Electra e-cruiser build

My project started with a Miami summer. As many of you will know southern Florida in summer is hot as hell and humid, to the point that, for a European like me, I consider myself to be a prisoner of AC. Unfortunately my little garage does not have AC, so my ebike build came from a desire to have a project to tinker with in my living room last summer.

The inspiration on what to build came from a thread by Calfee20 (thank you!) over on electricbike.com, where he described his build of a bike based on an Electra Cruiser frame. So I scanned Craigslist and found someone selling an large steel Electra Cruiser frame. Then began the process of buying components:
  • MXUS 3K Turbo hubmotor, thumb throttle, magnetic brake switch, chain tensioner on AliExpress.
  • Battery, charger, sine wave controller, cycle analyst, spokes and connectors from Grin.
  • Rims, tyres, freewheel, front hub, chainring, pedal set and adapter, front fork bearing and headset, disc brake components and so on from eBay.
  • New front forks from the U.K., needed forks with a disc mount.
  • Handlebars from Jones.
Total cost comes to about $2000 I reckon.

Thus began a few weeks of summer evenings surrounded by boxes gradually making my ebike. It’s been a fun learning process, and the end result has exceeded my expectations. The bike is a heavy lump, a big steel frame with a 20ish pound hub motor at the back. Because of the long wheelbase it actually feels like an old classic motorcycle, not very manoeuvrable but once you’re rolling and leaning it through the corners it’s brilliant. Top speed is about 37 mph, so I can happily hang with the car traffic and avoid riding in the gutter being overtaken by texting housewives. Everyone who tries it comes back with a manic grin on their face, always fun to see the reactions.

The traffic here is getting worse and worse, and parking is becoming more expensive and more of a pain in the ass. The ebike is the solution - unlike a motorcycle I filter to the front of the queue of cars at every traffic light then I can park it for free when I get to my destination. This means that for errands or lunch dates
it is a much faster form transport than my car. So far I have only done 800 completely reliable miles on it, as it is used for lots of little 10 mile trips rather than big outings.

So the idea of writing this brief description was to maybe inspire someone else as I was myself inspired by someone’s build thread, and equally to answer any questions if anyone is doing something similar and wants any pointers.

As you can see from the photos below my build is fairly rough, wires just tie wrapped in place, for me it is about function over form! Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• 7230A095-3F9B-4EB7-81D1-3A9E87EABEE1.jpeg
    7230A095-3F9B-4EB7-81D1-3A9E87EABEE1.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 1,205
  • 928AF043-7396-4D18-8819-752D3857495B.jpeg
    928AF043-7396-4D18-8819-752D3857495B.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 1,205
  • DE3B52D7-C692-43BD-BE35-6692E5BE463C.jpeg
    DE3B52D7-C692-43BD-BE35-6692E5BE463C.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 1,205
Florida_rosbif said:
Unfortunately my little garage does not have AC,
that's generally easy to fix. if it has a window you can install a window mounted ac unit. if not, there are some that just use hoses to duct the heat back outside. they dont' work nearly as well but they do work. or you can cut a hole in the wall and mount a window ac unit in the wall. or add ducting to your existing house ac system to also cool the garage. if the garage is not insulated, just insulating it would help a lot, includng the back of the big door(s).

for me it is about function over form!

same for me, if you look at my sb cruiser thread, that uses a pair of those mxus 3ks.

Looks great...……….How is your watts per mile working out. I put an extra battery in mine and it brought the weight up to 98 pounds!

Hi guys

I'm looking at putting a motor on my Electra cruiser too.

I have a cyc x1 pro but want to try and get the battery into the frame nicely, have you guys seen anyone who does slick battery framing?

Not sure whether I will go 48 or 52v yet and need to upgrade brakes, service igh etc.

Any tips from your experience with this frame?
2ec73727115d6cf959eaf44150a3889c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bikegirl said:
I have a cyc x1 pro but want to try and get the battery into the frame nicely, have you guys seen anyone who does slick battery framing?
Yes, there are lots of examples in the battery housing htread
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12847
if you want to make your own. (or maybe find one you like there, and see if you can convince the maker to build you one, too, if they're still around the forum)

Back