Ride1up Core-5 brake upgrade to 203mm adapter help

hello all,

not sure i would get any response but trying to upgrade my ride1up core 5 to have 203mm brakes in the front and back. front is IS and Rear is PM. both are currently 160mm rotors.

i did try to use these items, but they were too small:

front = https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07H9P6RQ1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

rear = https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B081RZ22B4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

now i know they are cheapy, but i have used similar on my other ebike with great success. it's just that when i tried to install them, they both was too small and the rotor wouldn't clear. pictures of the front install and the back's were just as bad.

IMG_20211109_112128.jpg
IMG_20211109_112156.jpg

hopeing someone might lead me to the right gear to make my brakes last longer as currently im changing brakes every 250 miles or so and it's getting expensive riding at 30 mph :shock: :lol:

The adapters don't work for each case, but when I needed more clearance when switching my front rotor, my bolts were long enough to add a couple of washers to each post which did the trick.

E-HP said:
The adapters don't work for each case, but when I needed more clearance when switching my front rotor, my bolts were long enough to add a couple of washers to each post which did the trick.

so it's ok to add two on one side and 4 on the other? this is for the front brakes

on the back - i think each side needed 6 washers each side.

is this safe? i would think the bolts would be holding all the stress of the brakes and snap after some time?

justlooking808 said:
E-HP said:

so it's ok to add two on one side and 4 on the other? this is for the front brakes

is this safe? i would think the bolts would be holding all the stress of the brakes and snap after some time?

6 seems like a lot. Is it possible to split them up, and use a few between the frame and adapter, a the rest between the adapter and caliper?

i always use the concave/convex spacers that come with linear pull (v brake) pads, they work really well for this purpose. Then again i have hundreds of them kicking around bc i am a bike mechanic and hoarder by trade

E-HP said:
justlooking808 said:
E-HP said:

6 seems like a lot. Is it possible to split them up, and use a few between the frame and adapter, a the rest between the adapter and caliper?

this is a little hard as the back is IS mount, so its basically Frame > adapter > screw. not sure how to add between adapter and caliper?

Manbeer said:
i always use the concave/convex spacers that come with linear pull (v brake) pads, they work really well for this purpose. Then again i have hundreds of them kicking around bc i am a bike mechanic and hoarder by trade

do you have a picture of this? very interested as to what this is?

justlooking808 said:
this is a little hard as the back is IS mount, so its basically Frame > adapter > screw. not sure how to add between adapter and caliper?

Easier to draw it. 3 in each location. Maybe it won't work with your frame.
bracket.jpg

E-HP said:
justlooking808 said:

Easier to draw it. 3 in each location. Maybe it won't work with your frame.
bracket.jpg

thanks for this, I'll try it out and see what happens. :bigthumb: :D

much appreciated the picture and a big mahalos for this.

Just came across this thread. Looks to me like your brackets might require the CPS washers that avid uses on their brakes. Washers are probably fine too but its a least a possible explanation as to why they didnt fit.

FAF7E3FE-3D1D-4782-8BA4-F758270A7F16.jpeg

DanGT86 said:
Just came across this thread. Looks to me like your brackets might require the CPS washers that avid uses on their brakes. Washers are probably fine too but its a least a possible explanation as to why they didnt fit.

Good eye. As a matter of fact, I don't know how one could properly adjust the caliper alignment without them.

DanGT86 said:

thanks for the insight, i just bought the shimano adapter that was built for 160mm to 203mm rotors and it fit like a charm. nice and snug and it just clears a hair for clearance. :thumb:

but thank you community for the help

link of what i bought incase someone wanted to do the same :

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/service-upgradeparts/shimano/ISMMAF203PSA.html

Back