Can I ride my E-Bike in the Rain ?

Happens all the time out here on the West (Wet) Coast.

BTW what are you doing for weather proofing for your controller.

I recently stuck my 20A controller in a seat bag which is great for the rain and providing I open the bag while in use things don't seem to overheat.

I seem to get caught in the rain quite a bit. I put the controller in a gallon size zip loc bag and rubber band it tight. Works so far. Use the same bags over the throttle and cruise control and except for the one time I used nothing and it tried to kill me it's worked since. I don't trust the waterproofing silicone I used. The bags work.
Mike

Hot-Glue !!

Not the most attractive solution, but so far so good.. i seal all my Anderson conectors this way and everything else that needs sealing.

Great thing about the hotglue is that it's easily removed if required. Sets in seconds, and it just peels off clean !

Attachments

• controller.JPG
    controller.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 3,612
Rhiiiight.... I think you mentioned that before. :lol:

That's one slick lookin' ride there Ypedal. The drop ripple in the puddle under the bike is cool as well...

I've ridden in the rain many times and caught in the odd thunder storm and have never had any issues,my controller and batteries are in a steel can with an overlapping hinged steel top.Then again that was with the old setup.

Haven't been caught in the rain with the crystalyte yet but it will happen.

Has anybody had water enter the motor where the axle sleeve goes into the hub,seems to be a gap there where water may enter :?:

Eric

Thanks for the kind words..

This is the other side.. notice the shipping label stuck to the frame box to cover the air intake, I had another piece to the bottom on the other side that got soaked and was just falling off as i got home ( 6km ride on High-Speed 406 mode all the way home )

The battery box on the downtube works as a fender of sorts, keeps the tire spray away from your face ! great feature !

Rear of the bike was caked with mud this morning, I need to go thru a construction site for a few 100m's every day, between orange cones that block off lanes being re-paved, i kept the cars behind me entertained weaving left-right in slalom going 35 km/h. My ride home washed the bike clean ! :D

I walked thru the whole house for my digital camera dripping wet, and took a picture. Figured i needed picture to say a 1000 words.

Attachments

• rain2.JPG
    rain2.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 3,578
Eric G said:
Has anybody had water enter the motor where the axle sleeve goes into the hub,seems to be a gap there where water may enter :?:

Eric

When you install the motor in the frame, make sure you place the axle so that the wire goes DOWN and then loops up

You want to a void placing the wires along the frame going up where water will just waterslide down and into the axle.. Make a loop and it will drop at the bottom keeping the hub dry.

I have wanted to do this for a while, but now that i have a pile of spare Motor covers I'm going to drill and tap one for a plug on the outer hub side cover , if you ride in rain, just remove the plug when you get home, spin the motor up off the ground and then put the plug back in.

How ironic is this..

Here i am saying the wire should loop down to prevent water from entering the axle .. I click " submit " and start to think... hmmmm

:oops:

I did this because of the rear disk brake, i wanted to protect the wire from getting sliced or worn thru.. but i totally have not sealed the axle yet..

*runs to the toolbox to find silycone tube.. hot glue will not work for this application :!:

Attachments

• motorwire.JPG
    motorwire.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,572
Ja get that all sealed up yet with the silicone??? LOL...

I've got all the wires that connect to the motor sealed up,rubber tubing and silicone,I use an upsidedown "C" to prevent the water from tracking the wire into the motor.

There's a gap between the actual motor and the sleeve covering the axle a little bigger than say 1/16 in. as shown in the pic. Would this be a concern or???

Here's a pic to where I mean...

Thanks
Eric

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_002b.JPG
    ScreenHunter_002b.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 3,531
Bike works fine in the rain. Bionx PL350. I get wet. Bought cheap rain suit. It ripped apart. Bought better one Flame-Retardnt Reflective Poly/Nylon Clothing Yellow Suit, (Jacket/Overalls) 50015T1 from http://www.mcmaster.com I dry now :D
9112tc1s.gif

On this video clip (from 2004) I ride a Crystalyte Hub thru a Resevoir. The wires exit the motor downwards, and I used silicone sealant around the exit point.
No water got into the motor.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=2830041791628409013

[edited date - thanks Xyster]

TechBikes said:
On this video clip (from 1994) I ride a Crystalyte Hub thru a Resevoir. ...

I wish I had known there were ebike kits back then....

Today i took the hose to it !

Yep, never thought i'd intentionally soak the bike, but it was covered in mud, caked on the wires, total mess.. so i did the unthinkable, I hosed down my Ebike !

Kept it plugged in and powered on, ( pointed to the shed. just in case ) and went for it.. then took it for a ride to dry it off. :p

Attachments

• Ebike.JPG
    Ebike.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 3,212
But the caked on mud acts as a UV barrier to protect the paint :(
I also prevents bugs from sticking. Xyster knows how this works.. :wink:

In theory it should be possible to make the whole electrical system submergible. I prefer to just seal the top and leave some kind of vent / drain on the bottom.

If you can spray it with a hose, I'd say it passes the rain test with flying colors.

Back