Brilliant enclosed scooter. Inspirational IMHO

Logic11

100 mW
Hope this is the right place for something like this.

This guy has fully enclosed a scooter.
And in a such a way that it looks factory and damn good!
It's heavy but looks able to take the knocks in an accident. (which he kinda proves due to a forgotten wheel nut!)
Door, floor, weatherproof the lot!
He seems to just have sucked it out of his thumb as he went along too!
The balance wheel deployment system is inspired.
[youtube]f708GtL6tns[/youtube]

He then changes it to a tadpole 3 wheeler.
His use of plastic basins to make mudguards and the windscreen wiper is clever.
[youtube]Ov9n-JwujwE[/youtube]

IMHO this build is pretty inspirational, informative and just begging for some motors! :)
Hope you guys like it too and look forward to your thoughts.

This is great work.

It needs/deserves better aerodynamics, more efficient tires, and weight reduction. A lower profile, narrowed track, and a composite streamliner shell would suit it very nicely. I bet a vehicle every bit as rugged could be made somewhere around 150 lbs, and with aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance such that only 2 horsepower is needed for 70 mph, 5 horsepower for 100 mph.

As it is, it probably gets no better than 100 mpg using that engine, when close to 1,000 mpg is possible.

I've seen it too; what he's done is really damned neat, and I think he later mentioned that he would have used something like fiberglass instead but has no experience with it or tools to use it.
My only concern, is that it's a lot of weight loaded onto that little single-cylinder.

The Toecutter said:
This is great work.

It needs/deserves better aerodynamics, more efficient tires, and weight reduction. A lower profile, narrowed track, and a composite streamliner shell would suit it very nicely. I bet a vehicle every bit as rugged could be made somewhere around 150 lbs, and with aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance such that only 2 horsepower is needed for 70 mph, 5 horsepower for 100 mph.

As it is, it probably gets no better than 100 mpg using that engine, when close to 1,000 mpg is possible.

I agree Toecutter.
A composite shell would be great but is not as easy.
I'm thinking aluminum for the frame and glass/carbon fiber for the panels, and acrylic side windows.
Attaching the steel bits to aluminum complicates things.

Also the tail could have been made more aero by coming to a sharper point/vertical line. Kinda fish tail...ish.
The nose on the 3 wheel version could have been made a lot more aero and thinner road wheels tires used.
Preferably with hub motors! :)

Also, whether 1 or 2 front wheels, I'd want something that high and top heavy to lean so it doesn't fall over around corners.

On the plus side the heavy construction looks like it could take some serious knocks before the driver/rider gets badly hurt and be quite easy to repair. That's important here.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
I've seen it too; what he's done is really damned neat, and I think he later mentioned that he would have used something like fiberglass instead but has no experience with it or tools to use it.
My only concern, is that it's a lot of weight loaded onto that little single-cylinder.

Ye using fiber and resin is a completely different kettle of fish to what he did.
And can get pretty heavy too if you don't vacuum out the excess resin.

It's heavy, but it's a practical vehicle that's easy to repair and should protect the occupant pretty well.

I cant help wondering how well 2 (FWD) or 3 hub motors with regen would work to offset the weight.
Perhaps a hybrid setup..?

Bigwheel said:
Good fabrication skills! Thanks for sharing.

Pleasure! :)
Ye it's amazing and inspiring how he just seems to have just sucked something that looks so 'factory' out of his thumb.

That's one of the coolest things i've seen in a while.

Back