Left side drive: what's current?

Ham

1 kW
I have a dream for a build, however, my imagination/knowledge/machining skills are lacking.

Custom frame, left side direct drive 3kw minimum, torque sensing PAS and the slick domino throttle, 160mm travel ish, full suspension, etc etc.

What are the current options for left side drive whilst keeping the rear disc brake functional?

I understand Lightning Rods may have something for left drive but I am currently waiting a reply from him.

I have seen a couple of threads where people have created ways with custom CNC work or frankensteined ingenious contraptions but to make sure I am covering all basis I thought I should ask here.

I have seen the offset custom adaptors but struggle with understanding/finding which width hubs/dropouts etc work...

help ES family!

Putting a chain (which needs lube on it) right next to a brake rotor (which needs to have no lube on it) is a mistake. The reason you don't find a "state of the art" solution for this arrangement is because it's a bad idea.

Thanks for your input, however, it seems to have been and is still working for those that have tried it...I think dry lube has been used successfully and or specific chain designs perhaps?

Do you have any ideas for direct drive mid drives?

Thanks

Ham said:
Do you have any ideas for direct drive mid drives?

"Hat" chainring adapter for disc brake mount, and a rear rim brake? That seems like the path of least resistance to me, if your tire choice allows it.

If freewheeling is acceptable, you could put a motor sprocket on the innermost position of the cassette, and whichever derailleur gears you want to use on the outer half of the cassette. 3kW+ won't be kind to the freehub body, though.

Dry lube will ruin your disc pads just as effectively as wet lube, for what it's worth.

The kind of bike you describe has no practical use for pedals. Deleting them will greatly simplify the construction of your bike.

Disc brake must remain. Stopping is important to me as are skid power slides:)

Hopefully others with experience will add to this thread.

Pedals must remain...I enjoy pedalling at times and PAS with torque sensing is how I ride 99% of the time. Throttle is however, much fun at times.

Ham said:
Custom frame, left side direct drive 3kw minimum, torque sensing PAS and the slick domino throttle, 160mm travel ish, full suspension, etc etc.

What are the current options for left side drive whilst keeping the rear disc brake functional?

Does "left side direct drive" mean no freewheel/coasting? Are you planning on using regen?

E-HP said:
Ham said:

Does "left side direct drive" mean no freewheel/coasting? Are you planning on using regen?

If that is an option then yes but not a requirement

Ham said:

There are advantages to disc brakes, but increased stopping power isn't one of them. The best rim brakes outperform the best bicycle discs by any measure.

red_brake.JPG

images

Also, this is the rear brake you're talking about. You can't use very much stopping power there before the wheel skids.

If it's just fetishistic reasons that make you want to use a rear disc alongside a drive sprocket, say so. Because rim brakes are mature tech that can easily exceed the performance requirements you describe.

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
LMX
Agazzini
Boxxbike
Aden

if not the bike then maybe their parts;)

I do love an LMX, not seen the Agazzini until now...sweet. Aden is spoke mounted..not for me I think. Boxxbike is very cool too.

They all have tiny batteries for the power though...not one over 1kwh...I have more than that inside my transition patrol frame which is nuts.

LMX used to sell their rear swingarm and left side drive but it seems to not be an option on their website now...perhaps I will drop them a message.

Is no one offering an adaptor or custom hub for sale?

Chalo said:
Ham said:

There are advantages to disc brakes, but increased stopping power isn't one of them. The best rim brakes outperform the best bicycle discs by any measure.

red_brake.JPG

images

Also, this is the rear brake you're talking about. You can't use very much stopping power there before the wheel skids.

If it's just fetishistic reasons that make you want to use a rear disc alongside a drive sprocket, say so. Because rim brakes are mature tech that can easily exceed the performance requirements you describe.

Aside from mounting the rim brake I just dislike them, plus from reading I have done they do match disc brakes just fine, in dry conditions. I ride an awful lot in the wet and sloppy mud too. Rim brakes are not on the cards this decade I am afraid.

Plus resale value...I have sold each of my previous builds after playing on them and I can speak with some experience here...no nobody is paying good money for a high power ebike with rim brakes, nor should they.

Ham said:

https://mbrebel.com/product/disc-drive-sprocket-adapter-9-chainring-bolt-style/

Chalo said:
Ham said:

https://mbrebel.com/product/disc-drive-sprocket-adapter-9-chainring-bolt-style/

Mucho gracias Sir, just the type of stuff I am looking for

Cyclone-tw.com has several left drive coaxial motor bike kits and assorted parts and accessories. Not sure on the quality of the frames but the motors are pretty bulletproof in general

Ham said:
Use a belt drive.

You are going to have trouble finding room for everything though, even at the wider standard spacings.

electric_nz said:
Cyclone-tw.com has several left drive coaxial motor bike kits and assorted parts and accessories. Not sure on the quality of the frames but the motors are pretty bulletproof in general

I had forgotten about Cyclone, thanks for the reminder

JackFlorey said:
Ham said:
Use a belt drive.

You are going to have trouble finding room for everything though, even at the wider standard spacings.

Exactly, I am trying to find out info on how exactly people have over come that

Left side drive I’m all for. Leave the bike as normal on the right side so it’s rideable. If you can increase power to not need gears and go single speed the left powered bike should be ideal.
To use the rear disc brake and a sprocket you have to space out the rotor and alter your caliper mounts to suit. And/or use a sprocket that is much larger than the brake disc. This may be the case as a large sprocket is required to get the reduction ratio we want. Mount the disc to the sprocket or the other way around. I’ve seen pictures on the cyclone Twain page showing this but with their belt drive, still left drive I’m referring too.
A belt is good in theory and it’s quieter and cleaner but it has it drawbacks. Your ability to change gearing will not be easy. Drive and driven sprockets are available for a chain, quite easily and cheaply but for a belt drive you are hoping your calculations are correct for pulley sizes and belt length. Also depending on the frame you will need a removable section to use a belt. This is usually on the lower seat stay. A non triangle shaped swing arm may not need this, like a dirt bike.

Skaiwerd said:
Left side drive I’m all for. Leave the bike as normal on the right side so it’s rideable. If you can increase power to not need gears and go single speed the left powered bike should be ideal.
To use the rear disc brake and a sprocket you have to space out the rotor and alter your caliper mounts to suit. And/or use a sprocket that is much larger than the brake disc. This may be the case as a large sprocket is required to get the reduction ratio we want. Mount the disc to the sprocket or the other way around. I’ve seen pictures on the cyclone Twain page showing this but with their belt drive, still left drive I’m referring too.
A belt is good in theory and it’s quieter and cleaner but it has it drawbacks. Your ability to change gearing will not be easy. Drive and driven sprockets are available for a chain, quite easily and cheaply but for a belt drive you are hoping your calculations are correct for pulley sizes and belt length. Also depending on the frame you will need a removable section to use a belt. This is usually on the lower seat stay. A non triangle shaped swing arm may not need this, like a dirt bike.

I may well end up having to make my own adaptors at this rate :)

FYI:
Grin Tech has a sprocket designed to fit the 6 hole disk mount.
Might be useful. It is being discontinued.

https://ebikes.ca/shop/special-lists/sale/cog16t.html

They are fantastic looking bikes but sub 1kwh battery with 1500 watts motor plus the price tag is a fail for me I'm afraid.

Plus... where's the fun in buying and not building😁

Back