holes are directly aligned with the existing holes?
bonus question will i have to use a bolt that is threaded to the bike holes or another bolt?

qwerkus said:
want to build said:

I'd suggest drilling the hole for the motor axle through the plate, and with some grinding, you can use the same plate as trailer hook and torque arm for the motor. Might give you some headroom for stronger motors in the future. Use at least 6mm stainless steel, or 5mm cromoly.
The guy or me that will create the piece will ask me draw me a plan with where you want the holes to be . how do i draw them exacly where they should be ? i have no clue do i just make larger holes hoping they will be aligned? if so that would damage the threads of the holes of the frame wouldnt it ?

want to build said:
qwerkus said:
want to build said:

The guy or me that will create the piece will ask me draw me a plan with where you want the holes to be . how do i draw them exacly where they should be ? i have no clue do i just make larger holes hoping they will be aligned? if so that would damage the threads of the holes of the frame wouldnt it ?

Free the dropout and make a few pencil negatives on a piece of paper ? Than measure each and keep the middle value.

Back