Chainline options

mongrol

100 mW
Let's use bullets!
  • Bafang G.062 on fat bike
  • Chainline easily 15mm too far left
  • Can't dish to the right as rotor won't reach caliper
  • Can't add spacer to rotor as cable exits axle and rotor would foul it.
  • Need to move freewheel right.

This would be ideal but they don't ship it to Australia, contact emails to them are unanswered.
https://www.ebikekit.com/collections/freewheels/products/freewheel-spacer-for-1-speed

However, I really only need 3 gears with this thing so I could do a single speed conversion at the back, which would fix my rear cog alignment and put a front dearaileur on with 3 chainrings. Does this sound sensible? Personally, I hate front gears with a passion as I've never had much luck keeping them "good". Logically it sounds like a good idea so is there something I'm missing?

mongrol said:
However, I really only need 3 gears with this thing so I could do a single speed conversion at the back, which would fix my rear cog alignment and put a front dearaileur on with 3 chainrings. Does this sound sensible? Personally, I hate front gears with a passion as I've never had much luck keeping them "good".

Why don't you use the few gears you find most relevant all together on the good side of the cassette, and lock out the rest with your rear derailleur limit screws?

If your cassette has its big sprockets mounted on a spider, get a cheap cassette and remove the screws or rivets that hold it together. Then shuffle the ones you want into the positions that work well with your front chainring.

Thanks Chalo,
It's a freewheel so I can't really do much to it. Hence the ebikekit spacer solution linked. Also, perfect may be the enemy of good, but I still like good. I do agree a single chainwheel is better. I think this is one of those problems that needs me to stand and stare at the bike for an hour and see where it takes me.

It's very easy to manufacture the "spacer" (I had it done by a machinist friend). Don't know the cost though since mine was free. BTW, had to make spacers for the disc brake, but that was easy. At the time there were no fat bike motors available, so a Mongoose Dolomite with 190 mm rear spacing or whatever (can't remember since it was years ago) was squeezed down to 135 mm. Then a "side car", which would hold a wheelchair for his granddaughter, was built and attached. Wish I could show a picture but don't have the capacity.

Back