E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Show off your Ebike creation here.
Theodore Voltaire   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sep 26 2013 11:41pm
Location: Texas

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » May 19 2016 6:16pm

I made some more changes. My seat was an ass hatchet, and too tall. I bought a different seat post, and a Brooks C17 Cambiun. I was able to drop the unladen seat height 1 inch.

The old seat was a Origin 8 Classic Lite. It's basically a hard plastic base with a thin layer of cushion. It's slightly softer than granite. The Brooks C17 is made of a thin rubber material attached at the front, and back to the seat frame, and rides like a hammock with no solid structure other than the rubber material in the middle.

Image

Image

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2959
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Cowardlyduck » May 19 2016 8:05pm

1abv wrote:Hey all got a few more goodies…
So the pic below is the connector between the battery pack and the controller. My wires were frayed on the controller side so bought a new set of connectors. Do you all know if they are interchangeable regardless of manufacturer?

Image
Andersons SB50 connectors are an interesting connector. Personally I don't like/use them any more as they are too bulky, but for plug and play simplicity for a plug and play bike like the Stealth's they can't be beaten.
When it comes to these connectors AFAIK, you can connect black to black, black to grey and grey to grey, but not any of the other colours. They should all connect fine regardless of manufacturer unless it's a really cheap Chinese knock off, which if that's the case you might also wanna double check the polarity....it wouldn't be the first time they switch it around randomly. :shock: :roll: :lol:

Cheers
ebikegarage.com.au - My website
Ebike Garage - My YouTube Ebike ramblings.
Cowardlyducks - Videos - Ride videos
BikeE recumbent commuter - 9C, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 52V, + on-board solar.

Custom made 18650/21700 battery packs - Australia only

1abv   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 647
Joined: Mar 29 2013 11:19pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by 1abv » May 19 2016 10:11pm

Thanks for the info fella!
So I got in touch w Justin over at GRIN and he let me know that it makes no difference which way the wires are connected. Red Black no diff.

Theodore Voltaire   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sep 26 2013 11:41pm
Location: Texas

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » May 20 2016 11:28am

It's not much for looks, but my ass doesn't care. The seat post I bought is lower profile than the stock one that came on my bike. Just it alone drops the seat almost 1/2 an inch. My seat is so low now that if I wear shorts my balls drag the ground.

Image

litespeed   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1451
Joined: Aug 11 2010 4:42pm
Location: O’Fallon, Missouri

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by litespeed » May 20 2016 12:06pm

TMI On the balls dragging the ground....is the seat really that comfy?

Tom
I'm married so you know I'm no stranger to pain!

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7024
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » May 20 2016 8:41pm

litespeed wrote:TMI On the balls dragging the ground....is the seat really that comfy?

Tom
I have a Brooke saddle on my Fighter, its the best seat I have ever ran to date currently comfort wise.

one4torque   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 336
Joined: Dec 28 2015 8:29pm
Location: Texas, fighting entropy one build at a time...

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by one4torque » May 20 2016 8:57pm

sucka free since 1968

Theodore Voltaire   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sep 26 2013 11:41pm
Location: Texas

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » May 20 2016 10:17pm

I've ridden about 35 miles on the C17 now. It's a winner. I can't think of any other bicycle seat I have that's as comfortable for as long, and that includes 2 giant granny panty beach cruiser seats. After a while it does get kind of hard, but it's not at all confining, and being able to squirm around helps a lot. It doesn't trap my lemons either.

Looks wise I wasn't sure how it would turn out. The old Origin 8 had similar looks, and I wasn't wild about it. The stock seat was a cruel ass hatchet. The Felt beach cruiser seat that broke a rail was ok looking, but hard as hell. I put up with it because it looked ok, but not great. This Black C17 has a modern look on my bike that I like. It looks like exactly the right seat for my Bomber, and it's nice that it's comfortable too.

Image

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7024
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » May 20 2016 11:14pm


User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7024
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » May 20 2016 11:15pm

Theodore Voltaire wrote:I've ridden about 35 miles on the C17 now. It's a winner. I can't think of any other bicycle seat I have that's as comfortable for as long, and that includes 2 giant granny panty beach cruiser seats. After a while it does get kind of hard, but it's not at all confining, and being able to squirm around helps a lot. It doesn't trap my lemons either.

Looks wise I wasn't sure how it would turn out. The old Origin 8 had similar looks, and I wasn't wild about it. The stock seat was a cruel ass hatchet. The Felt beach cruiser seat that broke a rail was ok looking, but hard as hell. I put up with it because it looked ok, but not great. This Black C17 has a modern look on my bike that I like. It looks like exactly the right seat for my Bomber, and it's nice that it's comfortable too.

0a_zpso95tmyi5.jpg[/img][/url]
Yep, thats my findings as well.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7024
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » May 20 2016 11:56pm

I mounted the TC3065 on my Fighter. Kind of a strange motor. From dead stop, it doesn't pull as hard as the H4080, but from about 15-28MPH, it pulls harder. Top speed is 34MPH @54 volts with an 18x1.4 MC rim and 3.00-18 tire. My H4080 goes 40MPH with the same rim/tire combo.

So I pulled apart my H4080 which has over 2000 miles on it with my 5kw setup. Needless to say, its gotten hot repeatedly, the ties on armature stator wires were melted, the cover for the phase wires have obviously gotten really hot, but the actual stater wires look pretty good, yah some are dark, but its far from smoked.
Attachments
H40.jpg
H40.jpg (104.02 KiB) Viewed 2369 times

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2959
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Cowardlyduck » May 21 2016 6:21am

Rix wrote:I mounted the TC3065 on my Fighter. Kind of a strange motor. From dead stop, it doesn't pull as hard as the H4080, but from about 15-28MPH, it pulls harder. Top speed is 34MPH @54 volts with an 18x1.4 MC rim and 3.00-18 tire. My H4080 goes 40MPH with the same rim/tire combo.

So I pulled apart my H4080 which has over 2000 miles on it with my 5kw setup. Needless to say, its gotten hot repeatedly, the ties on armature stator wires were melted, the cover for the phase wires have obviously gotten really hot, but the actual stater wires look pretty good, yah some are dark, but its far from smoked.
Yeah, the 4080 can take more heat than the 4065 due to the thicker phase wires.
I smoked my 4065 on 6KW, but have yet to smoke my 4080, although I've only pushed it up to 5KW so far.

Cheers
ebikegarage.com.au - My website
Ebike Garage - My YouTube Ebike ramblings.
Cowardlyducks - Videos - Ride videos
BikeE recumbent commuter - 9C, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 52V, + on-board solar.

Custom made 18650/21700 battery packs - Australia only

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7024
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » May 21 2016 6:38am

Cowardlyduck wrote:
Rix wrote:I mounted the TC3065 on my Fighter. Kind of a strange motor. From dead stop, it doesn't pull as hard as the H4080, but from about 15-28MPH, it pulls harder. Top speed is 34MPH @54 volts with an 18x1.4 MC rim and 3.00-18 tire. My H4080 goes 40MPH with the same rim/tire combo.

So I pulled apart my H4080 which has over 2000 miles on it with my 5kw setup. Needless to say, its gotten hot repeatedly, the ties on armature stator wires were melted, the cover for the phase wires have obviously gotten really hot, but the actual stater wires look pretty good, yah some are dark, but its far from smoked.
Yeah, the 4080 can take more heat than the 4065 due to the thicker phase wires.
I smoked my 4065 on 6KW, but have yet to smoke my 4080, although I've only pushed it up to 5KW so far.

Cheers
I didn't know you smoked a 4065, did you not do your forced air fan mod to it?

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2959
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Cowardlyduck » May 21 2016 7:18am

Rix wrote:I didn't know you smoked a 4065, did you not do your forced air fan mod to it?
Yeah, it's a long story, but to try and summarise:
-I ran the 4065 at 6KW and loved it, but it was only vented at that point with no other cooling mods.
-This eventually cooked it, but not completely:
Image
It's black from paint, not heat, although you can see how roasted the fibreglass wrap looks, so it definitely did get hot.

-Upon inspection, I discovered only 2 phase wires on one phase were actually shorted, so I split them off from the phase termination and entry point, re-soldered the rest and got the motor working again :D
If you look closely in the photo below you can see the split of wires next to the green phase.
Image

-Then, because the motor would be less efficient, and it was a resurrection job, I gave it a go with crappy Laptop cooling fans and it worked better than I could have ever imagined:
Image

-That worked great for about 4+ months of daily usage, and even ran through a flooded stream and kept working.

-What ultimately killed my HS4065 was when I tried to clean it by shoving baby wipes into one of the vent holes and spinning the motor. It did actually work well and cleaned the motor. I then took it out for a ride, but failed to realise that when I had shoved the baby wipe in the hole it had caught on the green phase and ripped most of the remaining strands (which were weak from bending from the work I had previously done) off at the point they exit the stator laminations. The motor still worked ok amazingly, but when I dumped about 4KW into it from a standstill, the few remaining strands on the green phase melted, taking out a bunch of other strands near it in the process and sending it into a state beyond repair:
Image

So in the end it was a complex series of events that really smoked my HS4065, but to most people it was smoked right back at the beginning when I was running 6KW and toasted those first few strands. I'm really glad I did toast it though or I might never have tried the fan cooling mod which has turned out to be the best cooling mod I've ever seen or tried to date. :D
I also learned about the need to paint the stator before forcing air through it with fans, and never ever to spray WD40 in there again. :roll:

Cheers
ebikegarage.com.au - My website
Ebike Garage - My YouTube Ebike ramblings.
Cowardlyducks - Videos - Ride videos
BikeE recumbent commuter - 9C, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 52V, + on-board solar.

Custom made 18650/21700 battery packs - Australia only

Theodore Voltaire   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sep 26 2013 11:41pm
Location: Texas

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » May 21 2016 6:10pm

I feel so sorry for you poor slobs. Here's another picture of my bike to brighten up your day. :)

Image

User avatar
QuietRush   100 W

100 W
Posts: 154
Joined: Jan 17 2011 6:20am
Location: Central Coast + Hunter regions, NSW and ACT (occasionally)
Contact:

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by QuietRush » May 21 2016 6:24pm

I noted Airbus announced a 3d printed eBike of their own recently, for only 50kEuro and a 37m range.
Image

http://phys.org/news/2016-05-airbus-unv ... cycle.html

They should do well at that price and range....waiting to hear the gushing response of the crowds wanting to get in on that sort of action...

<crickets>

TV - good to see you've come over to the Brooks lemon squeezers..they're a great seat. Supporting riders lemons for over 100yrs.
http://store.quietrush.com.au/blog/a-tw ... rospective

Image

Theodore Voltaire   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sep 26 2013 11:41pm
Location: Texas

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » May 21 2016 7:07pm

QuietRush wrote:
Image
That would have been my second choice.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7024
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » May 21 2016 7:52pm

QuietRush wrote:I noted Airbus announced a 3d printed eBike of their own recently, for only 50kEuro and a 37m range.
[img]http://c
[url]http://phys.

They should do well at that price and range....waiting to hear the gushing response of the crowds wanting to get in on that sort of action...

<crickets>

TV - good to see you've come over to the Brooks lemon squeezers..they're a great seat. Supporting riders lemons for over 100yrs.
[u
[img]
Its always good to see you chime in QR. Hey TV, this is the guy that turned me onto the Brooke's saddle.

@CD, Your 4065 doesn't look that bad. So when it took its final dump, not worth repairing?

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2959
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Cowardlyduck » May 21 2016 11:00pm

Rix wrote:@CD, Your 4065 doesn't look that bad. So when it took its final dump, not worth repairing?
Not possible to repair...not for lack of trying:
Image

In the end it was the axle from this HS4065 which saved my HS4080 and brought it back, so not a complete loss anyway. :)
This is what's left of it now:
Image

Cheers
ebikegarage.com.au - My website
Ebike Garage - My YouTube Ebike ramblings.
Cowardlyducks - Videos - Ride videos
BikeE recumbent commuter - 9C, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 52V, + on-board solar.

Custom made 18650/21700 battery packs - Australia only

one4torque   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 336
Joined: Dec 28 2015 8:29pm
Location: Texas, fighting entropy one build at a time...

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by one4torque » May 21 2016 11:34pm

Just need to order a seat from Lincoln quigley, he WILL take care of you and your money. Ask me how I know :). Supporting the aus economy one deadbeat at a time. If anyone ever heard from this knuckle head Lmk. I have a msg for him.
Last edited by one4torque on May 22 2016 7:24am, edited 1 time in total.
sucka free since 1968

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7024
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » May 22 2016 2:54am

one4torque wrote:Just need to order a seat from Lincoln quigley, he WILL take care of you and your money. Ask me how I know :). Supporting the aus economy one deadbeat at a time. If anyone ever heard from this knuckle head Lmk. I have a msg for him.
This is weird, I just talked to a guy in Sacramento, he got his Quigly kickstand in. Took about 5 months to get though.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7024
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » May 22 2016 2:57am

Cowardlyduck wrote:
Rix wrote:@CD, Your 4065 doesn't look that bad. So when it took its final dump, not worth repairing?
Not possible to repair...[ur
In the end it was the axle from this HS4065 which saved my HS4080 and brought it back, so not a complete loss anyway. :)
This is what's left of it now:

Cheers
Okay, those pics paint a different picture, el motoro is muy fuqd-upeo.

one4torque   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 336
Joined: Dec 28 2015 8:29pm
Location: Texas, fighting entropy one build at a time...

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by one4torque » May 22 2016 7:26am

5 months from October 2015. I guess we are in that window...... Holding breath.
He doesn't get a pass on this one.
sucka free since 1968

User avatar
Hyena   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5628
Joined: Aug 13 2008 9:10am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Hyena » May 22 2016 8:10am

one4torque wrote: Supporting the aus economy one deadbeat at a time.
Thanks, I appreciate the business :mrgreen: :P
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered e-bike kits and custom performance ebikes
New FUTR and Hyena special edition Beta frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...

one4torque   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 336
Joined: Dec 28 2015 8:29pm
Location: Texas, fighting entropy one build at a time...

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by one4torque » May 22 2016 1:01pm

HAH! hyena..... not you pal.

Pardon my strong msg... I just remembered my contribution to AUS economoy last Oct 2015 to this dude..... and it just burns my azzzz to think about it.
I'll be the 1st to post up here if a box arrives (NOW 7 months later), but I do see a service to my fellow stealth buds... to openly show how I have been handled through QMS esquire.
sucka free since 1968

Post Reply