E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Show off your E-bike creation here.
Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Jul 28 2015 1:04am

remf wrote:
Theodore Voltaire wrote:I just tried to contact Stealth support about an issue I have, and it pinged back to me

Is this no longer a good address?

joe@stealthelectricbikes.com.au
tech@stealthelectricbikes.com is the new address
Thanks remf

stevebills   100 W

100 W

Post by stevebills » Jul 28 2015 6:28am

I am going to fit Shamano saints to my bomber b52 and has anyone else done this yet?
I just spoke to a bomber owner who fitted avid code brakes and need to google them now
thx
steve
Last edited by stevebills on Jul 28 2015 8:40am, edited 2 times in total.
Optibike and Stealth Bomber

bladewheels   1 µW

1 µW

Post by bladewheels » Jul 28 2015 7:17am

bladewheels wrote:Howdy folks, looking for some diagnostic wisdom/direction if you please?

'13 Bomber, original owner, 3rd frame (works good now with the seatpost bracket re-inforced, thanks Stealth!), ridden 20 - 50 km/day (9 mon/yr) on gravel trails & pavement, dry climate. v3.x Cycle Analyst, I believe?

Mid-ride, this afternoon with 1/2 battery capacity left, the throttle response ceased; toggled the keyswitch a couple of times while still riding (CA's LCD toggled off/on with key position) but still no throttle response. Tried again a minute later and the CA LCD no longer lit up.

Plugged the bike in @home and charging proceeded as per normal.
1/2 hr later I unplugged the charger from the bike, tore off the side panels & fiddled with the connectors - no change.
Found multimeter: measured 0 & infinite Ohms on plug to keywsitch for on/off positions.

Not sure how to proceed, other than dragging it down to the (nearby) dealer.
Can I further isolate the problem @home or will it be a matter of parts swapping until it works again?

TIA
remf wrote: Hmm sounds like the pack. It might be more like swapping a cell not a part. Of course your pack might be nearing its end of life in which case you might want to get a new pack. Best to contact tech@stealthelectricbikes.com

[edit] Rereading this, it could also be the controller. A couple of years ago I had a rare combo fault of both a blown FET and a cell. I had to send the controller and the pack for repairs...I thought it would takes ages to repair but was amazed when I was back riding again a week or 2 later.
Thanks remf; I'll let my local dealer call Stealth, etc. They (Revolution Cycle, Edmonton, AB) are pretty good.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Jul 28 2015 10:07am

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
remf wrote:
Theodore Voltaire wrote:I just tried to contact Stealth support about an issue I have, and it pinged back to me

Is this no longer a good address?

joe@stealthelectricbikes.com.au
tech@stealthelectricbikes.com is the new address
Thanks remf
I know I used to have 3 or email addresses for Steatlh that ended in .au and those don't work now. I deleted them from address book and will update as I come across new addresses.

stevebills   100 W

100 W

Post by stevebills » Jul 28 2015 2:43pm

I went out on the Bomber today and the left hand side peddle complete with arm fell off and what do I need to put it on with there is a large looking alley key slot on the arm and do i tigten it clockwise?

help thx steve

Jimboyr6   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Jimboyr6 » Jul 28 2015 5:26pm

stevebills wrote:I went out on the Bomber today and the left hand side peddle complete with arm fell off and what do I need to put it on with there is a large looking alley key slot on the arm and do i tigten it clockwise?

help thx steve
Just slot arm back on with abit of lube so it dont seize on and do the allen key up thats inside
Stealth bomber owner 138 livin the dream

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Jul 28 2015 6:03pm

stevebills wrote:I went out on the Bomber today and the left hand side peddle complete with arm fell off and what do I need to put it on with there is a large looking alley key slot on the arm and do i tigten it clockwise?

help thx steve
On your crank arms mounting faces, you got an allen threaded cap sized 10mm and inside of the cap is the actual bolt sized 8mm. Don' touch the 10mm cap bolt. Grab yourself and 8mm allen wrench, and some grease and put that on BB outside spindle . Maybe put just a little bit of blue lock tight inside of the bb bracket spindle threads. Then torque it down. I can't remember but it seems like you don't want to exceed 35nm of torque. I have the manual on my other computer and can look up the torque specs tomorrow.

stevebills   100 W

100 W

Post by stevebills » Jul 29 2015 10:21am

Rix wrote:

help thx steve
On your crank arms mounting faces, you got an allen threaded cap sized 10mm and inside of the cap is the actual bolt sized 8mm. Don' touch the 10mm cap bolt. Grab yourself and 8mm allen wrench, and some grease and put that on BB outside spindle . Maybe put just a little bit of blue lock tight inside of the bb bracket spindle threads. Then torque it down. I can't remember but it seems like you don't want to exceed 35nm of torque. I have the manual on my other computer and can look up the torque specs tomorrow.
I grabbed an 8mm key from a bike shop today and sorted it so thanks Rix

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Jul 29 2015 8:16pm

Glad you got it sorted Steve.

Samd   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by Samd » Jul 30 2015 1:06am

Its the left arm. That's significant.
If it was well worn inside the square taper it'll probably fall off again in a few hundred km no matter what you do. If it does, look inside the crank arm, you'll see something like this:
http://blog.artscyclery.com/wp-content/ ... .33-PM.png

If it happens and you need a new arm, you'll notice a heap on new ones for sale on fleabay and alibaba (I have plenty too of various types). If the crank isn't torqued when fitting it slops around until the ally is damaged.
Its counter intuitive, but when fitting a new crank, some lube inside the square taper actually helps the crank draw fully up onto the spindle and avoid the issue happening in the long term...
http://ballaratebikes.com/

ImageImageImage
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that a 165mm rear shock can't deliver 220mm of rear swingarm travel." - Oprah Winfrey.

stevebills   100 W

100 W

Post by stevebills » Jul 30 2015 8:17am

Samd wrote:Its the left arm. That's significant.
If it was well worn inside the square taper it'll probably fall off again in a few hundred km no matter what you do. If it does, look inside the crank arm, you'll see something like this:
http://blog.artscyclery.com/wp-content/ ... .33-PM.png

If it happens and you need a new arm, you'll notice a heap on new ones for sale on fleabay and alibaba (I have plenty too of various types). If the crank isn't torqued when fitting it slops around until the ally is damaged.
Its counter intuitive, but when fitting a new crank, some lube inside the square taper actually helps the crank draw fully up onto the spindle and avoid the issue happening in the long term...
i bought the Bomber 3 months ago so I presume the arm was not tightened properly at the dealers as I picked up the bomber as a fully assembled bike
so if it comes off again as there was slight wear can I get a replacement under warranty?

thx steve

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Jul 30 2015 10:14am

This is my 6000 mile Bomber report.

Still running great as usual. My battery capacity seems to be reduced to about 17.5ah. Still tops out about 50 mph, 53 when pedaling.

I have 1000 miles on my Hook Worm tires, and they're holding up better than I expected. The little basketball bumps are worn off the rear, but there's still lots of tread. I think I might be able to get 2000 miles out of the rear.

I'm on my second set of brake pads that are a little more than half worn out.

The only failure my bike has suffered was a right side swing arm bearing.

The only maintenance I perform besides changing tires, and brake pads is occasionally lubing the pedal chain, and VBoxx, and I stuffed some grease into the freewheel once.

I consider this to be extremely outstanding dependability.

bladewheels   1 µW

1 µW

Post by bladewheels » Jul 30 2015 11:05am

bladewheels wrote:
bladewheels wrote:Howdy folks, looking for some diagnostic wisdom/direction if you please?

'13 Bomber, original owner, 3rd frame (works good now with the seatpost bracket re-inforced, thanks Stealth!), ridden 20 - 50 km/day (9 mon/yr) on gravel trails & pavement, dry climate. v3.x Cycle Analyst, I believe?

Mid-ride, this afternoon with 1/2 battery capacity left, the throttle response ceased; toggled the keyswitch a couple of times while still riding (CA's LCD toggled off/on with key position) but still no throttle response. Tried again a minute later and the CA LCD no longer lit up.

Plugged the bike in @home and charging proceeded as per normal.
1/2 hr later I unplugged the charger from the bike, tore off the side panels & fiddled with the connectors - no change.
Found multimeter: measured 0 & infinite Ohms on plug to keywsitch for on/off positions.

Not sure how to proceed, other than dragging it down to the (nearby) dealer.
Can I further isolate the problem @home or will it be a matter of parts swapping until it works again?

TIA
remf wrote: Hmm sounds like the pack. It might be more like swapping a cell not a part. Of course your pack might be nearing its end of life in which case you might want to get a new pack. Best to contact tech@stealthelectricbikes.com

[edit] Rereading this, it could also be the controller. A couple of years ago I had a rare combo fault of both a blown FET and a cell. I had to send the controller and the pack for repairs...I thought it would takes ages to repair but was amazed when I was back riding again a week or 2 later.
Thanks remf; I'll let my local dealer call Stealth, etc. They (Revolution Cycle, Edmonton, AB) are pretty good.
Revolution Cycle determined the root cause - a broken solder joint in the connector that feeds from the pack to the controller (under the battery) , thankfully a quick/simple fix!
Last edited by bladewheels on Jul 30 2015 4:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevebills   100 W

100 W

Post by stevebills » Jul 30 2015 4:09pm

I tightened up the peddle arm with an 8mm allen key as suggested
and it fell off again last night and looking at it inside its now worn and fooked
so I will be asking for a new one under warranty

thx steve

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Jul 30 2015 7:34pm

Theodore Voltaire wrote:This is my 6000 mile Bomber report.

Still running great as usual. My battery capacity seems to be reduced to about 17.5ah. Still tops out about 50 mph, 53 when pedaling.

I have 1000 miles on my Hook Worm tires, and they're holding up better than I expected. The little basketball bumps are worn off the rear, but there's still lots of tread. I think I might be able to get 2000 miles out of the rear.

I'm on my second set of brake pads that are a little more than half worn out.

The only failure my bike has suffered was a right side swing arm bearing.

The only maintenance I perform besides changing tires, and brake pads is occasionally lubing the pedal chain, and VBoxx, and I stuffed some grease into the freewheel once.

I consider this to be extremely outstanding dependability.
Nice update TV, looks like you got another 2 years with your battery. Technically you probably go 4, but you will come to a point where your battery will only hold 9amps and volt sag under WOT will result in BMS shut down, hot of the charge. Than you know its time to replace the battery. :lol:

Jimboyr6   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Jimboyr6 » Jul 31 2015 4:20am

Just shows lifepo4 is good stable stuff.
My 2012 battery still holding up after i had cells replaced, last owner diddent look after it, i got a good friend on this forum
To put some new ones in
Still got about 85/90% capacity
Look at this little bugger i got this morn, and it diddent even go through inner tube, it came out side wall :shock:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.95 KiB) Viewed 2685 times

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Jul 31 2015 4:31am

You lucky Jimbo, that could have ended your ride. Yah, you got Bomber 138, I have 143. We both have the same old LifePo4 pouch cells. The new packs are running a different chemistry.

Jimboyr6   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Jimboyr6 » Jul 31 2015 5:39am

Yeh only see it when i plugged charger in,
Iv got mx tubes, and tube as a linner, and kevlar linner down middle
Rix what thay got in em now samsung cells 18650?

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Jul 31 2015 12:16pm

Jimboyr6 wrote:Yeh only see it when i plugged charger in,
Stealth is using some kind of Lithium Ion chemistry pouch cells. I don't know what chemistry it is exactly, but its not Lifepo4, and they are definitely pouch cells.

Jimboyr6   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Jimboyr6 » Jul 31 2015 12:30pm

Also if anyone has got hope tech brakes
Mine had excessive travel at the leaver done the bleeding thing, so then i tryed the pad alignment vid on YouTube
Well what a difference nice leaver modulation
the pads are now closer to discs so if anyone has them or other brake with crap leaver mybe this would help u out
But u have to get discs dead central to the caliper slot :wink:

voicecoils   10 MW

10 MW

Post by voicecoils » Jul 31 2015 6:01pm

Jimboyr6 wrote:Also if anyone has got hope tech brakes
Mine had excessive travel at the leaver done the bleeding thing, so then i tryed the pad alignment vid on YouTube
Well what a difference nice leaver modulation
the pads are now closer to discs so if anyone has them or other brake with crap leaver mybe this would help u out
But u have to get discs dead central to the caliper slot :wink:
It's a great feeling when you get your caliper alignment just right!

Another bit of info with the Hope Tech series is that the Tech 3 V4 caliper is designed to accept their floating vented rotor which is substantially wider than the standard disk or floating-only versions. You should get the best feel with the vented but if you are using a narrower rotor, the system should be re-bled so there's additional fluid in the system to keep the pistons closer to the thinner rotor.
hope-floating-and-vented-vs-floating-only.jpg
hope-floating-and-vented-vs-floating-only.jpg (26.47 KiB) Viewed 2631 times

Kepler   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Kepler » Jul 31 2015 7:53pm

Rix wrote:
Jimboyr6 wrote:Yeh only see it when i plugged charger in,
Stealth is using some kind of Lithium Ion chemistry pouch cells. I don't know what chemistry it is exactly, but its not Lifepo4, and they are definitely pouch cells.
I believe Stealth have moved away from Lithium Ion Phosphate(LiFePO4) batteries in the the latest models completely.

I am not 100% sure but based on the current capacity, I think the current Bomber is using Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide (LiNiMnCoO2 or NMC). NMC is superior in nearly every way over Lithium Ion Phosphate(LiFePO4) has good overall performance, safety and specific energy.

In regards to the new Fighter battery I believe this is using Lithium Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide (LiNiCoAlO2) which has the highest Whr/kg rating currently commercially available. A give away is that the new Fighter pack is a (Edit)14S pack as opposed to previous pack being 16S meaning that each cell has a higher end voltage.
Attachments
Snip20150801_1.png
Snip20150801_1.png (65.93 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
Last edited by Kepler on Aug 01 2015 5:24am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Rides

Lightest true ebike on the planet: ON ROAD viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74269
eBoost on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eboost/200306283342024/

remf   10 kW

10 kW

Post by remf » Aug 01 2015 12:39am

Very interesting info John! My guess was that the new Fighter pack was some type of LiMn chemistry because it weighs around 10 kg and is 1.5kWh. Lithium Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide - like the sound of that - apart from the nasty cobalt :)

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Aug 01 2015 4:03am

remf wrote:Very interesting info John! My guess was that the new Fighter pack was some type of LiMn chemistry because it weighs around 10 kg and is 1.5kWh. Lithium Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide - like the sound of that - apart from the nasty cobalt :)
Yah, what Remf said. :mrgreen:

Cowardlyduck   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Aug 01 2015 5:08am

It's great that Stealth are updating the Battery packs...it's just a shame they don't update the rear dropout design. Or put bigger axles on the hub motors...or use clamping dropouts...or do anything to prevent what happened to me today:

I've mentioned it on other threads, but on my HS4080 (from Stealth) I recently stripped the axle threads trying to make the nuts tight enough to prevent rotations issues.
I still haven't been able to get my axle repaired, but today gave it a shot anyway. The nuts weren't on very tight, but it still felt solid when riding. Going down a hill I decided to do a bit of regen...BIG MISTAKE!

So anyway, this resulted in the phase wires shorting somewhere in the axle. It must only be a minor short as we were able to pull on the wires and it stopped, so we zip tied them in place and I was able to ride home pedalling.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it many times before in this thread, but the non-clamping, horizontal dropouts DO NOT WORK. At least long term and with the tiny 1/2" axle of the HS40xx motors.

I've just ordered a new Leaf Motor with 16mm axle nuts. It shouldn't have any issues, but really Stealth should not be selling these bikes with such a weak link IMO. I've had nothing but problems with mine since I got it...now after 4+ years of use, my swing-arm is worn, my torque blocks are worn, the axle on all my motors is severely worn, and so is my patience with this design...really hoping a 16mm axle helps.

Cheers
Custom made 18650/21700 battery packs

Modified Stealth Fighter - Force air cooled motor @ 6KW, Adaptto Mini-E. 49AH, 52V 18650 - 2.5Kwhr
Cowardlyducks - Stealth Fighter Videos

BikeE recumbent commuter - 9C, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 52V, + on-board solar.

Ebike Garage - My YouTube Ebike ramblings.

High Power LiPo wiring harnesses - 4P - XT90, HXT4mm, 5.5mm. 200Amp+ capable. Global shipping.