Considering build - Sun X-3 recumbent

Thoughts on making this an ebike?

What problems do you see with it?

I have a chance to pick this bike up for only $100. While it isn't my choice for a recumbent, the deal is killer. But, I would only use it as an ebike.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• sunx31.jpg
    sunx31.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 586
  • sunx32.jpg
    sunx32.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 586
I would put a small geared hub motor in the front, the rear might be to narrow could be more prone to flip over.

I'd say a nice grocery getter in foul weather, especially with some sort of roof.
Does not seem like something *fun* to ride though.

I have converted three of them. The little Q100 motor with radial laced spokes in the 16” front wheel provides all the power you need. A halion type battery fits well on the top tube and the controller below the tube makes a fairly clean build. I was concerned that the front motor would not get enough traction but it works fine in all but really loose gravel and sand.

Thanks for input, I've decided not to do it. Thinking of just holding out for what I really want - fat tire tadpole.

Is that trike the retirement home version of this? :shock:

Attachments

• high_bar.jpg
    high_bar.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 513
I rode one once, was bouncy a.f. cost was 2800$usd not sure of its name. Parts were hard to get, I forgot what the guy needed, he crashed and waited months.

metaneuralnetwork said:
Thanks for input, I've decided not to do it. Thinking of just holding out for what I really want - fat tire tadpole.

Looks Squirrley even without motor assist. Too long and narrow and upright. Better to get what really suits you. You made the right choice to pass on this one.

Back