E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Show off your E-bike creation here.
Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Feb 15 2015 12:32am

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Allex wrote:He is running the entry level MT2 :)

TV, I heard from one Experienced ebiker that your Thick Bricks are slippery as hell in comparison to hookworms. I think you gonna love the new tyres, they are super sticky, like real tyres should be. 87,7km/h top speed, did you pedal like crazy or is it down a hill? My battery is just starting to warm up at that speed :D
Well ok, tonight keeping in mind I want you said, I rode to test these thick bricks to tell is they're really crap. I decided they probably are, for fast riding. Like I said, I took it easy on them last year. Up till now I haven't put much effort trying to test them much. Now I feel pretty good trying. They have their good points, but high speed grip isn't one of them. They start squalling leaned over pretty easy. The good news is they're very predictable, but you don't have to be putting much on them to get them going. They have great wear qualities, I have 3000 miles on them and they're in pretty good shape. I know all we want is the grip. At lower sane speeds they're great. They feel safe to ride with, but you're not going to win any races with them.

I'll be tossing them soon, maybe tomorrow. By wife wants me to do the taxes, so I think I'll go hide in the garage.
One thing I'll add is it's going to take a hell of a set of tires to handle this. Hookworms look awful small, but I never heard anyone say they weren't great.

stritzky   100 W

100 W

Post by stritzky » Feb 15 2015 10:08am

00Tj wrote:What rotors do you have?
I am thinking about these :
http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/400498156247?nav=SEARCH
Or these :
http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/171117123400?nav=SEARCH

Mostly because I'm going for a black and gold theme and these are one of the only gold rotors I can find.. I really like the look of the second ones. Will these be ok?
I went for the Black and Gold them on my Bomber also and this is the end result.

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Feb 15 2015 10:11am

I really dig the gold S on the top of the frame.

00Tj   100 W

100 W

Post by 00Tj » Feb 15 2015 1:11pm

stritzky wrote:

I went for the Black and Gold them on my Bomber also and this is the end result.

Your bike is the reason I am going for a black with gold trim..

I'm going gold bars, Gold rotors, Gold pegs, Gold seat post calliper thing(like yours) with everything else stock black.
Will pretty much look like yours but without the 2 million dollar side covers :wink:
Stealth Bomber B52 SB#536

stritzky   100 W

100 W

Post by stritzky » Feb 15 2015 1:39pm

00Tj wrote:
stritzky wrote:

Your bike is the reason I am going for a black with gold trim..

I'm going gold bars, Gold rotors, Gold pegs, Gold seat post calliper thing(like yours) with everything else stock black.
Will pretty much look like yours but without the 2 million dollar side covers :wink:
Nice to hear :-)

woot81   100 µW

100 µW

Post by woot81 » Feb 15 2015 5:58pm

00Tj wrote:I thought you "had" to use sr suntour arms? You can use regular off the shelf arms with the vboxx?

Yeah bummer, seems you have to use suntour - was really hoping I didn't have to order and wait to ride again :-(
I'm definitely getting a spare set - don't want to end up in the same situation where I can only look at the bike and think of riding!

Villain   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Villain » Feb 15 2015 9:56pm

Wow, they're everywhere!
Does anybody recognize this stealth rider, out for a lunch time ride in Sydney?
2015#.jpg
2015#.jpg (126.5 KiB) Viewed 2179 times

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Feb 17 2015 12:15am

Villain wrote:Wow, they're everywhere!
Does anybody recognize this stealth rider, out for a lunch time ride in Sydney?
2015#.jpg
Obviously a street rider too.

1abv   1 kW

1 kW

Post by 1abv » Feb 17 2015 12:57am

A turn not to miss!!

A little of the local trail action here SoCal. more to come.

remf   10 kW

10 kW

Post by remf » Feb 17 2015 1:30am

I'd definitely prefer to be riding that trail in SoCal over a lunchtime ride in Sydney.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Feb 17 2015 6:18pm

remf wrote:I'd definitely prefer to be riding that trail in SoCal over a lunchtime ride in Sydney.
+1, that looks like a really neat place to rip on. Maybe I will take a trip and check it out, like next year.

Hyena   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hyena » Feb 17 2015 6:59pm

remf wrote:I'd definitely prefer to be riding that trail in SoCal over a lunchtime ride in Sydney.
That looks like a cool trail, but I reckon you might not be trying hard enough remf :P
Here's a shot I took on a rather long detour to work last friday (dress shirt and pants in my backpack!) :)
Hy-Beach.jpg
Hy-Beach.jpg (92.94 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered e-bike kits and custom performance ebikes
New FUTR and Hyena special edition Beta frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...

boars   10 W

10 W

Post by boars » Feb 17 2015 8:12pm

Gah you're all making me jealous :lol:

Finally got my wheels from roadrash (they look awesome) and now I'm just waiting on the wheel place to change over my hub to the new rim.

It'll probably get done just in time for the cyclone to turn our weather to crap. :roll:

Have the front wheel on and god damn do moto rims look amazing on the bomber. Might make me get noticed by pc plod a bit more though :?

:pancake:

remf   10 kW

10 kW

Post by remf » Feb 18 2015 12:25am

Hyena wrote:I reckon you might not be trying hard enough remf :P
You're right Jay I'm not trying hard enough...but that's because it involves considerable effort to get to any desirable trail from here and street-riding just isn't particularly desirable to me. Definitely have to put the bike on the back of the car to get to semi-decent singletrack and even then you need to go quite a distance up or down the coast to find anything approaching that trail in SoCal. Having said that, in your vids, it looks like the best trails around Sydney are in your backyard.

00Tj   100 W

100 W

Post by 00Tj » Feb 18 2015 11:52am

No way! Best trail's in Sydney are in the Nth/Nth-west!!!

So, After 2 days of riding I have a couple of small niggles..

Biggest of being the Magura MT2's. They just aren't good enough? I'm sure they would be fantastic on a downhill bike or something.. But not on a 80km/h bike.
So, I have a few option's. I can get some MTS's for $100AUD. OR I can get some MT7's for $430AUD.

First question, Are the MTS's noticeably better than the MT2's? I know Magura say's they are in between the MT4's and MT6's (because they were custom's for specialized), but is that true?
Second, Are the MT7's worth the $330 more than the MTS's?

The second issue I am having is, when I stop the bike and park it, sometimes the gear's cease and don't turn until I put the key back in and turn it on and move a little? Is this normal??

Jimboyr6   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Jimboyr6 » Feb 18 2015 3:25pm

Maybe try some better pads change fluid first.
Explane more about this gear problem, are u saying the twist shift doesn't turn? Putting key in wont affect gears
Stealth bomber owner 138 livin the dream

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Feb 18 2015 3:47pm

I can lock my brakes up on cement streets. I would think locking the brakes on dirt would be very easy.

woot81   100 µW

100 µW

Post by woot81 » Feb 18 2015 3:51pm

Does anyone know any websites replacement cranks for the vboxx can be purchased? Have been searching for a while without any luck and stealth haven't responded to my email.

Hyena   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hyena » Feb 18 2015 5:49pm

remf wrote:in your vids, it looks like the best trails around Sydney are in your backyard.
Quite literally, my house backs onto the royal national park and that was a big selling point for me when I bought the place.
We should organise another Sydney meet up some time and I can show you around my local haunts :) Numbers have grown significantly since the last group ride I organised a few years back
00Tj wrote:Are the MTS's noticeably better than the MT2's? I know Magura say's they are in between the MT4's and MT6's (because they were custom's for specialized), but is that true?
I've not used the MTS's - I've ridden the stock MT2s and on my other bikes I've been using the new MT5's. These are a quad piston brake essentially the same as the MT7's performance wise but minus a few features which I consider trivialities (carbon levers etc). For around half the price of the MT7s the MT5s are a clear winner in my mind. They have strong braking, good modulation and in general get my tick of approval. The other alternatives I'd look at are the shimano zee (again like the mt5 vs mt7 these are very similar to the saints but lacking a few features in trade for a decent price reduction)
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered e-bike kits and custom performance ebikes
New FUTR and Hyena special edition Beta frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...

1abv   1 kW

1 kW

Post by 1abv » Feb 18 2015 10:45pm

00Tj wrote:No way! Best trail's in Sydney are in the Nth/Nth-west!!!

So, After 2 days of riding I have a couple of small niggles..

Biggest of being the Magura MT2's. They just aren't good enough? I'm sure they would be fantastic on a downhill bike or something.. But not on a 80km/h bike.
So, I have a few option's. I can get some MTS's for $100AUD. OR I can get some MT7's for $430AUD.

First question, Are the MTS's noticeably better than the MT2's? I know Magura say's they are in between the MT4's and MT6's (because they were custom's for specialized), but is that true?
Second, Are the MT7's worth the $330 more than the MTS's?

The second issue I am having is, when I stop the bike and park it, sometimes the gear's cease and don't turn until I put the key back in and turn it on and move a little? Is this normal??

I completely agree about the mt brakes. I have the mt4's they are not very good. I have used an alternate bleed procedure to get less lever travel before engagement which works. (I've posted about it here before). I go through pads like water and w/o the alt bleed procedure the lever travel is unacceptable. I can't speak about the quad piston mt series they may be better. Try the bleed procedure it should help.

1abv   1 kW

1 kW

Post by 1abv » Feb 19 2015 2:49am

updated bleed procedure for MT brakes:

And finally the Magura MT series and fixing the tragically long lever travel before engagement. This is a known problem with the Maguras. The pistons stick and duing bleeding the pistons retract which makes the lever travel longer before engagement.

here is a few links which illustrate the problem. Not sure who he is but he owns a bomber.
http://www.fareinc.com/65/MT8/

here is the new bleed procedure:
http://www.support-english.magura.com/i ... =5053&st=0

I adjusted this bleed procedure.
1 After fully bleeding the brakes I inserted and closed the top bleed screw while pushing on the plunger for the bottom syringe so no air would be introduced into the system.
2 The transport tool is a touch to thick. You can sand it down allowing the pistons to be a bit closer to each other.
3 Push more fluid into the system via the bottom syringe. This step reduces the lever travel. Make sure there is no pad drag on the rotor. If so loosen the top screw and spread open the pistons a bit. Make sure to not introduce any air into the system.
4 lift the caliper over the height of the lever, remove the syringe and put in the screw.
This will greatly reduce lever travel. Still not 1 finger but better.

00Tj   100 W

100 W

Post by 00Tj » Feb 19 2015 3:01am

I actually ended up getting offered the mtS's for next to nothing
so I am going to try them for a bit and see how they go.

I worked out the gearbox issue.. I am pretty sure it was not working
because the pedals had been moved into a ready position and we're
putting a small amount of pressure on the box.
I tried back peddling a quarter rotation before trying to change gears
and it's working fine.

So, on my way to the bike shop today I got a rear flat.
I was only about 1km away so it wasn't so bad.
When I got there I just bought a new patch kit and took the tyre off
(with an insane amount of difficulty!) and looked for the hole.
I couldn't find it?
So I pumped it up a bit and eventually found it....
On the rim side of the tube! It seems that the rim tape had moved slightly
and pinched it? Maybe.

I also ordered some crazy bobs last night to use until my hookworms turn
up in a few weeks from overseas.
My question is, should I go tubeless and use slime? If I just had a regular tube
and slime today it wouldn't have done a thing because the puncture was on
the wrong side of the tube.
I have never used crazy bobs before but have been told they don't offer much
protection for the tube.
Or, second option is use a tube, fill with slime and put puncture proof tape
on both the tyre side and the rim side?

On my last bike, the slime I used completely stopped flats.
I would still get punctures at least once a week but they would fill up with slime
in seconds and I'd just keep riding.

Oh so many decisions!!!

Also, I have told you guys about my local bike shops giving me the stink
eye when I told them I had an electric bike..
Today was a different story!
When the first guy came out to have a look he was seriously impressed!
He spent 25 minutes looking over it and asked 100 questions..

Thanks stealth!!
Your product has once again made me welcome in my LBS's!

CJonaBttlrckt   10 W

10 W

Post by CJonaBttlrckt » Feb 19 2015 3:51am

Hi folks,
It's been a while since I've posted though I rarely go more than a few days without checking out the conversation. It has and continues to be invaluable for me to make my bike reliable.
Production numbers continue to grow and I am waiting for the day I come across another owner locally. I just hope all who own a stealth respect the importance of riding stealth and staying under the radar.
I would certainly like to ride some other trails around Sydney with other owners.
Cheers

boars   10 W

10 W

Post by boars » Feb 19 2015 5:36am

Stealth bombers seem to be coming out with MT5's standard as of late December last year? At least mine did.

I don't seem to have a stealth branded headlight though, thought that was a bit odd.

QMS   100 W

100 W

Post by QMS » Feb 19 2015 6:15am

boars wrote:Stealth bombers seem to be coming out with MT5's standard as of late December last year? At least mine did.

I don't seem to have a stealth branded headlight though, thought that was a bit odd.
Hi boars, All Stealth bikes are now supplied with Magura MT5's brakes as standard as from the end of 2014 onwards with the MT7 as the brake upgrade also Stealth noted that they were not happy with the logo on the factory headlight assembly and are now supplied with the manufacturers logo instead.
We made inquiries re this logo and have confirmed this with Stealth.
quigleymotorsport.com
quigleyms@internode.on.net
ImageImage