Evil methods smokes 9C with electric monster truck (pics+vid

methods

1 GW
If you dont know me I am methods - self proclaimed evil genius :twisted:

I like to start the day with toxic chemicals, electricity, and lots of saltwater....

001_CL.jpg
002_CL.jpg
003_CL.jpg
View attachment 9

Ok - now the stage is set. Lets talk about the KMX monster truck -
My Typhoon came with 16" wheels in the front and 20" in the back.
This sucks for a lot of reasons I wont go into here - suffice to say I decided it was time to "Monster Truck My Ride"

I went with 24x3" boggers that work out to about 26"
Pictured is the stock rim in comparison -

017_CL.jpg
008_CL.jpg

Dont even get me started about how I had to lace those wheels up from scratch because of the odd-ball hub...
I built it with as much dish as I dared to widen the wheel base. Rims are Rhyno lite 24"
Tip: When running different size spokes use different colors :wink:

011_CL.jpg
View attachment 5
019_CL.jpg
020_CL.jpg

Ok - so maybe it will work better with two monster truck tires on the front... :?

View attachment 2
032_CL.jpg
033_CL.jpg

Obviously I am going to convert the rear tire as well but I wanted to give it a try like this.

Results?

Handles bumps and jumps MUCH better. Really grabs on soft surfaces - hard surfaces too. Where as before it handled kinda crappy now it bites the corners hard! Certainly hard enough to get up on two wheels.... The point of this post!

Damn! Just edited the video and it is dark :? You can still see the 2 wheel action and the one part where I eat shit going backwards.

10MB - not worth downloading for you folks in the stone age.
Marginally entertaining for those who like to watch a geek try to ride a Monster Trike on 2 wheels.

KMX SMOKE MACHINE

Ah crap... The wife is bitching that she wants to go to dinner - TO BE CONTINUED

-methods

You are SUCH A POSER!

(please don't kill

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8317&start=150#p136684

Knuckles said:
You are SUCH A POSER!

Nobody out there is living and breathing E-bike passion more than Methy (as anyone can see). "Poser" might not mean much to you, but it's fighting words to the people who aren't ;). Just a friendly head's-up. ;)

I am just busting balls. I think method's work is awesome!
I also think he is "way out there"!! More radical than I'll ever be (and most folks here too) hands down.

METHODS has my respect. That is the ONLY reason I want to bust his balls.
Busting Balls = Pure Respect. It's a New York "thing".

Same to you too ... lfp
You know more tech than I will ever learn.

Just having fun and feeling good today. Nothing more.

Got to admit ... methods is a bit of a terrorist! 8)
I L'd-MAO watching the vid. Very cool.

But "busting balls" is a way of showing respect. Not a "dis" at all.
FYI ...

Hey ... ARE YOU BUSTING MY BALLS? If so, COOL!

-K

methods said:
KMX SMOKE MACHINE
TWO HUNDRED DEGREES CELSIUS? :shock: :cry:

You could almost ignite paper with that.... :(

And I love the pics (and the dog). :)

Knuckles said:
I am just busting balls. I think method's work is awesome!
I also think he is "way out there"!! More radical than I'll ever be (and most folks here too) hands down.

METHODS has my respect. That is the ONLY reason I want to bust his balls.
Busting Balls = Pure Respect. It's a New York "thing".

Same to you too ... lfp
You know more tech than I will ever learn.

Just having fun and feeling good today. Nothing more.

Got to admit ... methods is a bit of a terrorist! 8)
I L'd-MAO watching the vid. Very cool.

But "busting balls" is a way of showing respect. Not a "dis" at all.
FYI ...

Hey ... ARE YOU BUSTING MY BALLS? If so, COOL!

-K

Part bustin your own balls, part making sure you're not showing disrespect to the Methy. ;)

I can't believe I missed another Methods experiment/injury/toasted motor. Actually, yer on the edge so we learn allot but often at your cost. I already have enough pain so can't do some of those things. Actually, I am too old and did my share earlier in life. I have only toasted a couple of stock controllers what a pitiful e-bike life I have had. Yes I will have to toast my GM 500W some day just to see what it is like but you are the master. ;^) Great stuff keep it coming. OOPS fergot to say the bike looks really good with the monster tires on it.

200 degrees Celsius, almost 400F
That smoke was probably just unimportant stuff burning off :roll:

Motor still runs. I have not had a chance to test it under load but my guess is that it will run just the same as before.

Motors are unintuitive in that way. . . You would think that the worst you could do to them (like a car) would be to run them up to the max RPM and hold it there. Oddly enough - that is the best thing you can do for them :D

What kills these motors is LOW RPM. I dont necessarily mean just lugging straight up a hill or hard launching - even moderate load at low RPM can slowly build up a deadly amount of heat. It is not like you are going to melt the wires from high current..... It is just that the efficiency of the motor is so poor at those low RPMs that even moderate power can not be sustained.

Now before anybody goes and gets upset thinking that a 9C motor cant handle any power.... it is important to point out that my definition of "moderate load" would probably be equivalent to the average ebikers definition of "hazardous setup" or "destructive testing".

I was running 24S lipo with a 120A current limit on a 9x7 in a 20" rim. That setup is "geared" to run the trike at 40mph and I was loping around at 5mph.
Some of you may remember that I smoked my first X5 doing this same stupid ish.

-methods

P.S. Dont worry Knuckles - you were already on my permanent shit-list so no harm done.

This whole concept of getting good motor RPM at whatever speeds I want to play with is why I'm not so hot on the hubmotor concept. ;)

If they make a decent geared hubmotor with steel/bronze gears, you should give that a shot. When you're dumping 10kw at 5mph into the motor, it could be at ~30-40% efficiency rather than ~10-15%. lol

liveforphysics said:
If they make a decent geared hubmotor with steel/bronze gears, you should give that a shot.

Stop encouraging him Luke sheesh man! :mrgreen:

Bad luck Methy...whats up next ?

KiM

haha nice, pity it's a bit dark and you can't make out the later passes. Did you have both front wheels off the ground when you gunned it or was it just cocking one leg ?

No no - you can only lift one leg at a time. :)
Just a little ol' 9C motor.

I think you would need a 24" drag slick and 50hp to actually lift that lever-arm.

-methods

LOL at thread..its been a long time on here but im always checkin in on you to see that hilarious things you've got going on ...
ps i hate 20 degrees and no heat in garage

::hangs sign in window "see you next spring"::

Awsome rig.. i figured the larger diameter wheels would make it tippier.. hmm.. I'm so getting one of those kmx's once all this white crap (snow) goes away..

Why is it when ever i watch one of your video's i have an urge to go blow up some of my dead battery packs for fun.. :lol:

Gotta luv the hub motors ! :D

Unfortunately I need to focus on my new project for a few weeks so I wont have much time to play with the kart.

I can say that it handles way better with 26" tires than 16" - though it is a bit of a tipper at speed.
As soon as I have time I am going to swap 20" in the front and 24" in the back like the higher end models use.

I think that will be the perfect compromise between skateboard wheels and tractor tires.

I informed the wife that we have to build a wall of boxes for me to crash through like the Cool Aid guy.
Maybe this weekend.

-methods

Ok methods, I gotta ask. What is the bubbling cauldron with all the wires in the yard?

methods said:
No no - you can only lift one leg at a time. :)
Just a little ol' 9C motor.

I think you would need a 24" drag slick and 50hp to actually lift that lever-arm.

-methods

Soooooo....get on it Methy what you waiting for mate!! :mrgreen:

KiM

torker said:
Ok methods, I gotta ask. What is the bubbling cauldron with all the wires in the yard?

A bunch of replies were lost when the server went down.
Luke had explained it quite well

There are a bunch of pumps in there from my reef tank that have calcium buildup on them. I put them in a vat of highly acidic water and let them rip for a while to break down all the buildup. They come out good as new.

Check out my new 10 stage RO-DI (Reverse Osmosis De-ionizer) with storage tank. I can make 200 gallons a day with this bad-boy and I have 4 gallons on tap at 70psi whenever I need it. 0 TDS (total dissolved solids) - i.e. pure ass water.

013_RODI.jpg

That basically makes fresh water for me - 50 gallons at a time.
I use the blue can on the right to take 50 gallons from the system
I pump the new fresh water from the left back into the system.
The garbage can up on the table is full of Macro Algae
The garbage can by the door is another fresh water reserve that runs a Calcium Hydroxide drip controlled by a computer and a probe to keep the PH at 8.5

018_RODI.jpg
019_RODI.jpg
020_RODI.jpg

This is nothing.... You should see what I have in my living room (and what Luke has in his living room for that matter).
Race cars, Reef tanks, R/C planes, Ebikes, Composting, shooting, Electronics, side business, home remodeling, continuing education, work... I take them all equally serious and everything I do is to the absolute max. No compromise.

Sitting around watching TV (and watching other people do stuff) is for retards. :mrgreen:

-methods

Hey Methy,

I like the monster truck look!

I must say, though, the issue with the small wheels is not the diameter but the freakin donkey crap for tires they put on those rims. 16 inch Hookworms make an E-Typhoon handle like a go-kart!

Anyway, I like the look. You gotta paint it to look like Bigfoot. 8)

Matt

Remember that I live in California... You ever seen the roads out here :shock:
The 16's handle the corners well enough but they cant handle the bumps at all.
First time I hit a serious California bump and bounced half way out into traffic I was done!

-methods

lol Methy,

i'm surprised you dont have the DEA bustin down your door with that setup!!

D

I run a "night cycle" too.
My 2KW metal halides turn on around 8pm and stay on till 6am so I am sure there is a "hot spot" showing in my house on the infrared scanners. They fly over with helicopters at night for those of us who have outrageous electric bills :roll:

The good thing about a night cycle is that it keeps the house warm all night :wink: We dont have a central heater (abandoned house - dont ask - think fightclub) so we depend on the lights and a fireplace to keep us warm.

btw: the syringe is full of Calcium Hydroxide (pickling lime) and I use it to inject (and kill) pest anemones. The solution has an extremely high PH and it burns whatever it touches.

The UPS guy is convinced that I am a mad scientist (emphasys on mad, not scientist). I cant count how many times he has found me sitting in the entry way with god knows what in my lap, wild eyes, babbling about XYZ that is in the box. My front porch looks like the city dump and my house looks like the paper street soap company.

Here is me - the first day I bought this house. You may notice that behind me, piled in the garage, is the entire interior of the house. I am trying to look sophisticated. Did I pull it off?

l_6420fcf394bc44e816b9a85528f0048a.jpg

-methods

Back