Bike not shifting down

Sketch89

1 mW
Hi all, we recently bought a Vogue Carry 2, really nice to transport the kids around town. However I noticed that the gears/shifting will go up, but not go down. I checked the adjustments of the cable and that's alright. The cable is able to pull the gears/shifting tighter and therefor shifts up. However, I think there might be a spring inside that isn't working correctly or I need to use some kind of lubricant. I did it once with some spray (WD40) but that only worked for a short while. Any hints?

Shimano trigger shifter? If so, they can become gummed up inside through age and disuse. I usually flush the mechanism with degreaser, then apply chain lube. If that doesn't get it clicking, I have to remove the cover and work the ratchet pawls back and forth with a pick to loosen them up.

If the cable is pinched or constricted somewhere along the bike, then the derailleur's spring tension often isn't enough to make the upshift.

Sketch89 said:
Hi all, we recently bought a Vogue Carry 2, really nice to transport the kids around town. However I noticed that the gears/shifting will go up, but not go down. I checked the adjustments of the cable and that's alright. The cable is able to pull the gears/shifting tighter and therefor shifts up. However, I think there might be a spring inside that isn't working correctly or I need to use some kind of lubricant. I did it once with some spray (WD40) but that only worked for a short while. Any hints?

I'd pull the cable from the housing, lube it, and reinstall. Might not be the issue, but won't hurt. This is an internally geared hub?

Chalo said:
Shimano trigger shifter? If so, they can become gummed up inside through age and disuse. I usually flush the mechanism with degreaser, then apply chain lube. If that doesn't get it clicking, I have to remove the cover and work the ratchet pawls back and forth with a pick to loosen them up.

If the cable is pinched or constricted somewhere along the bike, then the derailleur's spring tension often isn't enough to make the upshift.

Its not a derailleur, its a hub gear. Its a shimano 7 shift which you can shift up or down by rotating at the handle. I can try just to use degreaser and apply chain lube as you say. or simply from outside or do i need to remove parts from the gearing?

E-HP said:
Sketch89 said:

I'd pull the cable from the housing, lube it, and reinstall. Might not be the issue, but won't hurt. This is an internally geared hub?

Ah oke, can try that. Isn't it hard to get the cable back in?

Sketch89 said:
E-HP said:
Sketch89 said:

Ah oke, can try that. Isn't it hard to get the cable back in?
You could get a cable luber from Amazon for $8 or so, and not have to remove the cable from the housing.

Just looked into it in more detail and indeed its the cable. Clearly shows that after disconnecting the wire. Will get some lubricant and try to get it in. Seems though, as all the youtube videos talk about wires that only have parts that are covered by a plastic housing but here it is the entire cable.

Sketch89 said:
Just looked into it in more detail and indeed its the cable. Clearly shows that after disconnecting the wire. Will get some lubricant and try to get it in. Seems though, as all the youtube videos talk about wires that only have parts that are covered by a plastic housing but here it is the entire cable.

Replace the cable (with a die-drawn stainless one) and housing. You might free up your old one, but it will never run smoothly like new. It's not difficult. A bike shop will do it for you if you don't have appropriate tools for the job.

nexchg1.gif

Bikeshop replace the cable, did it at a fair price and within half an hour or something. The guy showed me that the cable wasn't able to move in the housing once he detached it.

Back