WAS: Some one tell me why I should not put a motor on this?

I recently purchased an Actionbent Jetstream recumbent. It appears to have very few miles on it and I thought I would make a few mods and sell it to help facilitate buying my tad pole, but it keeps staring at me and I can hear say, "Put a motor on me" I've got a new 20 inch Nine Continent front wheel, my Bosch packs are waiting to do something more interesting than operate a drill. All I need is to buy a controller and to build a throttle. (Got the design in my head, and all the materials to build it, just need to go out and do it). And like everyone else here, I've got a bunch of projects in the works..............So I need you guys help.......... Should I do it or should I not? Or perhaps maybe I've been in the Pacific Northwest too long and my brain is getting wet?ab1small.jpg

Greenerwheels

nicobie said:
Why not? Looks like it would be alot of fun to me.

I agree, i like the position of the handlebars, i wonder how easy (or hard) it is to get around with that kind of steering.
looks comfortable :D

Dude!! Hang a friction drive under that rack and some Lipo on top, then make a custom throttle controlled by your thumb on the end of those tiller bars!! :mrgreen:

Consider your self oficialy -Double Dog Dared- to moterize that sleigh. :wink:

Hey Etard

I've got no problem with Friction drive!
frontside.jpg
drive.jpg
It's been rebuilt since this picture, now has a hydraulic front disk brake and a reconfigured drive. I've just started playing with Hub motors so I can get enough experience to build my own.

Ok No one convinced me to Not do this so I guess I will. I'll try to document what it is I'm doing so wish me luck.
A little about the bike. My bike is a first generation Actionbent Jetstream, its an import bike, its all steel construction as best as I can tell. This version has a direct steer system that the later jetstreams discontinued in favor of an arm attached directly on the crown of the fork. I personally like the original version, but the handlebars are a little forward for my stubby arms, which until I bought this bike I didn't think I had stubby arms. Anyway there is a Yahoo group for Actionbent bikes and someone there suggested replacing the original stem with a 150mm stem, not so easy to find and not a lot of choices either. I just saw a video of Catrikes new 2 wheel recumbent the "Catbike" [youtube]Mxld4jJD0SI[/youtube]
The Musashi. The video inspired me to get off my butt and do it and I think I can do one better, You guys didn't try to stop me either, so how about a recumbent that can be converted to either underseat steering or over seat steering without spending a bunch of money or time to do the conversion? Well that's going to be my first step. Here's a picture of my replacement stem.steerer.jpg
After I get that installed and completed the ebike will begin. What I have is a 20 inch ebikekit 9x7 front wheel and 3 bosch fatpacks, what I need is a controller and at least to start is a throttle. What I'd like to do is integrate the throttle into the handlebar. Push the bar forward to go, more go faster, a return spring will bring the bar back to stop. From there I may end up replacing the rear wheel with something a little wider so I can mount a maxxis hookworm front and rear. The fork is steel but I am not sure how beefy it is and that may well have to be replaced as well.
Anyway this is the first installment, it might take 6 months but I'm starting, any and all comments are welcomed

Greenerwheels

Progress was made today, installed the steering post in upright position and it looks like it might work. Discovered just how messy my shop is, hardy any room to get around, tomorrow shop clean up and installing cables, shifters and take it for a ride.steerup.jpg

I know more than I ever wanted to about SRAM twist shifters. I also found out the LB shops want stupid money for 4mm Derailleur housing. The first place I called wanted $2.50 a foot for non-lined housing The second wanted $3.25 a foot for plastic lined and neither could tell me who made it. And I guess I'll go to Universal cycle tomorrow and pick up a 25 foot roll of Jagwire Derailleur Housing. Has anyone used Jagwire products?

Greenerwheels

Progress:

After yesterdays cabling issues, progress was made. Here's some pictures.progress.jpgprogress2.jpgprogress4.jpg

My only concern at this point is the very light weight fork, I'm thinking I might want to replace this with a more robust Freestyle fork. I can order a Redline fork for $50 + shipping, but I need to conserve my funds, in any case, this fork won't keep me from at least trying it out. Any comments or criticisms are always welcomed

Thanks Greenerwheels

Yesterday was spent finding small parts and a new fork, I located a usable BMX fork at one of the area bike co-op's, it is much beefer than the original with 14mm drop outs. Unfortunately there were no brake bosses so I am planning on welding on some, while I am at it I have a torque arm design I plan on integrating into the fork, I think it it will make a significant contribution to the ebike community. I will try and get pictures today or tomorrow.

Thanks

Steve

looks comfy :D

I have used jagwire plenty. Didn't seem any better or worse than the bulk stuff that is typically labeled "quality" or QBP

Slow progress, but getting there! I couldn't take the bike out with the original forks, I really didn't want to ruin them, so I searched for a set of adaptable BMX forks, I found a Redline fork that did most of what I wanted at a local bike shop, much beefier, but had no brake studs, I had a 24" suspension fork that had a steel brake bridge, I removed and rewelded on the new fork, then I scrounged through my steel scrap bin and found some plate steel and square tubing. I would have taken pictures in process, but designing on the fly usually means doing it over and over, but I had the design set in my head and it appears to have turned out right the first time. The axle fits into the box and a 1/4" plate steel square washer slides into the box, there is no way the wheel will spin in this setup! So now I can either get back on track or start a patent and manufacture forks. Please note the wheel is a ebikekit wheel, thanks to one of Jason's Endless sphere deals, thanks Jason!!View attachment 3newfork3.jpg

Attachments

• newforkwhole.jpg
    newforkwhole.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,832
  • newfork.jpg
    newfork.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,831
Steve, good to see you today and congratulations on the next professional steps.

Bike looks great. When did you say I can take it for a spin?

:)

Wake

Back