Wheel leaning on one side

Skippo

10 W
Anyone know how I can get the wheel center to the fork. I am trying to add a pull brake to the front. But 1st I have to get it center. See picture it is off center to the left. Is that the wheel itself or the shaft that is causing this?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20211112_105456.jpg
    IMG_20211112_105456.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 418
Is the axle seated in the top of the drop out on both sides? Is the wheel angled in the fork or straight and shifted to one side?

Skippo said:
Is that the wheel itself or the shaft that is causing this?
Take the wheel out and flip it around and reinstall. That should tell you if it the rim is dished to one side. (would be closer to the other fork blade)

If it is still closer to the same fork blade, then probably the dropouts are not squarely aligned.

SlowCo said:
Is the axle seated in the top of the drop out on both sides? Is the wheel angled in the fork or straight and shifted to one side?
There is a locking washer holding the wheel on both side. So it has to be in the right position.

Attachments

• 16368547028021894684001068920005.jpg
    16368547028021894684001068920005.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 373
Maybe you already know that the spoke lengths/tensions can be reset to center the wheel in the opening?

Skippo said:
There is a locking washer holding the wheel on both side. So it has to be in the right position.

Those can hold the axle out of the correct position, too. I see it often. I always throw them away and replace with plain axle washers. They're not for the end user or for proper functioning of the bike; they are to fulfill the US CPSC requirement for "positive front wheel retention devices" at the lowest possible cost. They only do their job if you forget to tighten the axle nuts.

Anyway, if you keep those tabbed washers, turn the tabs around the other way so they don't keep the axle from seating all the way into the fork tip slots.

AHicks said:
Maybe you already know that the spoke lengths/tensions can be reset to center the wheel in the opening?

You don't want to do that until you've figured out whether the problem is the fork. A badly out-of-dish wheel might look more centered in a bent fork, but it won't ride right.

Back