Hawk Classic - “stealth-ish” build

PeterpDahl

100 mW
So this will be my build thread for my stealth-ish build.

The bike is a Hawk Classic Sunbeam. It is a german bike built in aluminum, the company went bankrupt, but the bikes lives on :)
This is what it looked like when I bought it

jLxcqi1.jpeg

Since I will be using this most of the year and I live in a climate that is cold and wet - I decided to add some fenders and some lights.

33kybBr.jpeg

Now, this is the bike - let’s move on the the e-bike part. I have ordered a TSZD2 48V that I will be using. Fist step is to get it up and running with std. Firmware, but the plan is to go OpenSource Firmware. I will be running brake sensors, lights and a throttle.

Now to the battery.. This will be a 13s3p made from 21700 4800mAh cells. This will be a stealth-ish build, so I’m making my own batterybox. It will be behind the seattube - right in front of the rear fender - like this:

LGbsvtK.jpeg

That will hold 39 cells, and a BMS.

bZSRY5f.jpeg

n4MCAhn.png

Tx5jmwL.png

..The batterybox is being printed right now - it will be done in 8’ish hours..

Once I have the TSZD2 I can see if there is any room for the bracket that goes in the stays or not - I expect I have to revise the battery box..

Batterybox nearly 100% done printed - and it fits like a glove.. I might have to trim the two small tabs that holds the gear cable and brake cable in order to movethe box slightly upwards.

NHE2CEx.jpg

QYnrJ8p.jpg

zL1YUbS.jpeg

7J71Gs4.jpeg

Slight update, I managed to fit the TSDZ2 today - the bottomn bracket had to be filed a bit on the inside to make the motor slide in - but I managed to get it done.

Cables are mostly done, the battery wires are not routed yet, and the wires for front and rearlight are not connected. The cable for the display I managed to run inside the frame along the brake wires, and the same goes for the headlight wire.

f7XJvFZ.jpg

I need to come up with a better solution than the wire strips - any sugestions?

I also need to hide the display and headlight wires going down to the motor. I think if I can print a “sleeve” for the tube that will conceal the wires..

ejAA58d.jpg

Chainline seems reasonable

9IADiBJ.jpeg

And after a few more iterations on the holders for the 21700 cells, it seems they are good now. Cells are placed in them and test fitted to the batterybox.

eR7u7M8.jpeg

..but needs an adjustments, not enough room for balance wires nor temp sensors.

XMc6jNa.jpeg

..time to get Shapr3D out and do some adjustments - but that is the fun part

Battery is almost done and the capacity has been tested. 14.06Ah from a 13s3p made from 21700 cells. :)

So the BMS (30A) has been connected, a chargeport has been connected and the motor and battery has been connected.
..And lo and behold, I took the first testdrive a few minutes ago. yay! everything works!

Now I need to find a solution to the small bracket for the motor, as it is somewhat in the way for the battery box. And I need to find a higher gearing for it. Running 42t at the front and a Shimano Nexus 3 speed I max out at around 33km/h.

I need to either fit a smaller rear sprocket, or get a bigger front chain ring for it.

Cool looking build. I'm digging the retro look.
PeterpDahl said:

What did you mean by this ^^?

PeterpDahl said:
pwd said:
Cool looking build. I'm digging the retro look.
PeterpDahl said:

What did you mean by this ^^?

Sorry, bad wording :) cable ties i meant.

Ah I see. It's hard to get away from cable ties since they work so well. You've color matched them fairly well so they won't be that noticeable. What is it you don't like about them?

Slight update - the bike has now covered 333Km - and it is pretty cool to ride. I had to up the gearing a bit, first 18t on the rear, then 16t. Goes about 35km/h with little effort, and 45 is pushing it a bit. (limited by gearing).

Battery has been revised a bit, new seat has been fitted, and better tires have been fitted as well.

chuyskywalker said:
PeterpDahl said:
Battery has been revised a bit, new seat has been fitted, and better tires have been fitted as well.

Love the 3d printed/designed case. Got any pics of it after placement before sealing it up?

Unfortunately not - I forgot to take some pictures before sealing it up :/

Back