E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Show off your E-bike creation here.
Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » Oct 25 2015 1:28am

voicecoils wrote:
Rix wrote: Anyway, I shared this because if save someone else 16 hours of trouble by checking the brake lever plunger screw, its worth it, even at the price of me looking like a tard. :roll:
Ouch that is a touch lesson.

Yep, backing out the lever adjust all the way is a necessary pre-bleed step, otherwise you have preload on the plunger and can't fully fill the system with enough fluid.
Had an epic ride today in northern California again. Your old stompin ground, well sort of. Anyway my brakes worked perfectly. Again thanks for the transfer devices.

SUNDRIVE   10 W

10 W

Post by SUNDRIVE » Oct 25 2015 7:51am

Hi there Stealthites,

Got delivery of a Domino full length twist throttle with microswitch for fitting to a stock standard Stealth Fighter, primarily for the full length throttle, but also to incorporate regen braking in twist grip.
My son and I were checking things out prior to installing and came across the following hiccup; the microswitch seems to be open when throttle closed and closes as throttle rolls back, which means that with the stock Fighter Crystalyte controller, regen is activated as throttle is rolled on ! That's not very useful. does anyone know of a work around for this ? Can I mod the throttle switch to be NC at rest and NO when throttle is turned, or can I mod the controller to take a reverse signal to normal ? Or do I just got me a full length throttle and keep the original Stealth regen button ?

I bought a second one for my Flux build, for which I will use an Adaptto controller, and I thought I read in a post that they can be programmed to activate regen on either a closed or open switch, can anyone confirm if that is the case?

Thanks, appreciate any advice.

Allex   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Allex » Oct 25 2015 12:47pm

Got myself a Domino as well, for my Beta build. I am just a bit worries that the brake handle will be to far away from the grip.
Sure you can set the adaptto controller for a reverse switch position. So Domino on that will work no prob!

Brute   100 W

100 W

Post by Brute » Oct 26 2015 1:20am

You could wire it through a 5 pin relay , with terminals 87 and 87A it`ll give you the choice of N.O or N.C. . I`m talking automotive type relays here . Just gotta find room to fit it somewhere . There are very small ones available now .

SUNDRIVE   10 W

10 W

Post by SUNDRIVE » Oct 26 2015 5:32am

Thanks Brute,
So I would need to run a separate 12V supply throught the microswitch and relay coil, I will have to check if the Domino microswitch can handle 12V. Now as far as getting the 12V supply from the Stealth Fighter, can anyone direct me to the right wires ? My search skills are rubbish, but I did try searching this topic for "Stealth wiring diagram", surely within 484 pages someone has posted one, but I could not find one, does anyone know if a stealth wiring diagram is buried in the topic, or elsewhere in the forum, or somewhere else ?? I am sure others would find this useful too.

JB

IanM   100 W

100 W

Post by IanM » Oct 27 2015 3:51am

SUNDRIVE wrote:Thanks Brute,
So I would need to run a separate 12V supply throught the microswitch and relay coil, I will have to check if the Domino microswitch can handle 12V. Now as far as getting the 12V supply from the Stealth Fighter, can anyone direct me to the right wires ? My search skills are rubbish, but I did try searching this topic for "Stealth wiring diagram", surely within 484 pages someone has posted one, but I could not find one, does anyone know if a stealth wiring diagram is buried in the topic, or elsewhere in the forum, or somewhere else ?? I am sure others would find this useful too.

JB
Hey sundrive, just a thought does the fighter have a crystalite controller. There's a chance there is a alternative solder pads on the board for brake hi or brake low. Might be just a case of swapping your brake wires. I think maybe ebikes ca might be able to help if you shoot em a email as they sell xlyte controllers

Brute   100 W

100 W

Post by Brute » Oct 27 2015 6:57am

SUNDRIVE wrote:Thanks Brute,

JB
I don`t know how much current you would be drawing but I think a 24V relay would handle 48+volts at low current ok ,less than 15 amps ?

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Oct 27 2015 7:30pm

Here is pic of the Fighter with Prosser Reservoir in the back ground. The lake is at almost 6000 feet, we are about 1000 feet above that, pretty view.
Attachments
Fighter in the hills1.jpg
Fighter in the hills1.jpg (169.55 KiB) Viewed 1978 times

bigbore   10 kW

10 kW

Post by bigbore » Oct 28 2015 8:57am

Beautiful pic Rix! Bravo :D

CJonaBttlrckt   10 W

10 W

Post by CJonaBttlrckt » Oct 28 2015 4:49pm

Hi all,
I'm jealous, nice view Rix!
Replacement bomber seat subframe turned up yesterday and the steel plate is somewhat thicker that my original.
Cheers,
Clinton

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Oct 28 2015 5:02pm

CJonaBttlrckt wrote:Hi all,
I'm jealous, nice view Rix!
Replacement bomber seat subframe turned up yesterday and the steel plate is somewhat thicker that my original.
Cheers,
Clinton
Entertain something for me, measure the thickness, should Mic out around 2.5mm to 2.8mm depending on powdercoat thickness.

SUNDRIVE   10 W

10 W

Post by SUNDRIVE » Oct 28 2015 5:21pm

Re Domino throttle on stock Fighter.

Thanks guys, I sorted it out by pulling apart the throttle body and replaced the micro switch with a NO wired unit. My soldering skills are rubbish so I cooked the first one, lucky I bought two.

Yes Ian it is a Crystalyte controller, stock Fighter, that is good to know about changing the pins, in retrospect that would have been the easiest fix.

Took the bike for a quick test late last night just around the house, it goes; regen- dead spot- throttle action. The dead spot next to regen at fully closed is useful, but a little too wide. I can try rotating the pot wheel gear one tooth before meshing with the throttle gear teeth. Resistance goes from 5.4 kOhm to about 1.9 Ohm. If I adjust the gear position it will likely be 4.9 kOhm to 1.4 Ohm.

Throttle action itself is very smooth and progressive through rpm range. Full width much more comfortable than halfie.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Oct 28 2015 9:47pm

bigbore wrote:Beautiful pic Rix! Bravo :D
Thanks Simone, this area reminds me of the lake outside of Nuero Sardegna.

IanM   100 W

100 W

Post by IanM » Oct 29 2015 4:38am

SUNDRIVE wrote:Re Domino throttle on stock Fighter.

Thanks guys, I sorted it out by pulling apart the throttle body and replaced the micro switch with a NO wired unit. My soldering skills are rubbish so I cooked the first one, lucky I bought two.

Yes Ian it is a Crystalyte controller, stock Fighter, that is good to know about changing the pins, in retrospect that would have been the easiest fix.

Took the bike for a quick test late last night just around the house, it goes; regen- dead spot- throttle action. The dead spot next to regen at fully closed is useful, but a little too wide. I can try rotating the pot wheel gear one tooth before meshing with the throttle gear teeth. Resistance goes from 5.4 kOhm to about 1.9 Ohm. If I adjust the gear position it will likely be 4.9 kOhm to 1.4 Ohm.

Throttle action itself is very smooth and progressive through rpm range. Full width much more comfortable than halfie.
Glad you got it sorted. It was only a guess about the controller I may have been totally wrong but perhaps worth a look.
I got a decent ride in today with the new domino throttle and it is a good improvement for sure. Nice feel and good modulation plus a proper mc grip. How do you find having the regen setup like that? Do you think it will be hard to get used to?

Allex   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Allex » Oct 29 2015 7:39am

This is my personal observations:
You dont want to have regen all the time, in fact it is counterproductive. This is because very often you want to roll down the road without breaking, this way you store more kinetic energy. When the regen activates involuntarily every time you release the throttle this actually decrease your range. You save more energy by using regen in the right situation - not in all situations, because very often when you release the throttle, the vehicle brakes in so much that you need to use more power to accelerate from that brake-in that you got from regen in the first place. So use it only when you need to brake otherwise it is a waste.

bigbore   10 kW

10 kW

Post by bigbore » Oct 29 2015 10:36am

SUNDRIVE wrote:Re Domino throttle on stock Fighter.

Is this one the Domino throttle?
http://www.electricmotorsport.com/domin ... witch.html

Allex   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Allex » Oct 29 2015 11:07am

Yup, got mine today! Very nice quality(Made in Italy!) compared to traditional chinese throttles
Will be interesting to see how it feels on my new bike.
Attachments
DSC06052.JPG
DSC06052.JPG (118.67 KiB) Viewed 1889 times

bigbore   10 kW

10 kW

Post by bigbore » Oct 29 2015 11:32am

Allex wrote:Yup, got mine today! Very nice quality(Made in Italy!) compared to traditional chinese throttles
Will be interesting to see how it feels on my new bike.
I need to find a way to get one of those here in Italy but it seems they are not going to sell me one of those throttle at least from the e-mail I got from them some months ago.

Allex   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Allex » Oct 29 2015 12:44pm

Will send you a pm

SUNDRIVE   10 W

10 W

Post by SUNDRIVE » Oct 29 2015 4:31pm

I agree, if you are riding MX you may want instant switch between accelerate and regen, but just tooling around the bush freewheeling is essential for relaxed and economic riding. I have set the pot gear wheel in the Domino throttle back to probably where it was factory set and I now have a smaller neutral zone between power and regen at throttle stop. Will have to do some thorough test riding up and down steep grade on rough tracks to see if it integrates well with normal braking and throttle actions. If not I can re-install the Stealth regen button next to the rear brake, that arrangement was useable. Ideal would be a two way throttle with a strong Spring return from a forward regen position back to neutral, variable regen too if your controller does it. Does anyone know if such a device exists ? There was some mention of a "Vectrix" throttle recently, are they gettable?

JB

Archer   10 W

10 W

Post by Archer » Oct 30 2015 12:59pm

Geez Guys,look at Allex's hand.No oil stained skin.No gunk under the finger nails. See this is what happens when you go from gasoline engine powered bikes to electric bikes!

:D

Tim.

Jimboyr6   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Jimboyr6 » Oct 30 2015 2:22pm

Lol i was thinking that when his post popped up
Stealth bomber owner 138 livin the dream

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Oct 30 2015 5:40pm

Archer wrote:Geez Guys,look at Allex's hand.No oil stained skin.No gunk under the finger nails. See this is what happens when you go from gasoline engine powered bikes to electric bikes!

:D

Tim.
Yep, definitely a cleaner sport.

SUNDRIVE   10 W

10 W

Post by SUNDRIVE » Oct 30 2015 11:16pm

bigbore, yes that appears to be the throttle, though I thought I read a post somewhere that the IP rating was improved from what is specified in the link you have.

IanM, I think the sttings are dialled in nicely now wrt to regen/neutral/accelerate, I think its a winner, feels kind of natural and intuitive. the one thing I still have to adapt to is leaving the throttle cracked open slightly when applying front brake, if i dont want regen on the rear at the same time. Still think a two way throttle would be ideal if anyone knows of one.

jb

DasDouble   100 kW

100 kW

Post by DasDouble » Oct 31 2015 2:01pm

What tires does a Stealth bike has? 17" motorcycle or 19" motorcycle ones??
Which do you prefer and why? :)

-Thanks, Cheers, Elias
Mechatronics-Engineering Student
-Built own ebike: ✔
-Built own 3.2kWh LiIon battery (300Amps): ✔
-Overtake Porsche with own Ebike: ✔
-Take off with ebike: ✖

~14kW, 3.2kWh LiIon, QS 205 8ml ff, hubsink