The Chopper Cycle Dialog (((56k warning)))

magudaman

10 kW
So I have been very busy for the over the last couple weeks finishing up my first visually orientated electric bike. I happened to be lucky enough to acquire a donor frame that already had a motor and wheels around 6 months ago. It still need something to store the batteries, brakes, a controller, ect, but I thought it would be a challenging project to take on.

The first problem was the brakes. There was a disk mount on the motor but no caliber mount for the brake caliber. I was given with the frame a cut up piece of aluminum that was made by US Custom so I did some research and found out that http://www.choppersus.com was the place who manufactured caliber mounts for chopper bikes.

06506.JPG

These mounts are bolt less and rely on the rear drop out for its strength which I quickly learned did not work very well. Eventually during testing the aluminum that goes in the dropout sheared and the mount was close to ruined. I ended up drilling a whole through the frame and the mount to add a ton of strength and it has not moved since.

The next item was where to put the electronics and batteries so that chopper could still maintain a nice look yet still have some range. So it took some searching and deciding but I ended up having an aluminum diamond plate box custom built to specification for my mounting location.

I cut up some heavy rubber hose for damping the vibrations

img5822b.jpg

Once I received the box I had to mount it to the frame.

img5834s.jpg

Add some latches to hold it all together.

img5831k.jpg

Created a piece of plywood to allow for the bolt heads and give me something to attach everything to.

img5838e.jpg

So once everything was running the chopper was working great. It doesn’t have a lot of torque but gets moving and if pedaling is required (hills) it is very light work. After a couple short tests around my block I wanted to take it a little further so I did a nice little 3.5 mile loop. Upon getting back to my house I did an quick inspection of the bike to insure nothing was falling off ect. I also check the box and all the components. The problem I founds obviously by the burn marks on my hand was the controller in a extremely low air flow environment was not happy, in fact was very hot.

SO a new problem: Controller gets to hot
Do I cut holes in the box for some air flow and compromise looks, cut one hole and install a fan and have that buzzing all the time (also find a way to power it), or option C. I choose option C. This option is to use this giant aluminum box as an extension of my heat sink. I first had to thermally bond some aluminum to the bottom of the controller to attach it to the side of the case in put some heat sink grease and I was set. It now runs cool and you can just feel the back the case to see how hot it is getting.

img5902w.jpg

Well it looks like I am done. I’ll do one more ride just down to the girlfriends house, run my watts up and get some stats. I am pushing the bike up their ultra steep driveway and go to give the motor a little throttle to help me out and I hear a nice ziiiinnnnngggg. Looking back I see the axle rotating in the dropouts. I had earlier shifted the motor forward to straighten the rear wheel to track better but had pushed it into a very loose area of the rear drop out that provided no locking what so ever
Now a new problem: Build a new drop out locking system. On my previous builds I used standard box wrenches to help me out with high torques hub motors so I went back to that root and got to work. A 3/8th IN wrench actually works great on this particular axle with a nice tight fit. I drilled the wrench and the frame and installed bolts. Now I have an overly strong mount that could easily handle 2000 watts.

img5910z.jpg

img5913g.jpg

So I have truly reached the end now and feel the design is strong and should provide quite a bit of longevity to sell. Unfortunately while doing this project I reinforced that I could really care less about traditional aesthetics and usually find more beauty in damn good engineering so it gotta go to make room for my next project that will finally use this motor:

motorzk9.jpg

But here are some beauty shots of what I work hard on:

img5849m.jpg

img5844d.jpg

img5847l.jpg

img5894.jpg

img5841x.jpg

img5851l.jpg

img5853.jpg

img5861f.jpg

img5865l.jpg

img5881.jpg

Wow. Super Awesome. thank you !! for coming Up stunning bike. I give you a rate 10/10. The wires are very arranged in system, wires are nicely hide out too!
:wink:

Nice clean build. Very nice! What kind of frame ? Is it one off custom or some production model?

kentlim26 - Thank you very much, that was the intent. In previous builds I had wires everywhere and used 100s of zip ties in the process, and that is what made this project so challenging, to create a clean look.

torker - Good question, and I am not really sure. When I got the frame it wasn't really discussed where it was built but I did find that the guy I got it from bought it originally for $800. I ended up with it because he didn't have the time or the money to piece it together.

This is the kind of thread I thrive to live for.

Sadly, you seem to have finished and are ready to move on to the next dream-come-true.

The bike is GORGEOUS, particularly when we read, as you clearly stated, what you started with.

We all know about batteries and what would be "better" than SLA, etc. However, the diamond-deck battery box
FITS this bike so perfectly in esthetics (sp) and form, the finished product, with your careful craftsmanship,
looks like California pro custom work. KUDOS!!!!!!

More, please? And never apologize for putting in lots of pictures.
Most everyone here can and should have broadband, even if it means paying usurious rates for satellite service;
56K is like, today, like having an 1885 wall phone with magneto ringer, in use in the year 1950, when all others are on dial phones.

Even the slowest broadband is something like ten times faster than dial-up.

Folks still stuck on dial up: I've been online, off and on, since 1983. I only got broadband less than two years ago.

I wasted years of time, waiting for broadband to get cheap, or even available in this neighborhood.
Broadband opens up the entire world for you, that you may watch videos, endless photos, etc.

Sell your wife, move into a dumpster, but get broadband, dial-up sufferers!

And this bike: Wow SIR! Thank you for this thread,

Reid

Reid,

Thanks for the complements! I ended up using the SLA because of cost and availability. For the same watt hours in reliable lifepo4 or lithium poly with a BMS I was looking at more than twice the price. Weight really isn't that much of an issue on this bike since the frame alone weighs ~55lbs. Also to get something like a headway cell or lifebatt I basically need to order them from another country and wait for 2 weeks. The charger was the final problem. I would need to order specific charger for lifepo or use a hobby charger. Personally I would use the hobby charger but to sell to an average joe I could see how that could go terribly wrong. I didn't actually explain this in the above post but I am actually going 3 SLA 12v charger to charge my system to keep everything balanced. It is already wired for this and I just need to get the 3 isolated chargers. I take some pics when I get them.

I finally got around to putting together a short video of the features and a quick ride along video. The ride along turned out really shaky and needs to be redone taped to my helmet. Check it out:

[youtube]X48b8w3rcsA[/youtube]

The video is still being process and should be available in HD soon.

Nice video. Very clean work. I have always wanted to build a chopper. My tour-easy is very comfortable just not too stylish. 100 deg. here today. I haven't even rode mine. Maybe when the sun gets low...Have you had people ask you about it while riding?

Usually I am zipping around my neighborhood pretty good when I was doing testing but man it sure does attract a lot of attention. Every car that passes has everyones eyes on it, people walking on the street follow keep watching, ect. It definitely gets more attention than I'm used to and more than I usually like to attract. My other build usually relied on being stealthy, but a least this one is legal (1000w 20mph). I need to being taking it out more with a for sale sign and just doing rides. It seem like with the attention it gets people would be more interested.

Oh yea. I am sure you won't have any problem selling it. I just did another 5 or 6 mi. on mine out in the country. I never passed 1 car, it was great. I am ready for more range. I knew I wouldn't get much with 7.5 ah sla but it was built on a strict budget. No voltage sag this time. I used part throttle and pedalled alot on the way out and full throttle with a headwind all the way back. I take that back, I passed 1 truck and a grain truck on the way out and they waved. Pretty normal around these small towns, most folks know each other. I've put around 50 mi. on this motor so far. I'd sell it if I knew I could get enough to build another but I got such a good deal on the motor kit so I think I'll put a better seat and batts on it and ride the heck out of it..

Back