Drew Diller's first e-bike.

drewdiller

100 W
Hub: "Cute" 350/500W motor from bmsbattery.com (though I have come to learn these were advertised for a power rating that exceeds their actual designed rating)

Controller + half-twist throttle + Cycle Analyst were from e-bikekit.com, very much liked their customer service.

36V 10Ah battery from evcomponents.com

Connectors and accoutrement from powerwerx.com

Build cost is really muddied by the notion that I paid a lot more than anticipated to have the hub laced to a rim. Going to do it myself next time.

From initial tests, WOT gives me about 20 miles if I keep the draw below 350W (which means me pedaling hard -- or very hard -- on 5% and above grades). WOT on flat ground with 35 PSI studded tires gives me 15 to 16 mph, or thereabouts, I haven't completely dialed in my tire circumference with a plumb line.

The half-twist throttle feels very comfortable on smooth ground. Unfortunately a lot of my riding is in choppy snow, and it does NOT feel good in those conditions. Thumb throttle on order.

I have mostly lurked on this forum, but the few posts I did make, I generally received good information. You guys are good $#!7, I have learned a lot.

If finances allow it, e-bike v2 will be a higher-powered Surly Pugsley... this is because I've found that after only a handful of battery-break-in rides, this bike goes too fast for me to comfortably handle in snow.

Attachments

• IMG_3678.JPG
    IMG_3678.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,549
  • IMG_3679.JPG
    IMG_3679.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 2,525
  • IMG_3681.JPG
    IMG_3681.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 2,525
How it's going to normally look: with some squished powder.

Attachments

• IMG_3682.JPG
    IMG_3682.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 2,499
Can you tell us more about how your battery is secured ? Is it theft-proof or just strapped on?

Yeah, I never realized how much power it took to really move a bike through the snow or just through regular grass. If the motor isn't powerful enough, it could possibly struggle even in the grass.

morph999 said:
Can you tell us more about how your battery is secured ? Is it theft-proof or just strapped on?

Yeah, I never realized how much power it took to really move a bike through the snow or just through regular grass. If the motor isn't powerful enough, it could possibly struggle even in the grass.
Sure.

It dawned on me that my bike is now far more of an attractive theft target than before. Do I...

A) Mount the battery to the bike with one-way screw heads? (Which could still be defeated with a reverse drill bit)
B) Mount the battery in a quick-release fashion so I can stash at least the battery - the most expensive part - in a backpack and bring it inside with me.

I chose B, cheaper and easier.

The means: I bought one of those medium-duty 12' ratchet straps meant for tying down motocross bikes or snowmobiles. These are two piece affairs, one short strap with the ratchet and a hook, the other being a long strap with a hook. I modified it so that the ratchet-and-hook side simply has a longer strap and no hook, long enough for the ratchet to catch, and I simply feed the strap around the battery and into the ratchet.

It comes off with a CLANG! sound.

Attachments

• IMG_3683.JPG
    IMG_3683.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,468
  • IMG_3684.JPG
    IMG_3684.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,466
Beats bungees. Theft proofing an ebike is probobally the #1 unsolvable problem. I can put a lock on the metal toolboxes I put the battery in, but even the smallest screwdriver would defeat the latch. I can carry in the battery, but then I look dangerous with a duct tape package with wires. The way I deal with it is to sit in restaraunts where I can see the bike, and most shopping is done early in the morning, when low lifes are sleeping off last nights drug binge. Mostly just honest hard working types out and about before 10 am.

dogman said:
Theft proofing an ebike is probobally the #1 unsolvable problem.
I am used to a tiny set of two wheels that I can take indoors with me... or park behind my chair on a restaurant patio... or stash behind a potted plant in the lobby... etc... pretty theft-proof?
I want my next scoot to be smaller... To fold up so it looks more like this:
Dyson_dc_24_vacuum.jpg

Ya might think this design sucks but I think it will clean up...
Lock
(sorry to be OT. Drew... cool bike Sir. Nice stealth)

BTW Drew... I just realized that my local "bike-friendly" public transit service has recently amended their by-laws to exclude motor-assist from their definition of the word "bicycle"... I am pretty sure this is because all they see are the "scooter-style" ebikes... (they don't "see" bikes like yours because they don't know watt to look for.) I am on a forum for local ebike folks, most of whom are on these scooter-style ebikes (sigh) and one of them is going to take up this issue with our transit service. I sent him a link to these pics of your bike as an example of a "proper" ebike (although I did not put it in these terms (wink)) to send to our transit service when asking them why they are banning all motor-assist!
So good on ya mate. My post about scooter design/bike theft deterance might be OT but I do like yer ride! :)
Lock

No prob, I'm not a topic nazi.

The gamefaqs.com forums were probably the worst I've ever been to for that heavy handed crap.

great build looks sleek.i like the tie dwns.most humans cant work them anyways.very neat and tidy. :D

Hah, I just had my first few traffic experiences in broad daylight. Using a left hand turn arrow lane, it was fun watching the expressions on people's faces who were waiting their turn. "Wait, how did he... what? OH!" :lol:

How about a very low cost remote alarm http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23633
sku_23633_1.jpg

drew, great looking bike! I've never seen handlebar mittens before; those are awesome! I disconnect my battery and take it with me when I lock up my bike. Bungees seem to work well so far. Ratchet straps are about 10x heavier than bungees, but I suppose ratchet straps would come in handy fighting off thieves.

Visual depiction of endless-sphere member with ratchet strap fighting off typical ebike thief.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrlNQF7GlCg&NR=1

Geebee, that alarm looks pretty interesting. Have you tried one?

i have this alarm (Honest), but the battery will not last you a very long time. I think getting a Lock build in a alarm is much better. please see my http://www.flickr.com/photos/kentlim26 i have post up lock alarm, build in alarm+ lock. ( Build in alarm with a lock) Good value.
kentlim

Back