Scott CR1 | X1 Pro | 14s 45a

I was in the process of fitting a BBSHD to my nice road bike, when I found that it wouldn't fit at all. What a bummer. That's what I wanted, something more sensible. Then, I looked over at my X1 pro, sitting there collecting dust, and wondered, " what if ... "

And so, the Abomination came to life. An absurdly over-powered carbon racing road bike. Or, is it? Running 14s 45a, it makes right around 2000w to the wheel, losses considered. That's the power of a pro 1,2 athlete, or track sprinter human. The bike feels about 50 lbs, plus 125 lb rider, so it's not too heavy either.

And, it is another type of bike that is actually designed for the 40-45 mph that it can easily achieve, assuming you are sensible about where and when you use that performance. Actually, it does 50 mph. Perhaps even more. I don't have a good way to make a video, but I want to before taking this thing apart. Weight balance at all speeds is awesome, braking power at 40 mph is awesome, just as good as a saint 4-piston with ice-tech 203 rotor and full regen (another ebike of mine).

Just to add to my awesome ebike experiences, last night I came across a Florida Man laying down in the middle of the bike trail, rolling around all semi-conscious and shit. There was a bottle of some type of cleaning solution (reeked of alcohol/acetone) sitting on its side, next to the park bench close to the dude. So, yeah, you have to watch out for huffers going to another world late at night, when you joyride the Florida bike trails.

Not to mention the 2 dudes on gas powered drift trikes racing me as well. I took them badly, lol. I also took off when the huffer dude was coming back to life. Don't want to be messing with that. That's why you need ebikes for the florida night, to get yourself out of trouble just as fast as you got into it. No amount of open world computer games can give you that type of infinite chaos that only reality can provide.

trsO3pU.jpg

JdWUQJJ.jpg

mfiERTf.jpg

Ez90XVD.jpg

wCDwR88.jpg

s8lYVKQ.jpg

Qyn56mJ.jpg

5C61Zjr.jpg

QjmCckI.jpg

I so love the ghetto ratchet strap em3ev battery mount. I just recently mounted one like that in an only slightly more sophisticated way.

That is a hell of a lot of power on a roadbike. I'd love to see video of it, if you have the opportunity to show it.

..and interesting urban obstacles to deal with. I like how 'florida man' is a well known stereotype at this point. Yeah, another reason i design everything to go high speed is just to get out of danger when it presents itself. In a car dominated society, most people who are not in the car lanes are usually in financial trouble. We have 'Utah man' over here too.

The optimized nature of your build is very impressive. Actual aero.

Your brakes are probably better than most bikes going that fast since there is lots of conductive thermal mass on the rims.

neptronix said:
I so love the ghetto ratchet strap em3ev battery mount. I just recently mounted one like that in an only slightly more sophisticated way.

Hell yeah my dude. It sure beats a ton of zip ties that you can't get tight enough, or reuse again. I wish I could find an even smaller version, so I don't have such enormous and super sharp ratchets by my legs, lol. Scooting them down actually clears everything, and they have kept it in place.

neptronix said:
That is a hell of a lot of power on a roadbike. I'd love to see video of it, if you have the opportunity to show it.

I may end up modding it some more, turn it into a hybrid with more comfy seat, more reduction for acceleration, etc. So, yes I will make videos. It's super light and aero efficient, a good platform to improve on.

flat tire said:
The optimized nature of your build is very impressive. Actual aero.

lol, could you imagine some zip 404's on this thing? I recently worked on a customer's new bike, that was an $11,000 Colnago with 40mm ENVE wheels, Dura Ace Di2, just beautiful. I will never look at those bikes the same again. A perfect frame would be any 68/73mm threaded shell with thru axle disc brake wheelset. That's the ultimate road platform for any good mid drive IMO.

Nice build! That looks like a lot of fun.

hypertoric_amplituhedron said:
Hell yeah my dude. It sure beats a ton of zip ties that you can't get tight enough, or reuse again. I wish I could find an even smaller version, so I don't have such enormous and super sharp ratchets by my legs, lol. Scooting them down actually clears everything, and they have kept it in place.

I had a similar situation with using ratchet straps. I ended up moving to wide hook and look straps (no buckle etc...) and it worked out great. With the foam allow some compression; the hook and look straps will stay very secure.

I plan to do something similar, but saw your display is rotated 90 degrees. Is there an option to specify that in software or something so you aren't reading everything sideways?

The x1 pro display is for the left side of the handlebar, so this position is correct. It's actually in a bad place for my hands, and should be moved to the stem, as well as the throttle (which I also have changed since then).

Oh cool. Could you upload some new pics of the setup?

Ever since Cyc Motor released the torque sensing bottom bracket, I've been more interested in the value of this motor of a cyclone.

So sorry man, I took it apart to build this one!

But, since I have built and currently use both mid drive systems, I can be of help anyways. I do not have the torque sensing bb yet. My 2 cents on the two kits in their current form on the market:

The cyclone 3000:

- about $200 cheaper, even with the $120 UHD crank freewheel, from SBP
- a bit heavier
- is easier to program the controller
- seems to have more low end torque than the x1 pro
- has nylon gears that will wear out, need greasing/replacing
- cheaper to reconfigure gearing (maybe?), with off the shelf chains/chainrings (vs. 219 chains/rings)
- more complex to install, but not too crazy
- has longer bb cup threads for far better engagement on 68mm shells, a very good thing
- crank arms fit far tighter, and need a puller to remove, a very good thing

I rode the beach bike through some fairly demanding offroad trails, and it had all of the low end grunt I needed to power over stuff. This is using the 60 amp 12fet controller limited to 30a, which may be the reason due to extra phase amps.

The x1 pro:

- lighter weight
- more expensive
- not easy to program right now, since the firmware updates are still in dev mode. We shall see about that....
- has metal planetary gears, a good thing
- easier/faster to install
- has more efficient motor laminations
- seems to be quieter from the same distance away
- standalone motor can take crazy high power levels beyond stock cyclone, as seen from Alan Hu's videos

I do like this x1 pro, though. A lot. I haven't taken it through any demanding off road conditions yet, due to the nature of the bike. Some of my complaints will go away with the programming. Considering the manufacturing quality and claimed programming features that we will finally see one day, it is a better middrive over the cyclone.

I'm waiting for Alan Hu to come out with a plug and play FOC controller upgrade, which I'm sure he is very likely working on as we speak. Combined with that, it will be one of the best middrives on the market, for prob $1000~$1100.

Back