Huffy Mayhem | Cyclone 3000 | 14s 30a

I'm not the kinda guy who buys a huffy walmart bike. I am, however willing to accept one when it's given to me for free, in reasonable condition. Then of course, turn it around and build a fully functional beach ebike! Since the salt will take it eventually, I won't care, due to the minimal investment. I also needed something to tackle the soft sand, and get into the interior of Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine, FL, where my mom lives. The island is 15 miles long, inlet to inlet, and I can see the whole thing on one charge (35 miles , ~900wh).

The environment transition is really neat, too. One moment you're cruising down a deserted beach, with no one in sight for a few miles. Then, cross over the dunes (at the north end, using the park ranger access trail), and it opens up to an undeveloped grassland, which looks like it's right out of Far Cry 2. You can still hear the roar of the ocean. This is what the FL coastline used to look like, before humans invaded.

I also use it for the ultimate shell collecting vehicle, hence the basket on the rack. Deserted beaches provide a lot more exotic stuff just lying around, untouched for years. Also, I know controllers are supposed to be mounted wires down, but they would be in a bad salty sand collection area. So, I did as much as I could to shield it from anything. So far so good. I am man enough to report my failures, should I get water intrusion on this setup.

vVQxibZ.jpg

1LCipvX.jpg

F918XE6.jpg

B5VIKrH.jpg

4rFPmKJ.jpg

oumTAyC.jpg

3a7Bv5Y.jpg

Ixnot4U.jpg

tJymhzN.jpg

SUBNfTt.jpg

mXQMHVf.jpg

RYmi8ye.jpg

lZo9rtM.jpg

uLz2iFg.jpg

lLwZO00.jpg

pFWfu4q.jpg

y0Vvggw.jpg

SKIYfGn.jpg

CIUUno9.jpg

BLlTqUB.jpg

JNqAfNc.jpg

Pkx6o6R.jpg

F2rKJtO.jpg

9lbR1Zi.jpg

75N5DPJ.jpg

SoXOJVn.jpg

YpU4p5L.jpg

4GfpUFM.jpg

xg0Hm3i.jpg

tqtc88p.jpg

dzHtPXN.jpg

aC1nUbq.jpg

[youtube]Qn9WZuN603k[/youtube]

[youtube]O8SPJIZhnFQ[/youtube]

[youtube]H2ty0HrCQYk[/youtube]

[youtube]4GEo2DtOzOY[/youtube]

[youtube]QetkcH1RT4I[/youtube]

Bike and location looks great. You seem to like photography and videos. Definitely make a YouTube channel to share if you haven't already. Also, serves as a video repository for you to look at later.

That's my channel! I'm tarkuk on youtube. See the 4d shape projections, filming of hurricanes and car racing vids? All me, my dude.

Question for ya... how did you get the cyclone chain tight in that setup, as so you didn't need the idler pulley? Seems like you usually need to be able to move the motor up/down to get that.

PopTart said:
Question for ya... how did you get the cyclone chain tight in that setup, as so you didn't need the idler pulley? Seems like you usually need to be able to move the motor up/down to get that

I had the idler on when I first built it. But, my 14/44T motor -> crank gearing combo made a perfect, tight enough fit for a 410 chain, so I removed it. After a few good rides on the beach and the off-roading back in there, the chain has loosened up a bit. But, it seems to stay inline where it won't derail. The chain is wide enough to accommodate the natural float over the cogs, which are quite skinny by comparison. So far, so good! I've learned to try to run w/o an idler/tensioner if possible. It's a smoother, quieter ride, and you prob gain a few 10's of watts. I do the same on my x1 pro, no idler on the 219 chain.

Back