E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Show off your E-bike creation here.
Brute   100 W

100 W

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Brute » Jul 13 2015 3:41am

Theodore Voltaire wrote:This is my preliminary impression of the difference between my bike and the new one.

The new B52 is softer, and more consumer oriented than my old #412. Stealth obviously has been paying attention to peoples complaints about harsh suspension. imo the new bike is going to be a lot more comfortable riding at lower speeds, at the expense of stability at wfo. The front forks are much softer than my forks. My forks are like what came on a 70s Italian bike. Back when all bikes came with crappy suspension, Italian bikes handled great, but only at one speed, top speed, everywhere else they sucked. That's what I think of my bike. It's harsh until 45 plus, then I'm glad it stiff.

The computer is the other area that quite different. It's more user friendly, but I would consider it a little dummied down compared to a CA3. The new one is easier for a nube to understand, and the data is something a nube might be looking for. I like the clock. What I don't like is no ah meter. % of charge is bs. That doesn't mean much unless you keep to the same speed all the time. ah used tells me all I need to know about my possible range, but you have to be familiar with past power use at speed to be able to calculate quickly in you mind on the fly. A % meter is easier for a layman to understand, but not as precise imo.

The locking code feature is ok, but I'd never use it. My $4 cable lock, and glock is better.

The overall build quality has not suffered one bit. The bike is still built like a brick shit house. :) It's the greatest production eBike ever built, and nothing else even comes close.
Nice report , gotta agree , I`d really miss not being able to read A/H used . No mention of the upgraded power ( 4.5 to 5.2 KW ) ???

remf   10 kW

10 kW

Post by remf » Jul 13 2015 7:09am

Cowardlyduck wrote:
LockH wrote:"Video: Stealth Bomber electric bike packs a serious punch"... in Gizmag site:
http://www.gizmag.com/video-review-stea ... ber/38395/
Ironic how the presenter mentions the Bomber is absolutely not a bike to be used for commuting, yet that's what probably more than half of Stealth owners do with them. :lol:
Society/laws really need to do some catching up!

Cheers
Totally ironic...today I sailed through Sydney traffic on a journey that would have taken an extra hour and then some in a car. I wasn't racing just cruising in 250W mode. Power limited in street legal mode with the new 30Ah Fighter pack, range is ridiculous, not exactly sure what it is but way over 100 km - 60 miles.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Jul 13 2015 11:07am

remf wrote:
Cowardlyduck wrote:
LockH wrote:"Video: Stealth Bomber electric bike packs a serious punch"... in Gizmag site:
http://www.gizmag.com/video-review-stea ... ber/38395/
Ironic how the presenter mentions the Bomber is absolutely not a bike to be used for commuting, yet that's what probably more than half of Stealth owners do with them. :lol:
Society/laws really need to do some catching up!

Cheers
Totally ironic...today I sailed through Sydney traffic on a journey that would have taken an extra hour and then some in a car. I wasn't racing just cruising in 250W mode. Power limited in street legal mode with the new 30Ah Fighter pack, range is ridiculous, not exactly sure what it is but way over 100 km - 60 miles.
Look at this way, the new battery has about 1500wh usable. Your limit of 250wh would take you 6hours riding WOT to drain that, lets say you could average 15 miles per hour, which is a conservative estimate at 250wh, that's 90 miles or 144km :shock: now that's some iron butt, ass hurting miles there. :lol:

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Jul 13 2015 11:27am

Brute wrote: Nice report , gotta agree , I`d really miss not being able to read A/H used . No mention of the upgraded power ( 4.5 to 5.2 KW ) ???
We've only been on one ride together, and he's taking it easy so far. On the way home his gps indicated he got it to 50 mph once, but I didn't see that. He lives 4 miles from my house so he might have done it before he got here.

I'm a little confused about the 5200w claim. I see 5300w peak on my old bike frequently. He weighs about 80 lbs less than me to, so that will probably be an advantage for him. Interestingly on our ride last night he seemed to use a little more power then I did, but that's probably inexperience on his part. I'm the master of the throttle hand. :)

On the 17 mile ride home last night from downtown, we started out about 30 mph, but soon we were gliding along at 35. Next thing I know I looked down and saw 45. I saw him gas it once from 45 to get though a light, and it looked like it was zooming. I thought his skin was going to fall off his head his grin was so big. We were making all the lights so our speed stayed up there most of the way. Don't worry, he's a very good, and careful rider, with years of experience.

He's owned a 1200 Sportster, a Buell, and 2 Spreed triples. I bought him his first yamahama ya50 when he was a little kid.

Allex   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Allex » Jul 13 2015 1:04pm

Great to ride with father and son, wish my father was the same. Are you guys using helmets during the rides or the old style?

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Jul 13 2015 7:44pm

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Brute wrote: Nice report , gotta agree , I`d really miss not being able to read A/H used . No mention of the upgraded power ( 4.5 to 5.2 KW ) ???
We've only been on one ride together, and he's taking it easy so far. On the way home his gps indicated he got it to 50 mph once, but I didn't see that. He lives 4 miles from my house so he might have done it before he got here.

I'm a little confused about the 5200w claim. I see 5300w peak on my old bike frequently. He weighs about 80 lbs less than me to, so that will probably be an advantage for him. Interestingly on our ride last night he seemed to use a little more power then I did, but that's probably inexperience on his part. I'm the master of the throttle hand. :)

On the 17 mile ride home last night from downtown, we started out about 30 mph, but soon we were gliding along at 35. Next thing I know I looked down and saw 45. I saw him gas it once from 45 to get though a light, and it looked like it was zooming. I thought his skin was going to fall off his head his grin was so big. We were making all the lights so our speed stayed up there most of the way. Don't worry, he's a very good, and careful rider, with years of experience.

He's owned a 1200 Sportster, a Buell, and 2 Spreed triples. I bought him his first yamahama ya50 when he was a little kid.
Sweet TV, its good to ride with family. Yah, its amazing how these machines makes us smile like we are hiding something from our women. My dad and I got a fall trip planned to ride on the Tahoe Rim trail up above Lake Tahoe. Should be a good time.

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Jul 14 2015 1:23am

What fun, rat racing. It's funny, you can see things that normally are hard to see, with a Stealth riding next to you. Like when your bike hits the limiters.

Which bike is faster? Hint; it's the one the 85lb lighter guy is riding. Other than that, I don't think there's much difference other than the size of the tires.

But I was having big fun racing another bike like mine. When two bikes are almost identical power, the trick is to out pedaling the other guy. That's a loosing proposition for me because he's 31 yrs old, but I was going at it like hell, as long as I could. Which wasn't all that long really. I thought I was going to blow a gasket pedaling at top speed for a little while. And then doing it again a couple times after I recovered. I won't work out that had riding by myself. Add 85lbs to his bike, and I think I could take him lol.

My max speed when I got home was 53.4 I guess he can do 55, or a little more with those big stock tires, but we're close enough for government work.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Jul 14 2015 9:22am

Yah TV, the biggest acceleration performance increase we could gain is loosing say 50 pounds for so, at least for me. :lol: Yah, that's why your kid is getting you, 85 pounds lighter. How about some vids of your and your son, racing and riding?

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Jul 14 2015 9:41am

Rix wrote:Yah TV, the biggest acceleration performance increase we could gain is loosing say 50 pounds for so, at least for me. :lol: Yah, that's why your kid is getting you, 85 pounds lighter. How about some vids of your and your son, racing and riding?
It's actually pretty amazing how close we really are considering the weight difference. I get the feeling this moose doesn't care about my weight, it's just the limiters.

I haven't worked out so hard since getting my bike. I probably lost a couple lbs last night alone. We're going to have a lot of fun in the future.

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Jul 14 2015 9:45am

There's no other bike you can pedal that hard, at those kinds of speeds. They say there's nothing new under the sun, but this is a different kind of bike never seen on the earth before.

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Jul 14 2015 3:22pm

I've seen people say pedaling at 50 mph doesn't make much difference. If there's another Stealth right next to you, you can see the difference. There's actually a lot of difference. I don't like pedaling at 50, unless there's some jackass right next to me that needs to eat my tire dust. :) Then it seems a lot easier.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Jul 17 2015 3:09am

bigbore   10 kW

10 kW

Post by bigbore » Jul 17 2015 5:07am

That's awesome ....... but
My rear shock is fully compressed just with one meter off the ground jumps, two days ago I added one more turn to the spring preload and I'm riding with the hydraulic compression knob fully hard and rebound fully soft. Also my lower rebound adjuster does nothing. I can turn it fully hard or fully soft and the rebound stays the same.
How many mm of preload are you riding Rix on the rear spring?

Rodney64   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Rodney64 » Jul 17 2015 9:32am

Theodore Voltaire wrote:What fun, rat racing. It's funny, you can see things that normally are hard to see, with a Stealth riding next to you. Like when your bike hits the limiters.

Which bike is faster? Hint; it's the one the 85lb lighter guy is riding. Other than that, I don't think there's much difference other than the size of the tires.

But I was having big fun racing another bike like mine. When two bikes are almost identical power, the trick is to out pedaling the other guy. That's a loosing proposition for me because he's 31 yrs old, but I was going at it like hell, as long as I could. Which wasn't all that long really. I thought I was going to blow a gasket pedaling at top speed for a little while. And then doing it again a couple times after I recovered. I won't work out that had riding by myself. Add 85lbs to his bike, and I think I could take him lol.

My max speed when I got home was 53.4 I guess he can do 55, or a little more with those big stock tires, but we're close enough for government work.

TV, just get a max.e and a new battery and then you won't need to lose any weight.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Jul 17 2015 1:26pm

bigbore wrote:That's awesome ....... but
My rear shock is fully compressed just with one meter off the ground jumps, two days ago I added one more turn to the spring preload and I'm riding with the hydraulic compression knob fully hard and rebound fully soft. Also my lower rebound adjuster does nothing. I can turn it fully hard or fully soft and the rebound stays the same.
Your rear shock rebound rate doesn't change no matter how slow or fast you change the settings? You got a blown shock I think. When you compress your suspension, does it "spring up" quickly like a pogo stick? As far as my rear preload goes, on my old Bomber, I had a 750# spring on it, so my preload was set with about 2.75" or around 70mm of static rider sag. That was along time ago and I can't remember how many turns it was. Bombers made after early 2013 came with a progressive coil, so my settings on my old Bomber wouldn't be the same even though the shock body is the same. As far as preload setting goes on my Fighter, I got the spanner ring turned down quite a ways. If I go to much more, I will hit coil bind. Fortunately for me, the setting I have works and I still have a few turns to go before coil bind. I want to clarify for those that may not know, coil bind is when your spring coils hit each other during compression before your suspension is bottomed out. This is why you just can't take any spring for any rider, increase preload until proper sag is achieved and expect things to work properly.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Jul 17 2015 2:09pm

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Rix wrote:Yah TV, the biggest acceleration performance increase we could gain is loosing say 50 pounds for so, at least for me. :lol: Yah, that's why your kid is getting you, 85 pounds lighter. How about some vids of your and your son, racing and riding?
It's actually pretty amazing how close we really are considering the weight difference. I get the feeling this moose doesn't care about my weight, it's just the limiters.

I haven't worked out so hard since getting my bike. I probably lost a couple lbs last night alone. We're going to have a lot of fun in the future.

I missed this earlier, laughing now, you sound like my dad, he always talks about how pedal assisting his Bomber is allowing him to gracefully transition into his 70s and stay fit doing it.

Rodney64   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Rodney64 » Jul 17 2015 7:36pm

Rix wrote:
Theodore Voltaire wrote:

I missed this earlier, laughing now, you sound like my dad, he always talks about how pedal assisting his Bomber is allowing him to gracefully transition into his 70s and stay fit doing it.

TV, that's one of the things that I really like about the bomber. The ability to pedal at any speed.

bigbore   10 kW

10 kW

Post by bigbore » Jul 21 2015 6:08am

Rix wrote:
bigbore wrote:That's awesome ....... but
Your rear shock rebound rate doesn't change no matter how slow or fast you change the settings? You got a blown shock I think. When you compress your suspension, does it "spring up" quickly like a pogo stick? As far as my rear preload goes, on my old Bomber, I had a 750# spring on it, so my preload was set with about 2.75" or around 70mm of static rider sag. That was along time ago and I can't remember how many turns it was. Bombers made after early 2013 came with a progressive coil, so my settings on my old Bomber wouldn't be the same even though the shock body is the same. As far as preload setting goes on my Fighter, I got the spanner ring turned down quite a ways. If I go to much more, I will hit coil bind. Fortunately for me, the setting I have works and I still have a few turns to go before coil bind. I want to clarify for those that may not know, coil bind is when your spring coils hit each other during compression before your suspension is bottomed out. This is why you just can't take any spring for any rider, increase preload until proper sag is achieved and expect things to work properly.
When I compress my rear suspension I think it works correct and I can adjust the upper hydraulic damper soft or hard. My problems are the followings:
1) The rear wheel tends to bounce over rough terrain under acceleration loosing traction so I would like to have a faster rebound setup (that's impossible right now).
2) The rear suspension fully compress even with small jumps (1 meter off the ground) look at the green check on the stem.

I have 7.75mm of spring preload that gives me 63mm static rider sag.

Samd   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by Samd » Jul 21 2015 6:45am

Dnm is great value.
But you'll get radically better rebound with a brand name shock bigbore.
http://ballaratebikes.com/

ImageImageImage
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that a 165mm rear shock can't deliver 220mm of rear swingarm travel." - Oprah Winfrey.

bigbore   10 kW

10 kW

Post by bigbore » Jul 21 2015 7:12am

Samd wrote:Dnm is great value.
Are you talking about something like this?
http://www.ridefox.it/product.php?m=bik ... ref=filter

But before buying a new shock I will try to change the oil on my DNM with something lighter

Hyena   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hyena » Jul 21 2015 8:09am

On the fighter, sure, but don't forget we're talking Stealth Bombers here Sambo - these run massive pitbike style shocks and they need to for offroad durability with the all the weight of X54 levering off them.
Size and weight wise we're talking Keira Knightly vs Rebel Wilson. If you're going to ride off a cliff, which one to you want breaking your fall ? :lol:

OK bad example, you'd rather break your neck plowing through Keira Knightly, right ? :P
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered e-bike kits and custom performance ebikes
New FUTR and Hyena special edition Beta frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Jul 21 2015 11:00am

bigbore wrote:

But before buying a new shock I will try to change the oil on my DNM with something lighter
Simone, as Hyena pointed out, that DNM is a motor cycle shock. If you consider replacing it, do so with another MC shock. That said, you are the first that I have heard of that wants faster rebound. What I found is slowing down rebound helps keep my rear from tossing me over the handle bars when I launch from a kicker or square edged face jump. Whats going on here is when our suspension compresses at the face of a jump, it starts extending in mid air. If the suspension extends to quickly, especially just as we leave the jump, instead of the rear motor and wheel being pushed down, it pushes our ass end up. This is the one biggest disadvantages of unsuspended mass. So to negate this, having the rebound slowed down helps immensely. It comes at a price, though, small bump compliance sucks. I think if you speed up your rebound, you will like when you are riding on washboard road when you are seated and pedal assisting, but then you will hate it on everything else.

DunkenKBliths   100 W

100 W

Post by DunkenKBliths » Jul 21 2015 7:39pm

MY STORY SO FAR...

I am about halfway "quoted specs" through my battery life...
with 400 cycles and 15,000kms on the clock (commuter KMS - daily ride)
(yes I know 800 is the estimated cycles for a complete depleted battery) , I only do about 37kms a day so about about 1/2 - 3/4 depleted (depending on how I feel that day)

I recharge the bike every day for about 4 hours...which seems to have kept the battery very close to original capacity...(I test it every 6 months to see how many Amps I can get out of it to empty)

anyone else closer to the 800cycles or over....

looking to clock at least 30-40,000 kms before a new battery

Dunk
DUNKEN K BLITHS / eVangelist !
https://twitter.com/dunkenkbliths

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Jul 21 2015 11:03pm

DunkenKBliths wrote:MY STORY SO FAR...

I am about halfway "quoted specs" through my battery life...
with 400 cycles and 15,000kms on the clock (commuter KMS - daily ride)
(yes I know 800 is the estimated cycles for a complete depleted battery) , I only do about 37kms a day so about about 1/2 - 3/4 depleted (depending on how I feel that day)

I recharge the bike every day for about 4 hours...which seems to have kept the battery very close to original capacity...(I test it every 6 months to see how many Amps I can get out of it to empty)

anyone else closer to the 800cycles or over....

looking to clock at least 30-40,000 kms before a new battery

Dunk
Dunk, my dad has my old Bomber and is up well over 800 cycles and near 10,000 miles. Actually, mileage wise, you guys are about the same. Never mind. :mrgreen:

1abv   1 kW

1 kW

Post by 1abv » Jul 22 2015 2:31am

Rix wrote:
bigbore wrote:

Simone, as Hyena pointed out, that DNM is a motor cycle shock. If you consider replacing it, do so with another MC shock. That said, you are the first that I have heard of that wants faster rebound. What I found is slowing down rebound helps keep my rear from tossing me over the handle bars when I launch from a kicker or square edged face jump. Whats going on here is when our suspension compresses at the face of a jump, it starts extending in mid air. If the suspension extends to quickly, especially just as we leave the jump, instead of the rear motor and wheel being pushed down, it pushes our ass end up. This is the one biggest disadvantages of unsuspended mass. So to negate this, having the rebound slowed down helps immensely. It comes at a price, though, small bump compliance sucks. I think if you speed up your rebound, you will like when you are riding on washboard road when you are seated and pedal assisting, but then you will hate it on everything else.

I gotta agree w Rick here. Slowing down the rebound does help. In addition the stock rst front forks are sheeettt.. Part of your problem may be the front end. I swapped out for marzocchi 888. Huge improvement. Also my spring was way to heavy for me. I wound up getting a custom lighter spring made and also a 3 stage revalve. Our shocks aren't terrible. They are set up terrible thoiugh. The internals are actually decently built. They really need a tuner to go through em. I had a 3 stage revalve done. My tuner found the oil to be cheap quality and the nitrogen levels were not correct. I ride dirt 90% and now I'm totally confident w the bike. I can land jumps without any crazy drama. High speed slides are totally predictable and controllable. A good front end and a revalve will go a long way... Good luck and don't give up on the dnm just yet!