Okay time for build number 2.
I have racked up about 5,500kms on my first ebike
by commuting to work everyday on it. This was just electrifying the bike I had, an Avanti hardtail. But as I am riding it everyday, along some pretty average roads, I started thinking a dual suspension bike might be a better idea. Especially after a couple of my mates have built some pretty nice examples.
After cruising ebay for quite some time trying to find a good candidated I finally found this. A Giant AC, pretty much a full bike minus the wheels. Placed a bid on impulse, and won it. Woo hoo.
I haven't got it yet, so don't know what is wrong with it, but will soon find out. I think I should be able to get my headway pack in the frame, just, and possible strap the controller below the down-tube, assuming I just transfer my current set-up across to the new frame.
But then I started thinking, maybe I should keep the old bike in one piece, and build a new one from scratch. This will still be my commuter, so I don't need crazy off-road strength just wanted to smooth out the roads, and gutters. I don't want to be going much more than 50kph, but would appreciate a bit more pull up the hills than I currently have.
Options I am entertaining so far are:
1) Use what I have.
- Crystalyte 408 motor
- Crystalyte 36-72V 35A controller
- 48V10Ah Headways
2) Replace 408 with Bafang BPM (fast wind)
- would need to get it with sensors, or get a new controller
- this will help with a bit more torque for the hilss, and up top speed
3) Upgrade the battery voltage
- 60 or 72V headways
- existing controller can handle it, but new chargers & BMS.
- would require a custom built pack to fit the bike
4) Go to LiPo
- 18-20s Zippy LiPo's
- existing controller would handle it
- need new cahrgers, balancers, BMS etc etc etc
- this might be easier to fit in the frame