A few updates to the bike - now very happy with it. Very smooth, completely silent, quick for 36v and economical.
Things that were an issue -
1. Halls weren't working and completely my mistake. I change the terminations and mixed up the 1-5 sequence, once I'd pulled back the heat shrink on the phase runner my mistake became obvious. So halls work perfectly.
2. Couldn't keep up with the speed with 36t front and the original shimano 14t rear - swapped to a dnp 11t rear and still couldn't keep up. So now I have a 42t front thats the largest that will fit on the bike - with a faster motor it'd definitely have to be something like a patterson or schlumpf.
3. Crazy Bob tyre wouldn't mount on the front rim properly so went with the Maxxis Gypsy - swapped the wheel from the big hit over as the hub doesn't have the cups to make it fit the forks. The Bob has a double bead thats a royal pita. Pretty good tyre apart from that.
To fit the 42t and avoid chain drops I needed to add the right size bash ring and chain guide AND needed to sort out the worn rear derailleur. It's a 2010 SRAM X0 and the spring was weak - fortunately there is an adjustment slot in the derailleur for just such a problem. Seems to be doing the trick but I've got a clutched RD coming and will fit that if required.
Increased the regen in the phaserunner to a max battery current of 25A and max phase current of 90A - pretty much the max possible. It's really nice to have the extra range free. Max current limit on the CA is set to 35A in the off-road mode. Changed the grips to ergo ones with bar ends for a bit more comfort.
Next upgrade will be voltage based
Paul has some 14s with the 33G at an appealing price....