Your Creation's Before & After Pics

Show off your E-bike creation here.
spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Your Creation's Before & After Pics

Post by spinningmagnets » Nov 07 2018 11:27am

Aesthetics? There are pearls among the oysters, but you have to dig for them. I have asked permission from the builders to feature them, and here is an index, 90% found on ES

https://www.electricbike.com/custom-builds-index/

To be fair, the vast majority of posts are not about "how can I make my bike look nice?", I think that part is fairly easy among the type of people who frequent the DIY forums. The part that is the most often shared information is "What are the newest options, and how do I get them to work?" Just my opinion....

dirt huffer   100 mW

100 mW

Post by dirt huffer » Nov 07 2018 12:08pm

spinningmagnets wrote:
Nov 07 2018 11:27am
Aesthetics? There are pearls among the oysters, but you have to dig for them. I have asked permission from the builders to feature them, and here is an index, 90% found on ES

https://www.electricbike.com/custom-builds-index/

To be fair, the vast majority of posts are not about "how can I make my bike look nice?", I think that part is fairly easy among the type of people who frequent the DIY forums. The part that is the most often shared information is "What are the newest options, and how do I get them to work?" Just my opinion....
There have definitely been a few bikes i've seen on here that have blown me away. And i've been obsessed with riding and building bikes for the last 16 years so it takes quite a bit for me to be impressed.

That said this forum is a stark contrast from mountain bike forums i've been on where people place looking "cool" just as important, if not more important then actual riding :lol:

macribs   1 GW

1 GW

Post by macribs » Nov 07 2018 2:34pm

SM, you might consider these as well. Sure there are more that I didn't think of. But these are all great builds, especially when you look at the time of building. Not many e-bikes like these back then.

Specialized Big Hit FSR with midmount

Or one of the first trellis frame bikes posted here, the black UK build with a powerful mid motor? viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55592

Or the red Intense build by Timma?

Samd also had a few great stealth bikes he build. Super light alloy build.

boxtriker   100 µW

100 µW

Post by boxtriker » Nov 11 2018 11:25am

This is my little Trek 6500 before and after 60v 18amp battery powering a 2000w rear wheel shockworks forks
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Nov 11 2018 9:38pm

Lighting upgrade:

Before:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=235&start=1725#p1422823

After:

Lenk42602   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Lenk42602 » Nov 12 2018 1:50pm

macribs wrote:
Nov 07 2018 2:34pm
SM, you might consider these as well. Sure there are more that I didn't think of. But these are all great builds, especially when you look at the time of building. Not many e-bikes like these back then.

Specialized Big Hit FSR with midmount

Or one of the first trellis frame bikes posted here, the black UK build with a powerful mid motor? viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55592

Or the red Intense build by Timma?

Samd also had a few great stealth bikes he build. Super light alloy build.

Beg your pardon.....

https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/v ... =6&t=23143

macribs   1 GW

1 GW

Post by macribs » Nov 12 2018 3:13pm

Beg your pardon.....
?? I nice build you did for sure, and your build could easily be a feature bike too, but I don't think I said anything wrong about the ones I mentioned? The black uk bike was mid drive. So that one stands out on its own merits. Not a lot of mid drives back then with this kind of power. The lack of pedals put it more into motorcycle territory but still a really nice build.

Edited: Ahh I saw it now. You did your in 2010 and the black uk was from 2013.

Lenk42602   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Lenk42602 » Nov 12 2018 9:30pm

no worries, just wanted to confirm there are pearls out there that the later generations really have to dig back in the archives to find. That was a two year build!

SM didnt interview all the OG builders....

cheers,

Len

macribs   1 GW

1 GW

Post by macribs » Nov 13 2018 8:42am

It is really amazing the amount of craftsmanship on this forum. There have been so many nice builds here over the years. All kinds of bikes, trikes and scooters. And a lot of builders have really gone the extra mile to make sure every last details got the needed attention. It is truly an amazing and inspiring forum, and the past 10 years have really shown us great solutions, workarounds and problem solving.

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » Nov 14 2018 8:13am

Hey, Lenk. Your build definitely deserves it's own article. I'll consider this permission, and I'll get right on it!

I am surprised that I forgot to add Simons Specialized to that index, since I already wrote about it (he has now been added to that index).

https://www.electricbike.com/specialized-super-charged/

As to the others, I may still write about them, but I only have so much time to write, since I am still working full time and I have a family. I have a long list of "possible" ebike subjects, and what normally happens is that something becomes popular, so it gets pushed to the front of the line.

I apologize if anyone who's built a great ebike feels I have ignored them. One issue for me is sometimes the only good picture of a great custom build is the finished product, which makes for a very short article. If someone has good pictures of the entire build-up, that increases the chances of it being in feature. If the build has something unusual about it that is educational to the readers, that would also increase the chances.

Sometimes I find candidates on youtube or facebook. Sometimes people who have not posted their ebike anywhere have contacted me by email. Tom in the UK (youtube) didn't know endless-sphere existed, and I recently wrote about his RC drive. That build by itself is not exceptional, but he 3D-printed the mount, and also used a new VESC from the skateboard world, which has improved features, compared to what many of us used six years ago. And since he had a lot of build pics, he went to the front of the line.

whereswally606   100 kW

100 kW

Post by whereswally606 » Nov 15 2018 6:18am

hey SM, me and a friend recently did a dual hub drive q100h scott ransom 10 carbon using anguism 8p modules. would be good to get a review on it. I will get some photos and try to get my friend to post the details in a thread
Distributing "Lebowski" FOC Controller PCB (Through hole) since 2016
Moped: Emax 110s 2009

khorse   1 µW

1 µW

Post by khorse » Nov 18 2018 10:36pm

HestonBluemetal wrote:
Nov 06 2018 8:41pm
Dont take this the wrong way, but aesthetics are not this forums strong point huh?
I only really care if it drives good or not. If it rides fine and the weird noises aren't serious then it's all good.