Q: How do I remove BB & cranks 2016 Giant Stance?

BearESmith

1 mW
Hey all.

First, thanks in advance for any and all help.

I bought this bike from a young fella with a pregnant girlfriend and a sad look on his face. Bike obviously had a history of being run hard and put away wet, and it shows in most every area: sprockets, chain, chainrings, cranks, seat & post, tires, etc. But the wheels and hydraulic brakes, frame, suspension, all work and it rides and shifts well, so the basics are there for me to convert it into an old guy rail-trail cruiser. I plan to mount a TSDZ2 with the OSF upgrade, which I also have in a recumbent trike and am quite happy with.

Problem is.... I am stuck on removing the cranks and bottom bracket. I'm unable to locate anything online informing me how to do the job. I've got my square taper removal tool but it does me no good here. What looks like a huge (T70? T80?) Torx looking maw greets me and, frankly, I've never encountered such a thing (not that size anyway) in nearly sixty years of wrenching motorcycles and cars.

I am stumped and don't want to break anything, especially anything unobtainium.

So, if anybody takes pity on an aging doofus and wants to share their wisdom or painful experience, I am all ears.

Again, thank you in advance, mis amigos. :mrgreen:

Yours,
Bear
still with hair

2016 giant stance specs
https://99spokes.com/bikes/giant/2016/stance-27.5-2
Bottom Bracket FSA, Press Fit
How to Remove and Install Bottom Brackets - Press Fit
[youtube]2VnwKrC9rS0[/youtube]
Got no idea how to do this. Hope this helps.

Unused bottle bosses will let water in and make a mess of things as will hollow seat posts. You will want to plug any unused bosses with screws at least and cork the post if hollow tube type. If submerged most will still take in water through the stay gas out holes. Just grease up the assembly with a water proof grease before installing the mid drive and it should keep it all in check.

Back