Best Starter Frame for Bafand BBSHD

I am building my first ebike and am being overwhelmed by the number of choices. I prefer no full suspension because I want racks and fenders. My budget is $1,000-$1,500 (bike alone) and if warranted up to around 2K for the bike.

I have been scouring Bikes Direct and Bike Island for a while now.

It's just I'm overwhelmed by the choices and this is my first ebike build (previous normal road bike and MTB bike were just recently stolen.)

I'm planning on putting a Bafang BBSHD with Ludicrous controller on the frame.

I was leaning toward getting a bike that comes with "plus" tires or a fat bike. A Plus bike has tires that are bigger than traditional tires and smaller than fat bike tires - 3" width as opposed to 1.6 to 2.6 for standard’ MTB tires.

Anyone have any input or opinions on if I should just get a fat bike and then switch out the tires so I always have the option of larger fat bike tires?

I live in a NYC and do not do much offroad at all. Of course that option is always nice to have, but mostly I do city riding and deal with potholes.

There are even some Titanium options, which I'm considering.

In your opinion, what is the best type of frame to start with:

1. Fat Bike - can switch out slimmer tires, but have option of fat.
2. 29'er PLUS MTB Hardtail
3. 27.5 PLUS MTB Hardtail

Boondocksaints said:
I am building my first ebike and am being overwhelmed by the number of choices. I prefer no full suspension because I want racks and fenders. My budget is $1,000-$1,500 (bike alone) and if warranted up to around 2K for the bike.

I have been scouring Bikes Direct and Bike Island for a while now.

It's just I'm overwhelmed by the choices and this is my first ebike build (previous normal road bike and MTB bike were just recently stolen.)

I'm planning on putting a Bafang BBSHD with Ludicrous controller on the frame.

I was leaning toward getting a bike that comes with "plus" tires or a fat bike. A Plus bike has tires that are bigger than traditional tires and smaller than fat bike tires - 3" width as opposed to 1.6 to 2.6 for standard’ MTB tires.

Anyone have any input or opinions on if I should just get a fat bike and then switch out the tires so I always have the option of larger fat bike tires?

I live in a NYC and do not do much offroad at all. Of course that option is always nice to have, but mostly I do city riding and deal with potholes.

In your opinion, what is the best type of frame to start with:

1. Fat Bike - can switch out slimmer tires, but have option of fat.
2. 29'er PLUS MTB Hardtail
3. 27.5 PLUS MTB Hardtail
I have plenty of opinions.
Skip the titanium unless it is a huge diameter tubing and or you are very light. Though resilient with great comfort it is very flexible. Not what you want especially with the added weight of the Bafang and battery.
I have my HD Ludicrous on a specialized stumpjumper with a lefty fork.
I wouldnt buy a hardtail just because the comfort of a FS. The has to be rack options for a full suspension bike if not.
It would be simple to create different struts to support a rack.
Also check out Ebay and a vendor “pros closet”. They always have great deals on lightly used frames, bikes, clothing, whatever cycling related.
Ok I did read that your were mostly pavement.
I dont like fat tire bikes. I do like large tires on a mtn bike but not as extreme as what fat bikes are. I run a 2.8 and a 2.6 rear in 26”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree with pretty much everything above. Full suspension makes a huge difference, even on pavement. The roads around here get pretty bad by spring every year,

There are a lot of Walmart bikes with full suspension floating around, but try to resist the temptation...

Around here it seems that craigslist bikes are for some reason expensive, but Facebook marketplace wasn’t. After a week or so of hunting every day I found a FS frame with a nice, big triangle for a battery and solid workmanship — a K2 Attack.

Boondocksaints said:
I'm planning on putting a Bafang BBSHD with Ludicrous controller on the

How fast do you plan to ride?

Based on experimenting with different speeds over the bumps on my hard tail along my route each day: If under 15-17mph, about any bike will do unless the surface is really rough, with 2.5 tires with slightly lower pressures (35 psi). Between 17-20 mph, my cheap suspension seat post becomes more active, so the front suspension (which is decent) soaks up most of the bump, and the seat post helps, but you still get a jolt when seated. Bigger tires would help, but my rim won’t support a plus size tire (but plenty of from clearance). Above 20 mph, I try to avoid the bigger bump, but smaller (2”) bumps aren’t a problem.

I probably wouldn’t go for a fat bike, but plus size will have benefits if using a hardtail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fat tire bbshd

excellent combo

nyc roads rough

all terrain nice air ride

compared quality full suspension

less cost and complexity

Fastest1 said:
I have plenty of opinions.
Skip the titanium unless it is a huge diameter tubing and or you are very light. Though resilient with great comfort it is very flexible. Not what you want especially with the added weight of the Bafang and battery.
I have my HD Ludicrous on a specialized stumpjumper with a lefty fork.
I wouldnt buy a hardtail just because the comfort of a FS. The has to be rack options for a full suspension bike if not.
It would be simple to create different struts to support a rack.
Also check out Ebay and a vendor “pros closet”. They always have great deals on lightly used frames, bikes, clothing, whatever cycling related.
Ok I did read that your were mostly pavement.
I dont like fat tire bikes. I do like large tires on a mtn bike but not as extreme as what fat bikes are. I run a 2.8 and a 2.6 rear in 26”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Raketemensch said:
I agree with pretty much everything above. Full suspension makes a huge difference, even on pavement. The roads around here get pretty bad by spring every year,

There are a lot of Walmart bikes with full suspension floating around, but try to resist the temptation...

Around here it seems that craigslist bikes are for some reason expensive, but Facebook marketplace wasn’t. After a week or so of hunting every day I found a FS frame with a nice, big triangle for a battery and solid workmanship — a K2 Attack.

Thank you both for your input. The 2 main reasons I didn't decide on a full suspension is :

1. Much higher cost
2. I want to fit a large triangle battery, which is hard to finagle on a FS.
3. Added maintenance and complexity - I'm a noob in dealing with maintenance.
4. I have a Tubus rack I want to put on.

I actually had one more question about groupsets:

In your opinion, would the higher end, lighter groupsets like Deore XT be more fragile on an ebike due to the materials?

E-HP said:
How fast do you plan to ride?

Based on experimenting with different speeds over the bumps on my hard tail along my route each day: If under 15-17mph, about any bike will do unless the surface is really rough, with 2.5 tires with slightly lower pressures (35 psi). Between 17-20 mph, my cheap suspension seat post becomes more active, so the front suspension (which is decent) soaks up most of the bump, and the seat post helps, but you still get a jolt when seated. Bigger tires would help, but my rim won’t support a plus size tire (but plenty of from clearance). Above 20 mph, I try to avoid the bigger bump, but smaller (2”) bumps aren’t a problem.

I probably wouldn’t go for a fat bike, but plus size will have benefits if using a hardtail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how fast as I don't have much experience on ebikes. But why not have the option of faster? I weigh 195 lbs.

In your opinion, would the higher end, lighter groupsets like Deore XT be more fragile on an ebike due to the materials?

kcuf said:
fat tire bbshd

excellent combo

nyc roads rough

all terrain nice air ride

compared quality full suspension

less cost and complexity

Thank you. It's a compelling argument about less cost and complexity.

not only cost complexity

9th ave around 50’s

fat tires definitely soften

so called bike lane

Unless you really want a BBSHD/ want to build your own, this would also work for your needs
https://longisland.craigslist.org/bik/d/farmingdale-2018-rad-rover-mountain/6882605093.html

PRW said:
Unless you really want a BBSHD/ want to build your own, this would also work for your needs
https://longisland.craigslist.org/bik/d/farmingdale-2018-rad-rover-mountain/6882605093.html

Thanks for the find! I want a little more power and range.

Back