Ibex Ignition, 9c rear, 6 pack Bosch- "Project Lemon"

Show off your E-bike creation here.
Qwiksand   100 W

100 W

Ibex Ignition, 9c rear, 6 pack Bosch- "Project Lemon"

Post by Qwiksand » Dec 13 2009 11:36pm

Major let down, 10 miles and cracked the frame.

Brief History
This is a 2 year old "all-mountain" Ibex Ignition Super frame that I put probably about 1000 miles on since purchase. I had some warranty work done on the rear swingarm (loose bushing pivots) about 6 months after I got it and I noticed the other upper pivots were getting pretty sloppy too, and since Ibex had already folded, I decided to transform this thing into something useful. This was going to be my Urban Assault Vehicle and fast single-track ripper, but a fatal flaw in the frame design cut my plan short. Don't get me wrong, I don't baby my bikes and this thing has been ridden hard and put away wet, but I was hoping for a little more. I'd seen several reports of similar frame failures over on the ibex forums on M T B R . C O M, but I thought I got a good one since it had survived my abuse so far.

The Build

I shaved off the cable guides from the underside of the top tube and ground down the water bottle mount nubs to make building a triangle enclosure easier. I was originally going to go with acrylic (plexiglass) for the entire case build, but soon into that project I realized it was too fragile to endure the abuse I was likely to put it through. So I went with 16g steel, easily sourced from Lowe's. A little bit of cutting and welding and a whole lot of grinding later, I had a beefy little frame that fit snugly in the triangle.

I used the existing bottle cage mounts on the bottome tube with dome shaped machine screws to give a little more battery pack clearance.

Justin

Qwiksand   100 W

100 W

Re: Ibex Ignition, 9c rear, 6 pack Bosch- "Project Lemon"

Post by Qwiksand » Dec 13 2009 11:47pm

To secure the enclosure to the top tube, I used 1" electrical conduit straps and allen bolts (with a couple spacer washers) that attached to nuts welded to the enclosure frame.

I used 6 Bosch Fatpacks in a staggered pattern to fit the triangle. They're taped up with heavy duty packing tape, hot glue and the ends are coated in that liquid electricla tape crap. Seems to work okay.

The controller is the 9c sold by Ampedbikes and is mounted with two allen bolts to the top of teh enclosure.

I used a 9c rear hub from e-bikekit and secured the shorty torque arm with a couple zip ties (temporary fix).

Justin

TylerDurden   100 GW

100 GW

Post by TylerDurden » Dec 13 2009 11:52pm

Flesh-wound.

Ram a steel bar down the seat tube and pin it in place. :twisted:
Have a Nice Day,

TD

FYI: Adding pictures?

Bored?... take a crack at the unanswered posts

Please post your Watts-at-speed in the survey.

Qwiksand   100 W

100 W

Post by Qwiksand » Dec 14 2009 12:00am

The enclosure, 6 pack and controller weigh in at 17.16 pounds.

Rear 9c with kenda k-rad, disc and 9 speed cluster weighs in at 19.5 pounds.

Compare this with the 6.9 pounds of the stock wheel assembly (feels much heavier than a 12.6 pound difference).

And the rest of the bike, sans wheel and triangle enclosure, weighs in at 27.52 pounds.

Total bike weight before build: approx 34.4 pounds.

Total Ebike weight as ridden to point of failure: approx 64.18 pounds.

Rider weight: approx 195 pounds.

So I nearly doubled the weight of the bike, but it felt as though I quadrupled it. I had to run 50 more PSI in the rear shock to compensate for the dead rear feeling and I think this was the nail in the coffin of an already heavily leveraged rear shock mount assembly. On it's final ride I hit no major drops, just hopped a couple curbs and that was enough apparently.
Justin

Qwiksand   100 W

100 W

Post by Qwiksand » Dec 14 2009 12:05am

I will build a FS ebike here in the near future, but I'm almost certain I will go with an RC motor drive set-up. The direct drive rear hub motor just made the bike feel like a dump truck. It was incredibly smooth, cadillac like ride, but not the quick, responsive bike I was looking for.
Justin

Qwiksand   100 W

100 W

Post by Qwiksand » Dec 14 2009 12:13am

TylerDurden wrote:
Flesh-wound.

Ram a steel bar down the seat tube and pin it in place. :twisted:
Excellent suggestion, and I almost already did it but there's so much excess slop in the rear pivots that it's really just a matter of time before they go too. Chalk this one up to "you get what you pay for".

icecube57   1 GW

1 GW

Post by icecube57 » Dec 14 2009 4:58pm

You need more Amps. If you can find a way to get a 72v 70A controller and find some place to shove 4 more Bosch Packs so you have 5 parallel and 2 series for 72v 11AH you will the speed and acceleration you want buddy. I have 88v 45A myself. The 0-30mph is pretty quick and then the acceleration tapers off as it rises into the 40mph range. 70A would prob rip the wheel off like methods did.

Qwiksand   100 W

100 W

Post by Qwiksand » Dec 15 2009 9:42am

icecube57 wrote:You need more Amps. If you can find a way to get a 72v 70A controller and find some place to shove 4 more Bosch Packs so you have 5 parallel and 2 series for 72v 11AH you will the speed and acceleration you want buddy. I have 88v 45A myself. The 0-30mph is pretty quick and then the acceleration tapers off as it rises into the 40mph range. 70A would prob rip the wheel off like methods did.
Amps would definately help, but it's the heavy rear end that throws off the balance. I think by centrally locating an RC or even a cyclone type set-up, I'd be much happier. Then I'll boost the watts! 8)
Justin

dennis   10 W

10 W

Post by dennis » Dec 19 2009 1:22pm

really nice build...if the center triangle can be made of aluminum and welded to the frame as a stressed member, then you would have a heavy duty bomb proof downhill frame...you would still need a new swing arm though... :)

centralizing the mass in the middle is the way to go, like a motorcycle...the key to more power to the back wheel without problems would be a swingarm drop out like a motorcycle...the Gates Belt drive drop out would make a nice fit for an ultra light but noisy RC drive system http://www.carbondrivesystems.com/insta ... hp?lang=us or if you prefer a quiet stealthy hub motor...it would be best to use a heavy duty swingarm like the http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com.au/ ... omber.html that is made to carry the extra weight of the x5 hub motor.

the only limiting factor right now is the weight of the batteries (even though it has improved immensly in just the past 6-7 years) ...more power & range = more batteries & more weight...there is no getting around the Power-to-weight ratio formula, whether it's an electric bikey or a formula race car.
2007 Dahon MU SL, Bionx PL500HS, Schlumpf High Speed Drive