EM3ev vs Luna Batteries and Kits

Show off your E-bike creation here.
Boondocksaints   1 mW

1 mW

EM3ev vs Luna Batteries and Kits

Post by Boondocksaints » May 21 2019 2:22pm

EM3ev seems to have things on sale at cheaper prices than Luna.

Is there a reason to buy Luna over EM3ev? It seems like you get more battery for the cost with EM3ev and the BBSHD is also cheaper.

Am I missing something?

Tommm   10 kW

10 kW

Re: EM3ev vs Luna Batteries and Kits

Post by Tommm » May 21 2019 2:59pm

Boondocksaints wrote:
May 21 2019 2:22pm

Is there a reason to buy Luna over EM3ev? It seems like you get more battery for the cost with EM3ev and the BBSHD is also cheaper.

Am I missing something?
Afaik em3ev ship from china and Luna from US. Depending on where you live you might get hit with different ship costs/tariffs.

Boondocksaints   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Boondocksaints » May 21 2019 3:14pm

Tommm wrote:
May 21 2019 2:59pm
Boondocksaints wrote:
May 21 2019 2:22pm

Am I missing something?
Afaik em3ev ship from china and Luna from US. Depending on where you live you might get hit with different ship costs/tariffs.
Thank you.

RunForTheHills   100 W

100 W

Post by RunForTheHills » May 21 2019 3:43pm

I looked at both when I bought my battery. I almost went with the Wolfpack as it is fully potted and they were offering a clear (naked) version of it a month or so ago that looked pretty cool. The potting makes it more water and shockproof, but harder to service. I ended up ordering a Jumbo Shark 14S5P from EM3EV because I wanted the extra AH capacity of a 5P over a 4P. In fact, it just arrived today.

flat tire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by flat tire » May 21 2019 3:52pm

EM3 is probably more professional than Luna. I don't want to worry about whether the person processing my order is on acid and sends me bottom brackets when I order a motor.

RunForTheHills   100 W

100 W

Post by RunForTheHills » May 21 2019 4:06pm

flat tire wrote:
May 21 2019 3:52pm
EM3 is probably more professional than Luna. I don't want to worry about whether the person processing my order is on acid and sends me bottom brackets when I order a motor.
There is something to be said for warning others if you have had an actual bad experience with Luna, gave them a chance to make it right, and they didn't. However, to just make random comments like that seems unfair.

flat tire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by flat tire » May 21 2019 4:24pm

What makes you think I didn't?

RunForTheHills   100 W

100 W

Post by RunForTheHills » May 21 2019 4:49pm

How would I know if you did? You didn't relate a specific experience with them. You just made a broad statement implying that their employees are high on drugs. I know it was meant as sarcasm. I just think it is unfair to trash a company's reputation on the Internet without giving your reasons for doing so. There are certainly some bad companies out there that deserve their reputations. However, it is hard for a good company that makes mistakes and tries to correct them to stay in business if there is trash talk about them on the Internet. Particularly if it is in an influential forum in their industry like this one.

Fastest1   10 W

10 W

Post by Fastest1 » May 21 2019 5:59pm

I have purchased BBS02’s, HD’s and batteries from both vendors. I have had good experiences with both also.
I have also had problems with a BMS on a EM3EV battery and a controller on a BBSHD from Luna.
Neither were within the warranty period yet I received excellent technical support and replacements at my cost.
I felt all was very fair and wouldnt hesitate to do business with either vendor again.
In fact I know I will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bakaneko   100 W

100 W

Post by bakaneko » May 22 2019 7:37am

I purchased something small from Luna and it came quickly with a good automated email chain. That being said, I am not that big of a fan of the owner and his rants against other companies (competition) and those not himself.

He literally said our stuff is not impressive, mundane/simple, and doesn't blip on his radar. Tell that to a kid/layman that just put together his/her first kit and now has set a "fire" of creativity and open a whole new world of enjoyment and science. Tell that guy "yeah your shit is mundane and unimpressive"; no, even though it may seem simple to many of you its not to him/her. Its the start of something new and maybe something great down the line.

Its this arrogance and disregard for DIYers (prob same of all ebike companies) that bothers me. Anywho, for a company they sent the product and communicated well. And guys, I am from the gas motorized bike world too. I can tell you all the vendors there except for like two (SBP) are like F- ratings.

2old   100 kW

100 kW

Post by 2old » May 22 2019 8:58am

I've ordered at least ten different times from Luna (probably more like 15, but can't remember all of them), batteries, BBS02's , Cyclones and small parts. The one time there was a problem it was rectified quickly and courteously. I met Paul from em3ev at Interbike and he seemed like a great guy and probably my experience with them would have been good too. However at the time their prices were higher than Luna's.

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » May 22 2019 10:01am

The wire bonded connections and potting on the Wolf pack make it about the safest pack on the market from a fire safety standpoint. It should also be very durable.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » May 22 2019 11:29am

EM3EV is ran by an engineer with an obsessive attention to detail, and has focused on making the best battery packs on the planet. In his battery listings, you will see things intentionally derated, which is rare in this industry. Paul sort of... underpromises and overdelivers.

Lunacycle is ran by a marketer and makes a few good packs but also resells or rebrands a decent amount of low quality merchandise you can find on aliexpress and isn't very picky about the quality of goods, and has a history of fluffing up specifications ( for example, selling a ~350w rated Xiongda as a 750-900 watt motor, and refusing to change that when contradicted with a dyno sheet from Xiongda themselves )

Personalities aside, i am more liable to make my purchases from an engineer-ran, detail oriented company like em3ev, even if i take a kick to the nuts with Chinese tariffs or shipping.
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent