My New Bottom Bracket Drive Kolmorgen powered E-bike

sean

100 mW
So this is m E-bike, Version 1.1 (2nd)

I think I posted my first thread when I was still building it in the wrong forum. Here's my original design question thread http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=536

Anyway Here's some info about the Bike rev 1.0 :
1.0:::

Frame: Trek 8000, Nice made in USA bike
Crank Lasco IPS (IPS Standing for Insolent Piece of Shit, way too much play!!!) With machined adapter and 90 tooth gear.
Motor: 24V Kolmorgen with internal controller,
Batteries: 2-12v 20AH SLA's from Batteryspace (or something)
Throttle: 5K pot (see handlebars)
Brakes : Cantilevers
Tires, old knobbies.

Gears:

This configuration with a 9 tooth motor gear and a 90 tooth crank gear along with a 24 tooth chainring resulted in a top speed of ~24 mph in top gear. However whenever you wanted to pedal it was rather retarded with only the 24 tooth front chainring.... I also didn't like my motor mount so I revised...

Top Speed ~24 w/ knobbies
Range never fully tested the range Maybe only rode it about 7-9 debug miles while I decided on rev 1.1.
Acceleration, AWESOME

Here are some pictures of V1.0 E-bike:
566723470_677edfdde6.jpg

566723454_d62d565556.jpg

Anyway Here's some info about the Bike rev 1.1 :
1.1:::

Frame: Trek 4300, cheap crappy china made bike (still decent)
Crank Lasco IPS (IPS Standing for Insolent Piece of Shit, way too much play!!!) With machined adapter and 90 tooth gear.
Motor: 24V Kolmorgen with internal controller,
Batteries: 2-12v 20AH SLA's from Batteryspace (or something)
Throttle: Magura 5k
Horn:Airzounds
Brakes : V-brakes
Tires, High pressure road tires, @ 85-100psi

Gear:
This bike has a lashout gearhead, 4.7-1 (I think) ratio then goes from a 17 toothfreewheeling motor gear to a 90 tooth chainring resulting in a cadence of about 112.
This version has a chain tensioner and a little different motor mount utilizing the water bottle holder bolts. This has a 26, 39 and 52 tooth chainring on the crank. This results in a range of speeds from 9mph to 30.6 (theoretically) more realistically a top speed of ~25mph without wind.

I have been riding this version to work for almost a couple weeks and haven't riden every day but I have riden ~180 miles. I average anywhere from 20mph to ~25 mph depending on wind, and with a tailwind today I averaged ~26 on the way there and about 22 on the way back with the headwind in the afternoon.

I go 8.6 miles each way to work. My max mileage so far in one ride is ~12.6 miles on one charge but I forgot to check the voltage at the end, I imagine it was low; as my top speed had dropped to 19 without wind.

The acceleration is sweet as is the delivery of power and ability to upshift while under power very smoothly!! Downshifting I generally pedal for, as it can be rough, but not too rough for the motor or gearbox.

Here are some pictures of E-bike:Version 1.1
566723434_549c0b9c8d.jpg

566723290_999975d7de.jpg

The only problem I am having is that the internal 24v controller on the kolmorgen motor seems to overheat after about 8 miles at 23-25mph... it overheats at ~185 degrees f on the controller side of the motor. Then it takes a couple minutes to cool back down and turn back on. I ride about 8.5 miles each way to work everyday so some days I have to pedal other days I make it just fine.

I am really wanting to get an external crystalyte controller for at least 48 volts and run this thing at a higher voltage with an external controller. I think it will really come to life with that!

Couple questions:
1) is my soneil charger (24 V 2 amp) auto turn off or trickle charge when charged?? I lust leave it on overnight often as it takes ~8 hrs for a charge from work.
2) is the ratio on the lashouts really 4.7 -1? does anyone know the tooth counts for all the different gears in there??
3) What is the general RPM / V rating for the Kolmorgen?? I heard 2800 @ 24v which would be ~116 rpm/V right?? (not sure here)

Comments are Welcome!!

I'm not really looking for Graphs or Offers of Spreadsheets theorizing this bike's efficiency!! (I own excel ok?)

~Sean

I like the 1.1 motor mount/location a lot better. How much play is in the Lasco crank setup? Do you have any more info on it?

Lowell said:
I like the 1.1 motor mount/location a lot better. How much play is in the Lasco crank setup? Do you have any more info on it?

I don't have a dial meter but the way the freewheel is attached to the square drive for the Bottom Bracket, it doesn't allow you to tighten the freewheel, and it has been sloppy like 1/16" -1/8" play from day one. The chain tensioner keeps is in a loaded position so that it doesn't move and derail or slip.

It was $150 though and it's hardly worth more than a BMW freewheel the spider adapter does allow me to mount multiple chainrings, however Next version I want to have a hubgeared drive system and only one crainring for simplicity.

Version 1.2 will definitely have a crank I make, not bought, buy a freewheel only.

Where is your controller located? I had mine in a bag and it got very hot to the touch in no time. I moved it to the frame of the bike where it would receive ample airflow and now it never gets above around 100 degrees F.

erdurbin said:
Where is your controller located? I had mine in a bag and it got very hot to the touch in no time. I moved it to the frame of the bike where it would receive ample airflow and now it never gets above around 100 degrees F.

The controller is internal to the motor, the rear ~1" of the motor is the controller.

I will be receiving my Crystalyte 48v 35A controller and DB v2 soon and that should eliminate any problems, I haven't had an overheating episode in a few weeks either..

From the smartass comment dept.: looks way too cool to ride in my 'hood... you'd be jumped in a downtown-second. (I know, Corvallis ain't exactly the bombed-out rustbelt.)

From the stupid question dept.: Just how frickin tall are you??

:shock:

TylerDurden said:
From the smartass comment dept.: looks way too cool to ride in my 'hood... you'd be jumped in a downtown-second. (I know, Corvallis ain't exactly the bombed-out rustbelt.)

From the stupid question dept.: Just how frickin tall are you??

:shock:

I am 6'2" it's a fairly small frame though and when I pedal I like my knees to almost straighten at the bottom.

I actually ride most of the time in Albany which is pretty ghetto in that there is a lot of bike theft, I never leave it unattended for long though.

sean said:
I actually ride most of the time in Albany which is pretty ghetto in that there is a lot of bike theft, I never leave it unattended for long though.

Pee-yew. Albany has one very stinky pulp mill. Practically need a gas mask just driving through....

Actually the mill is in Millersburg but yes when you drive through on I5 you definitely notice it, I am far away from it and never smell that, I am much more perterbed by car emmissions...

Back