E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Show off your Ebike creation here.
Theodore Voltaire   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4493
Joined: Sep 26 2013 11:41pm
Location: Texas

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Aug 07 2021 6:03pm

Night time jungle riding with some one wheels, and euc's

Image

1abv   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1488
Joined: Mar 29 2013 11:19pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by 1abv » Aug 07 2021 11:36pm

Image

its a dry heat....

Theodore Voltaire   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4493
Joined: Sep 26 2013 11:41pm
Location: Texas

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Aug 08 2021 12:38am

Is it worth it to buy that magnetic fluid to put in your motor, and if you do, what else do you have to do to keep it in there?

Cozen89   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 35
Joined: May 14 2021 1:31am

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Cozen89 » Aug 08 2021 4:59am

Rix wrote:
Aug 04 2021 9:58am
Cozen89 wrote:
Aug 03 2021 3:49am
I know most of you own bombers, but for us little guys, has anyone gone to a 72v Battery on their F37? Stealth says the stock controller and motor can handle it. Can anyone share their experience or details on the process? Thanks!!
Go back to pages 100-300, you will see several Fighters with 72 volt packs. Specifically Hyena's Fighter was modded to 10+kw back when 5kw was the powerhouse standard.
Thanks, I’ve been trying to go through it but there are a looooot of pages to sort through haha. I’ll keep at it. I may have to set a goal of 5 pages per night 😂

Cozen89   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 35
Joined: May 14 2021 1:31am

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Cozen89 » Aug 08 2021 5:04am

Sorry another noob question. I may have come across a good deal on some 2019 fox 40 forks. Will these fit on the f37 without changing the geometry too much?

I also received a new 3D print for my faceplate/headlight mount. This one has a much steeper angle to help aim the headlight lower. I’ll try and get some better pics outside when it’s not dark out.
Attachments
DF5DEE82-3901-482B-9640-0341E68999F4.jpeg
DF5DEE82-3901-482B-9640-0341E68999F4.jpeg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 452 times
FD484DC0-63EE-498C-9C89-7AA8F5ADE6AA.jpeg
FD484DC0-63EE-498C-9C89-7AA8F5ADE6AA.jpeg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 452 times

litespeed   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1594
Joined: Aug 11 2010 4:42pm
Location: O’Fallon, Missouri

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by litespeed » Aug 08 2021 10:45am

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Aug 08 2021 12:38am
Is it worth it to buy that magnetic fluid to put in your motor, and if you do, what else do you have to do to keep it in there?
Yes it is Theodore, very much worth it. I’d recommend Hubsinks also. It turned my motor from a space heater to a cool running machine. For me and my riding style Hubsinks/ferro fluid was the biggest improvement I’d ever gained in e-biking.

Tom
I'm married so you know I'm no stranger to pain!

Theodore Voltaire   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4493
Joined: Sep 26 2013 11:41pm
Location: Texas

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Aug 08 2021 2:33pm

litespeed wrote:
Aug 08 2021 10:45am
Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Aug 08 2021 12:38am
Is it worth it to buy that magnetic fluid to put in your motor, and if you do, what else do you have to do to keep it in there?
Yes it is Theodore, very much worth it. I’d recommend Hubsinks also. It turned my motor from a space heater to a cool running machine. For me and my riding style Hubsinks/ferro fluid was the biggest improvement I’d ever gained in e-biking.

Tom
Thanks for the good info Tom. Do you have to seal the motor side covers or anything to keep the stuff in there? Do you think it increases motor drag?

1abv   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1488
Joined: Mar 29 2013 11:19pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by 1abv » Aug 08 2021 4:33pm

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Aug 08 2021 2:33pm
litespeed wrote:
Aug 08 2021 10:45am
Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Aug 08 2021 12:38am
Is it worth it to buy that magnetic fluid to put in your motor, and if you do, what else do you have to do to keep it in there?
Yes it is Theodore, very much worth it. I’d recommend Hubsinks also. It turned my motor from a space heater to a cool running machine. For me and my riding style Hubsinks/ferro fluid was the biggest improvement I’d ever gained in e-biking.

Tom
Thanks for the good info Tom. Do you have to seal the motor side covers or anything to keep the stuff in there? Do you think it increases motor drag?
Totally worth it if you are having overheating issues. If not I wouldn't bother. You don't need to do anything to seal the motor.
I do not notice any drag at all.

You do need a way to get it into the motor. I had to drill a hole close to the outside edge of the motor. I also taped and installed a bolt.
Before installing the Ferro Fluid it was borderline useless for serious off-road. Adding the fluid kept the temps much lower for longer and now I can beat on it pretty good. I still would like to get it about 5 degrees cooler.

I did a test on the same terrain with and without ferro fluid. w/o fluid I could go about 15 min then....I'm waiting to cool down.... with the fluid it would never get to high temps. I have my power shut off at 130 and roll off begins at 105.

A while after that I added Hubsinks. I noticed they didn't necessarily lower the temps but the peaks dropped much faster and the time it took to cool was faster. Not nearly as dramatic as the ferro fluid though. From 125-100 the temps drop quick. Once into the 90's it would take a while to get the temps down lower and usually means dialing back the throttle output to under 1000.

I don't know if I would have bothered if I was riding on relatively flat paved ground unless I was racing. I've never had my bike overheat on pavement w riding in cali in the 90's.


Cozen I like the raw look of the 3d print. very cool detail.

Theodore Voltaire   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4493
Joined: Sep 26 2013 11:41pm
Location: Texas

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Aug 08 2021 5:59pm

1abv wrote:
Aug 08 2021 4:33pm

Totally worth it if you are having overheating issues. If not I wouldn't bother. You don't need to do anything to seal the motor.
I do not notice any drag at all.

You do need a way to get it into the motor. I had to drill a hole close to the outside edge of the motor. I also taped and installed a bolt.
Before installing the Ferro Fluid it was borderline useless for serious off-road. Adding the fluid kept the temps much lower for longer and now I can beat on it pretty good. I still would like to get it about 5 degrees cooler.

I did a test on the same terrain with and without ferro fluid. w/o fluid I could go about 15 min then....I'm waiting to cool down.... with the fluid it would never get to high temps. I have my power shut off at 130 and roll off begins at 105.

A while after that I added Hubsinks. I noticed they didn't necessarily lower the temps but the peaks dropped much faster and the time it took to cool was faster. Not nearly as dramatic as the ferro fluid though. From 125-100 the temps drop quick. Once into the 90's it would take a while to get the temps down lower and usually means dialing back the throttle output to under 1000.

I don't know if I would have bothered if I was riding on relatively flat paved ground unless I was racing. I've never had my bike overheat on pavement w riding in cali in the 90's.
Is it not possible to put it in through one of the 2 condensate holes in the motor side plate on the right side?

1abv   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1488
Joined: Mar 29 2013 11:19pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by 1abv » Aug 08 2021 7:17pm

take a look at this video from the grin guys.. looks like they set it up so maybe you don't need to drill anymore.

https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-pro ... orade.html

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3902
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Cowardlyduck » Aug 09 2021 7:44am

Yes ferro fluid is worth it...even if your not overheating as the increased efficiency from a cooler running motor will get you more range.

Do not drill a hole near the outside edge though...that is where the windings are. 1abv, you're lucky you didn't hit the windings!

As per the ferro fluid instructions, if you need to drill a hole, do it as close as possible to the axle, or better yet use one of the existing disc rotor bolt holes and using a smaller drill bit carefully drill all the way through. That way it gets sealed when you reinstall the disc rotor bolts with some locktight.

If you already have a hole, just use that and enlarge if necessary. I've added ferro fluid to countless hub motors including small scooter motors and it always helps. It does need to be topped up about once a year with regular riding, but that's no big deal compared to it's benefits.

Cheers
ebikegarage.com.au - My website
Ebike Garage - My YouTube Ebike ramblings.
Cowardlyducks - Videos - Ride videos
BikeE recumbent commuter - 9C, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 52V, + on-board solar.

Custom made 18650/21700 battery packs - Australia only

Theodore Voltaire   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4493
Joined: Sep 26 2013 11:41pm
Location: Texas

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Aug 09 2021 9:58am

Thanks for all the tips on the ferro fluid, I knew you guys would know a lot about it. Grin sells 10 ml on Amazon for $28. I'm guessing 8 ml will be about right for my bomber motor?


Theodore Voltaire   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4493
Joined: Sep 26 2013 11:41pm
Location: Texas

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Aug 09 2021 7:18pm

Thanks moonkagliwicee, this video is good because they say exactly how much fluid they use in a qs205 motor, and it's not much.

1abv   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1488
Joined: Mar 29 2013 11:19pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by 1abv » Aug 10 2021 1:55am

Cowardlyduck wrote:
Aug 09 2021 7:44am
Yes ferro fluid is worth it...even if your not overheating as the increased efficiency from a cooler running motor will get you more range.

Do not drill a hole near the outside edge though...that is where the windings are. 1abv, you're lucky you didn't hit the windings!

As per the ferro fluid instructions, if you need to drill a hole, do it as close as possible to the axle, or better yet use one of the existing disc rotor bolt holes and using a smaller drill bit carefully drill all the way through. That way it gets sealed when you reinstall the disc rotor bolts with some locktight.

If you already have a hole, just use that and enlarge if necessary. I've added ferro fluid to countless hub motors including small scooter motors and it always helps. It does need to be topped up about once a year with regular riding, but that's no big deal compared to it's benefits.

Cheers
Me lucky?? HAHA! That would be nice! Nah no luck here. I was taking my motor apart for other reasons when I drilled it so the only thing I would be drilling into would be a big fat block of wood.

TV do you know what temps your at?

Image

Billy.A   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Jul 09 2021 5:28am

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Billy.A » Aug 10 2021 3:45am

Can you believe it, happened again!!

riding along minding my own business, next thing a popping noise like the bead slipping over the rim and the rear wheel locks up!!
I jump off to relieve the pressure out of the tube so the wheel will spin when i push the bike and bang the tube pops WTF
Second time in a Month.

was in the middle of no where too, had to push it for what felt like forever till i hit a main road and had to call someone to pick me up...
puncture.jpg
puncture.jpg (4.71 MiB) Viewed 365 times
ive really lost confidence in this tyre now and have ordered a moto rim and tyre off Stealth,
is anyone running the moto rim and tyre and can give me some feedback on it please?..is it the way to go??

was having a great ride too..bummer!! :cry:

Theodore Voltaire   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4493
Joined: Sep 26 2013 11:41pm
Location: Texas

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Aug 10 2021 9:02am

Billy.A wrote:
Aug 10 2021 3:45am
Can you believe it, happened again!!

riding along minding my own business, next thing a popping noise like the bead slipping over the rim and the rear wheel locks up!!
I jump off to relieve the pressure out of the tube so the wheel will spin when i push the bike and bang the tube pops WTF
Second time in a Month.

was in the middle of no where too, had to push it for what felt like forever till i hit a main road and had to call someone to pick me up...

puncture.jpg

ive really lost confidence in this tyre now and have ordered a moto rim and tyre off Stealth,
is anyone running the moto rim and tyre and can give me some feedback on it please?..is it the way to go??

was having a great ride too..bummer!! :cry:
That's a real bummer Billy. Pushing a Bomber with a flat tire for miles is no walk in the park. Something must be different between your new bike and mine. When my bike was brand new I removed the stock razorback, and installed street tires. I remember it was a very hard tire to get off the rim. On your bike they just hop off.

1abv   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1488
Joined: Mar 29 2013 11:19pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by 1abv » Aug 10 2021 11:38am

Billy,
First that sucks having to push ye old bomber. I too have been down that road a few times. There was this park by my house that had the crazy plants that left prickers on the ground that looked like little roofing nails. I would always find a few in my tire after a ride. A couple of times they went in so far they popped the tube. sux..

After many different attempts to modify the tire/ rim combo I switched to moto. Now when I get a flat I can ride it out of anything.
I noticed a very very slight difference in handling when I went to moto but well worth it. I use regular moto tubes. I never went w HD moto tubes. Maybe some other peeps here did?

Im sure you cleaned everything before installing the new tire/ tube combo and the pressure was normal.. So the only things I can think of are:

Do any of the spoke heads poke through the rim possibly puncturing the tube?
Is there a crack or deformation on the rim?

Either way I would go moto. I feel that the bikes should come standard w at least a rear moto rim if not both front and rear. Tires last wayyyyyy longer like years vs months and the weight difference is well worth it and you can run lower pressures. The tire selection is greater as well.

With rear bike tire.. that I had for less than 1 year Multiple flats..
W moto rim that I've had since around 2014 maybe 2 or 3 flats. all were ridden back to the truck.

I found an old post of mine about this:


The holmes hobbies 19" x 1.6" wheel : 3lbs

The stock 24" wheel: 1.8 lbs

The stock Duro, MC HD tube, and MR. tuffy strip: 6.6 lbs

Vee Rubber VRM021, IRC regular tube, Rim strip 7.6 lbs

Totals:
Stock w MC tube etc: 8.4 lbs
MC 19": 10.6 lbs

Diff 2.2 LBS
Technically it's probably a touch less because I didn't weigh the rim strip of the stock and also I know some people run slime in their MC tubes as well. Ok Ok fine... I didn't weight the spokes... but you get the idea.

Cozen89   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 35
Joined: May 14 2021 1:31am

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Cozen89 » Aug 10 2021 4:27pm

Pre-ride snap. Showing off the new face plate again. Pretty happy with this one. I think it’s complete.
Attachments
0E85930A-0529-43D1-B1A7-450CFC57060D.jpeg
0E85930A-0529-43D1-B1A7-450CFC57060D.jpeg (4.29 MiB) Viewed 339 times
1F943009-099A-4903-AF5E-08588D3C2900.jpeg
1F943009-099A-4903-AF5E-08588D3C2900.jpeg (3.54 MiB) Viewed 339 times

Theodore Voltaire   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4493
Joined: Sep 26 2013 11:41pm
Location: Texas

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Aug 10 2021 5:26pm

Cozen89, that's the best looking one yet. It resembles a Stealth fighter jet.

Billy.A   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Jul 09 2021 5:28am

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Billy.A » Aug 10 2021 6:43pm

Cozen89 wrote:
Aug 10 2021 4:27pm
Pre-ride snap. Showing off the new face plate again. Pretty happy with this one. I think it’s complete.
Looks good buddy, good job :thumb:
Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Aug 10 2021 9:02am
Billy.A wrote:
Aug 10 2021 3:45am
That's a real bummer Billy. Pushing a Bomber with a flat tire for miles is no walk in the park. Something must be different between your new bike and mine. When my bike was brand new I removed the stock razorback, and installed street tires. I remember it was a very hard tire to get off the rim. On your bike they just hop off.
yes Theodore, they are definitely a soft tyre. Im guessing there is a defect in the bead, 2 in one Month is not right!
1abv wrote:
Aug 10 2021 11:38am
After many different attempts to modify the tire/ rim combo I switched to moto. Now when I get a flat I can ride it out of anything.
Perfecto!! :bolt:
1abv wrote:
Aug 10 2021 11:38am
I noticed a very very slight difference in handling when I went to moto but well worth it. I use regular moto tubes. I never went w HD moto tubes. Maybe some other peeps here did?
Im willing to sacrifice a little bit of handling plus some extra weight to achieve confidence and piece of mind.
plus my bike was fitted factory with a rear rim on the front which is bigger and thicker so the front wheel is an upgrade in itself.
1abv wrote:
Aug 10 2021 11:38am
Im sure you cleaned everything before installing the new tire/ tube combo and the pressure was normal.. So the only things I can think of are:
After the first blow out ,i took the bike to Stealth HQ ( i live less than 10 mins away from where they make these machines and the inspection and new rear tyre was fitted by Stealth themselves.
1abv wrote:
Aug 10 2021 11:38am
Do any of the spoke heads poke through the rim possibly puncturing the tube?
Is there a crack or deformation on the rim?
No, the spokes and rim tape are good. The bead jumped the rim first, then the tube popped after i got off the bike to release some pressure, its a tyre issue..
1abv wrote:
Aug 10 2021 11:38am
Either way I would go moto. I feel that the bikes should come standard w at least a rear moto rim if not both front and rear. Tires last wayyyyyy longer like years vs months and the weight difference is well worth it and you can run lower pressures. The tire selection is greater as well.
Yes, agreed mate. Im not lifting the bike too often so the extra couple of kg shouldn't be an issue i would think.

Thank you everyone for your your sympathetic ears and advice,
Man this bike is constantly evolving!

ive asked the boys at Stealth to sit a black rear rim on my bike and take a photo, want to see how she looks with one red rim and one black rim, if it looks shit, they will send the rim out to be powder coated red..
Have a great day/evening everyone :)

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 9905
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » Aug 11 2021 3:17pm

Billy.A wrote:
Aug 10 2021 3:45am
Can you believe it, happened again!!

riding along minding my own business, next thing a popping noise like the bead slipping over the rim and the rear wheel locks up!!
I jump off to relieve the pressure out of the tube so the wheel will spin when i push the bike and bang the tube pops WTF
Second time in a Month.

was in the middle of no where too, had to push it for what felt like forever till i hit a main road and had to call someone to pick me up...

puncture.jpg

ive really lost confidence in this tyre now and have ordered a moto rim and tyre off Stealth,
is anyone running the moto rim and tyre and can give me some feedback on it please?..is it the way to go??

was having a great ride too..bummer!! :cry:
https://stealthelectricbikes.com/technical-support/

Contact Stealth tech support, some of these tires have bead issues, Stealth will most likely send you a new tire.

Billy.A   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Jul 09 2021 5:28am

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Billy.A » Aug 12 2021 1:27am

Rix wrote:
Aug 11 2021 3:17pm
Billy.A wrote:
Aug 10 2021 3:45am
Can you believe it, happened again!!

riding along minding my own business, next thing a popping noise like the bead slipping over the rim and the rear wheel locks up!!
I jump off to relieve the pressure out of the tube so the wheel will spin when i push the bike and bang the tube pops WTF
Second time in a Month.

was in the middle of no where too, had to push it for what felt like forever till i hit a main road and had to call someone to pick me up...

puncture.jpg

ive really lost confidence in this tyre now and have ordered a moto rim and tyre off Stealth,
is anyone running the moto rim and tyre and can give me some feedback on it please?..is it the way to go??

was having a great ride too..bummer!! :cry:
https://stealthelectricbikes.com/technical-support/

Contact Stealth tech support, some of these tires have bead issues, Stealth will most likely send you a new tire.
Gday Rix
I took the bike to Stealth HQ and they put a new tyre on for me with about a 3 hour turn around.
I live very close to their HQ
I was going to go with a rear Moto rim but changed my mind .
I have a new tyre from a different batch now so ill see how this one goes :shock:

Stealth's after sales service is Excellent which gives me so much peace of mind.
I love riding this thing! :flame:

Theodore Voltaire   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4493
Joined: Sep 26 2013 11:41pm
Location: Texas

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Aug 12 2021 7:07pm

I got some statorade from Amazon. 10ml for $28
20210812_185524.jpg
20210812_185524.jpg (232.11 KiB) Viewed 233 times

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 9905
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » Aug 13 2021 11:15am

Billy.A wrote:
Aug 12 2021 1:27am
Rix wrote:
Aug 11 2021 3:17pm
Billy.A wrote:
Aug 10 2021 3:45am
Can you believe it, happened again!!

riding along minding my own business, next thing a popping noise like the bead slipping over the rim and the rear wheel locks up!!
I jump off to relieve the pressure out of the tube so the wheel will spin when i push the bike and bang the tube pops WTF
Second time in a Month.

was in the middle of no where too, had to push it for what felt like forever till i hit a main road and had to call someone to pick me up...

puncture.jpg

ive really lost confidence in this tyre now and have ordered a moto rim and tyre off Stealth,
is anyone running the moto rim and tyre and can give me some feedback on it please?..is it the way to go??

was having a great ride too..bummer!! :cry:
https://stealthelectricbikes.com/technical-support/

Contact Stealth tech support, some of these tires have bead issues, Stealth will most likely send you a new tire.
Gday Rix
I took the bike to Stealth HQ and they put a new tyre on for me with about a 3 hour turn around.
I live very close to their HQ
I was going to go with a rear Moto rim but changed my mind .
I have a new tyre from a different batch now so ill see how this one goes :shock:

Stealth's after sales service is Excellent which gives me so much peace of mind.
I love riding this thing! :flame:
Yes Stealth is great after services, I wish I lived close to HQ. Sometimes we are at the mercy of customs taking time clearing parts or bikes here in the US so support can be delayed.

Post Reply