TORQUE

madmaxx151

1 µW
HOW DO I GET THE MOST TORQUE out of my 52v,20ah battery,1000w(1800peak)motor,33amp controller 11-34 cog,52crankset. PLEASE HELP a new controller that's programmable and upgrade controller to a 50amps? I'm new to ebikes. i can fix anything, I have go carts to harleys. so I can replace anything but electricity not so much. i have severe neuropathy in hands and feet so I'm abull in a china shop. finest isn't my strong suit. thx for any help given thx

madmaxx151 said:
HOW DO I GET THE MOST TORQUE out of my 52v,20ah battery,1000w(1800peak)motor,33amp controller 11-34 cog,52crankset. PLEASE HELP a new controller that's programmable and upgrade controller to a 50amps? I'm new to ebikes. i can fix anything, I have go carts to harleys. so I can replace anything but electricity not so much. i have severe neuropathy in hands and feet so I'm abull in a china shop. finest isn't my strong suit. thx for any help given thx

Can you provide more info on your battery (what cells it's made of, current rating, etc.)? Increasing the controller current through the controller, by upgrading or modifying, will give you more torque as long as your battery can provide the necessary current.

https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?motor=M2705&batt=B5220_GA&cont=cust_33_66_0.03_V&hp=0&axis=mph&frame=mountain&autothrot=false&throt=100&grade=0&wheel=26i&mass=110&cont_b=cust_50_100_0.03_V&motor_b=M2705&batt_b=B5220_GA&mass_b=110&hp_b=0&bopen=true

madmaxx151 said:

33 amp usually means it is at least 60amp peak capacity, which seems about right for your battery unless it is rc-grade lipo.
Remember however, 'max torque' happends at max amps indeed, but actual *power* is actually usually really low, because most of your amps is wasted to heat up your motor and possibly destroy it.

If you mention crankset/cogs, than this is a crankd drive type middrive, so simply going with smaller from chainring and lower gears (there are up to 10-52T cassettes avalable) is an easy way to get truly monstrous torques delivered to your wheel at high efficiency.

Which motor? Is it a hubmotor in a wheel? Or is it a middrive powering thru the pedal chain to the rear wheel? Or something else? (which type you have can make a huge difference to how you can increase the torque, and by how much, without replacing it).

A link to the specific one you bought will help (links to the battery and controller you have will help us help you, too).

What size wheels / tires do you have? This may also affect the "gearing" and thus the torque, especially for a hubmotor in a wheel. (smaller wheels = more torque / lower speed for the same conditions otherwise).

Next, how much torque do you need? If you don't have a specific number in mind, then what specific application do you need the torque for? Knowing this may help us help you figure out the best way to do that.

Some notes:

If the battery can't supply the current required without sagging in voltage too much, it won't be able to give you as much power as you may need to do the work you need the system to do.

If the motor is a middrive thru the pedal gearing, you can change to smaller front chainring(s) and larger rear, to get more torque from both your pedals and from the motor, without changing anything electrical. Changing to a smaller diameter drive wheel would also do this.

madmaxx151 said:

Back