Before: The previous configuration as of late June 2010 just before the summer road trip sporting a full compliment of batteries (15S12P) is shown below. After that long arduous ride I removed 1/3 the batteries which aside from hauling less weight made for some really nice long distance commuting experiences at WOT (15S8P).
However, as Old Man Winter arrived the FWD would slip in the rain. The Ortlieb bags were also beginning to look pretty tired. StillÃ¢â‚¬Â¦ this was a very striking configuration that attracted the friendliest attention from all sorts.
After: This is the present configuration after completing the Epic Battery Bag project. Actually I still have a few minor details to wrap up; IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ll update the post if I add some of the lighting ideas from the LED Lighting: Accent Coloring thread.
- Batteries moved forward (15S6P) and into a new home-built saddlebag
- New HP-LED Cree headlights
- All lighting now integrated via DC-DC converter
- Mounted the Schwalbe Marathon Winters (studded tires) at both front and rear
- Reorganized wiring harness and added a charging plug that can double as an extension for rear batteries (hidden from view).
Although not as trick-looking, the bike does handle a lot better
Note: FWIW - no, the image is not goofed up; the secret urban bat cave received a new coat of ZOMBIE repellant last month: Ghoul Green is so in vogue this time of year...