E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Show off your E-bike creation here.
Hyena   100 GW

100 GW

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Hyena » May 04 2013 8:00pm

My money is on the hall plug - if it was the key switch the CA shouldn't come on and in turn the bike wouldn't work at all.
There's about a 1 second delay from the time you turn the key until the CA "boots up" during which time you'll have no throttle. So if it was a wet key switch the CA could be turning on and off intermittently but not fast enough to cause jerking. That's a classic halls symptom.
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered e-bike kits and custom performance ebikes
New FUTR and Hyena special edition Beta frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...

Cowardlyduck   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » May 05 2013 2:52am

Yep Hall plug. Exact same thing happened to me...which is why I started wrapping my Hall plug in tape, however I soon learnt that that just traps more water in...best bet is to just dry it after rain like others have said.

Cheers
My stuff:
Ebike Garage - My YouTube Ebike ramblings.
Cowardlyducks - Videos - Ride videos
BikeE recumbent commuter - 9C, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 52V, + on-board solar.

For Sale:
Custom made 18650/21700 battery packs - Australia only
High Power LiPo wiring harnesses - 4P - XT90, HXT4mm, 5.5mm. 200Amp+ capable. Global shipping.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » May 05 2013 12:25pm

I have had great luck with Boeshield T9. I sprayed that stuff on my vented stators, key hole, connectors, CA buttons, sensor connector. Doesn't rain very often and I don't ride in the rain if I can avoid it. We get the periodic flash flood dump and I haven't had any issues. For what its worth.

Lowbank, did you get your Vboxx sorted out? Was the problem identified? Gears chipped?

Rick

QMS   100 W

100 W

Post by QMS » May 05 2013 10:20pm

[quote="Rix"]

QMS, that is one very nice Quigly special army green bomber you have. Thats so pretty, I would have a hard time getting it dirty, at first. Kind of like a new car, you are afraid to park it in a public lot or store lot until the first scratch, then its no more of a concern.

Hey Rix
Yes it was hard getting it dirty the first time! But done now :roll: No major damage though, just a few chips :(
quigleymotorsport.com
quigleyms@internode.on.net
ImageImage

QMS   100 W

100 W

Post by QMS » May 05 2013 10:30pm

morati wrote:Mr. Quigley, since you've owned an older version of the Bomber and this new 2013 model, do you know any differences in ride characteristics between the two?
Hey Morati
There are no physical differences between the 2 models eg frame, suspension & drive train etc however the crystallite hub motors are definitely are a little torquier on the latest version. Top speed seems about the same around 80-85 kph. A couple of Bombers I have recently delivered (same as our new demo version) have much better off the mark performance eg wheelies are a lot easier on the latest versions. The new hubs have drain holes drilled in the side casings also. Our latest demo is using the version 3 CA software of which I am not all that familiar with yet but seems to have a lot more in built options than the old 2.3. The battery's that have been supplied on the latest Bombers (from approx October last year) are smaller physically and lighter than the previous version which also contribute to better performance. Overall we think it's about a 10% power/torque gain to the previous model, relative to rider weight, accessories etc.
QMS
quigleymotorsport.com
quigleyms@internode.on.net
ImageImage

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » May 05 2013 11:49pm

Tech question for everyone. Back from a ride, burned 1391 watts. Went to charge the battery, and the charger would shut off after a couple of seconds. Popped off the cover on the frame, and while I was checking the battery charge wires to make sure it was plugged in, the charger started charger. So I was wiggling the charging wires around and discoverd I had a short coming out of the frame mounted 3 prong plug, looks like the mircophone plugs on my dads Peavey Amplifiers. So as I am wiggling wires connected to the frame mounted plug, the charger kept going on and off. So I unscrewed the 2mm allen bolts, pulled the plug out of the frame, cut the heat shrink, and holy shit, the plastic connectors was melted. I think its a simple fix. I want to wire the connectors to the battery directly to the charger. Problem is, the charger wires are not colored red and black wires, it has blue and tanish almost yellowish wires. The tanish yellowish wire plug into the the #1 prong post, and the blue plugs into the #2 prong post. #3 doesn't have nothing. Does anybody know which wire between the blue and tanish/yellowish wire is positive. I have alot of my tools and stuff in a rent a storage and don't have access to my test light. What my intentions are is to just wire the plug connecor directly to the charger and charge that way. Got a friend coming in from Austalia and got to get this up and going by Wednesday morning for a ride in Yosemite. Any and all advise is appreciated.

Rick
Attachments
Melted pluga.png
Plugsa.png
Charger wiresa.png

Kepler   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Kepler » May 05 2013 11:59pm

Blue is usually neg and brown is usually pos. You need to use a multimeter to confirm though. If you don't have one, go and buy one. It doesn't need to be an all singing all dancing Fluke. Just an entry level digital. I would look at one with a DC clamp too. very handy for calibrating shunts.
Current Rides

Lightest true ebike on the planet: ON ROAD viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74269
eBoost on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eboost/200306283342024/

Kepler   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Kepler » May 06 2013 12:06am

Current Rides

remf   10 kW

10 kW

Post by remf » May 06 2013 1:18am

Rix wrote:So I was wiggling the charging wires around and discoverd I had a short coming out of the frame mounted 3 prong plug, looks like the mircophone plugs on my dads Peavey Amplifiers.
Hi Rick, looks like Dr Kepler has answered the technical. I can answer the not-so-technical - it IS the same as your dad's Peavey amp!!! - it's a 3-pin Cannon - XLR. Don't start cannibalising his plug now :D

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » May 06 2013 8:40am

Kepler wrote:Blue is usually neg and brown is usually pos. You need to use a multimeter to confirm though. If you don't have one, go and buy one. It doesn't need to be an all singing all dancing Fluke. Just an entry level digital. I would look at one with a DC clamp too. very handy for calibrating shunts.
Thanks John, I have a DC Clamp meter from when I spoke with you last year about copper wrapping and soldering the shunt up. I also have a test light, somewhere in my rent a storage. Fact is I got a lot of stuff in the storage and am waiting to get into a house with a shop before I un pack. Hopefully this summer. Thanks again.

Remf, that makes since about the 3 pin XLR plug. They look identical. Good to know my dad has a bunch of spare parts for the Bomber on his Peavey Amps. :lol: You know looking at your Avatar, I see the Bomber now. Don't know why I didn't notice sooner, HUA I guess.

Rick

Longshot   100 W

100 W

Post by Longshot » May 06 2013 3:55pm

Hi guys, I'm shopping for a freewheel for the cromotor but I don't know what type to get. I want to try and find a silent one that doesn't click. I know they have hubs that have this feature but a full hub won't work with the cromotor config. Any leads to help me search would be appreciated. Thanks!

Paul_G   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Paul_G » May 06 2013 7:44pm

Longshot wrote:Hi guys, I'm shopping for a freewheel for the cromotor but I don't know what type to get. I want to try and find a silent one that doesn't click. I know they have hubs that have this feature but a full hub won't work with the cromotor config. Any leads to help me search would be appreciated. Thanks!
White makes a good freewheel.

http://www.whiteind.com/singlespeedgear ... heels.html
Stealth Bomber #40

powerfloe   100 mW

100 mW

Post by powerfloe » May 06 2013 11:35pm

snapperboy87 wrote:Hello, forumboard.

I have some questions. I having some issues with my bike. I rode my bike to school and my luck a afternoon thunderstorm rained all over my bike. I rode it home no problem. I waited a day to let everything dry out in all. before I started charging. I charged my bike about a day ago. I just today wanted to take it for a ride. Turned over the key and reset my CA. I twisted the gas and nothing. Turned it off then back on. I tried the gas again. I got it to go but was jerky there was a clicking sounds felt like it wasn't getting enough power or maybe too much. Maybe a short in a wire. I did take it off the charger as soon as it turned green but I don't see how that would effect it. I am not sure what it could be being it worked fine The other day. Also my chain is super loose how would I go about adjusting the chain tension. I really hope you guys can help I don't like not being able to ride my bike.
Same thing happened to me! Make sure your charger turns on.... and you see the two red lights and hear the fan. I plugged my Bomber in... same thing happened. No Charge. Sometimes, the charger seems not to turn on and gives you the old red and green light when you plug it in. Simply unplug and replug the charger (like a modem crash) to reset it and suddenly it wakes up and charges like it should with 2 red lights and fan. This might be because of power glitches like internet hickups that cause this... but now I make sure I get 2 red lights and hear the fan when I plug in.

FYI - always be testing the throttle wide open... as it will show you the true battery life left over... I felt it weak on one ride in the cold, turned it around and limped it home. Also, riding half a charge, having waited a day or 2 and try riding the 2nd half resulted in less miles. I have done 25-45 miles.. with a low or dead 16 amp hours and high at 18 amp hours... temperature is key.... and how you ride... but trust your instincts... hit full throttle... the bike will slowly max out at 25mph and the throttle will die, then 20mph and down to 10mph at my worse... with pedaling.. It seems very linear.. as you cross the 16 amp hours into your safety amp hours... Hope that helps... you'll get a feel for it riding the same trails and how you beat the machine with speed and acceleration or go slow and pedal - when you are low battery! You should learn to feel the machine has less torque and then see the cut off at a given speed - i.e. - hit the throttle full and it dies... at a given speed... and it will continue to die 25 to 20 to 10 to 5mph as you downshift and limp home.... not fun.... so don't overly push it... but you should to learn how it goes down dying... and then don't do it. I do extra loops on a bike path till it can't do more than 15mph and see the results... build at least a 14-16 amp hour safety... and be close to home when you run it fully to 18-19 amp hour....

powerfloe   100 mW

100 mW

Post by powerfloe » May 07 2013 1:25am

remf wrote:It sounds like you don't actually want any help from Stealth at all. It sounds like you just want to project your negative attitude for whatever underlying reason you have. It's quite simple, if you have an issue, send them an email and they will do their best to get your bikes running again. I must say that out of over 3,500 posts here, only a small single digit number are negative, none more than you. That puts you in a very exclusive club.
I totally agree. I had a part issue - the back triangle that holds the seat to the frame was separating from the frame with my heavy 250 pound weight and they replaced the part and paid for the install over $200 - no complaints. Now if the new part fails, I might post it on the forum but being a parts manufacturer - @#$ happens - cracks in aluminum folds are hard to find and require x-rays to find fatigue. Stealth stepped up even though I wanted to fix it asap with a weld... and pay for it. So far so good after a few weeks of riding. They also found me new tires after 2000 miles of riding that I could not find on the internet.

This machine is awesome, but like a Ferrari, there are always gonna be some issues... this is 2nd generation, and Stealth is stepping up with great support like Toyota or Honda. The machine is so so fun... worth every dollar for the best of the best... and despite a few issues - it makes me smile every time I ride it 35 miles every day for over 2000 miles so far - #220 - there are more Enzos and Veyrons than this bike... costing only 2.5X the best electric bike! Try that for buying the fastest car at 2.5 million... this is a steal to have an exclusive - e-bike legal to ride on bike paths and off road.... this will not last... enjoy it while it lasts the next 3-5 years.

If you are considering Fighter vs Bomber - get the bomber - faster and more miles period - worth the price and bragging rights. I like the heavy weight, as it rides more like a motorcycle - rock solid stable and lighter than my Honda 600 CBR. I find my mountain bike more and more unstable after riding the bomb proof stealth. Ride before you decide... I did and fell in love... over my 1990 Nissan Twin Turbo Z and Honda CBR F2... both world class award winning machines... but the bomber is really in a league of its own... with the Veyrons... nearing perfection... I can't wait for new lighter and cheeper batteries... maybe a 2 wheel drive with smaller motors and computer controlled launches - like the Nissan GTR! Come on Auzie's you are kicking USA, ASIA, AND EUROPES ASSES making the best e-bikes in the world!

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » May 07 2013 8:21am

Come on Auzie's you are kicking USA, ASIA, AND EUROPES ASSES making the best e-bikes in the world!
Yes they are :mrgreen: :shock: 8) :lol: :mrgreen:

dh-paule   1 kW

1 kW

Post by dh-paule » May 08 2013 5:19pm

nothing special, just some scenes from my lunchbreak ride...
no action, no stunts, no music ... just stealth silence

Last edited by dh-paule on May 08 2013 6:28pm, edited 4 times in total.
it was a very exciting time riding a stealth bomber

full-throttle   10 MW

10 MW

Post by full-throttle » May 08 2013 5:29pm

That's brilliant! Clean, simple video.
What camera and s/w are you using?

dh-paule   1 kW

1 kW

Post by dh-paule » May 08 2013 5:57pm

I was on my lunchbreak ride and had my iPhone with me. Then I had the idea to just take some scenes.
Editing has been done directly at the iPhone with reeldirector, cool app for videoedit and upload

full-throttle   10 MW

10 MW

Post by full-throttle » May 08 2013 7:20pm

Just an iphone. I'm impressed!

Found this

powerfloe   100 mW

100 mW

Post by powerfloe » May 09 2013 12:05am

QUESTION - How to adjust front suspension?! Besides the dial that seems worthless?

I'm getting carpel tunnel symptoms from riding my Bomber too much on High Vibration - bumpy bike trails. I would guess a good dirt bike and or my mtn bike seem to take these high vibration shocks alot better. Looking at Jessy James Baha 1000 Buggie with super soft suspension, there must be a way to tune the front forks to be Cadillac cushy soft and not Corvette ride tough. Any Ideas for a new #220 bike with 2k miles already!?

I asked Stealth to tune it as I'm heavy at 250 pounds... but I'm basically a bike path, soft trail rider - no hard core dirt biking or jumping - mostly under 25mph... I'm getting huge hard core shake on 1-2 inch bumps - like no suspension but I do see a 2 inch travel hopping on it... that neither my soft 2006 Toyota 4 Runner or old rock 1990 hard Nissan Z rock would feel. There must be a better balance between soft and hard and re-coil, etc... please educate me. I'm semi clueless on travel, stiffness, how fast the stiffness dials in, etc...

I may have to take this to a dirt bike pro to have them tune it as bike shops and motorcylce guys might not know this. Any tips? thanks...

Oh, and get ready for a bunch of youtube videos coming soon...

powerfloe   100 mW

100 mW

Post by powerfloe » May 09 2013 12:21am

Who had their Orange Bomber like #240 ish at MOTOSTRANO.COM? They said we talked here on this forum. What's up? Let's go Bombing sometime. 8-)

Paul_G   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Paul_G » May 09 2013 6:58am

powerfloe wrote:QUESTION - How to adjust front suspension?! Besides the dial that seems worthless?

I'm getting carpel tunnel symptoms from riding my Bomber too much on High Vibration - bumpy bike trails. I would guess a good dirt bike and or my mtn bike seem to take these high vibration shocks alot better. Looking at Jessy James Baha 1000 Buggie with super soft suspension, there must be a way to tune the front forks to be Cadillac cushy soft and not Corvette ride tough. Any Ideas for a new #220 bike with 2k miles already!?

I asked Stealth to tune it as I'm heavy at 250 pounds... but I'm basically a bike path, soft trail rider - no hard core dirt biking or jumping - mostly under 25mph... I'm getting huge hard core shake on 1-2 inch bumps - like no suspension but I do see a 2 inch travel hopping on it... that neither my soft 2006 Toyota 4 Runner or old rock 1990 hard Nissan Z rock would feel. There must be a better balance between soft and hard and re-coil, etc... please educate me. I'm semi clueless on travel, stiffness, how fast the stiffness dials in, etc...

I may have to take this to a dirt bike pro to have them tune it as bike shops and motorcylce guys might not know this. Any tips? thanks...

Oh, and get ready for a bunch of youtube videos coming soon...
Change the forks.....I went to Fox 40's and they float over the small stuff as well as large....the small stuff is where most forks send the shocks back to you.
Stealth Bomber #40

dh-paule   1 kW

1 kW

Post by dh-paule » May 09 2013 7:29am

agree with FOX40, difference like day & night to RST...
but maybe there is a local expert that will support the setup and get the best performance out of your fork... depending on rider weight, riding style and the trails you ride

FOX40 offers a correct spring up to 280/290 pounds (bike+rider) dont know if RST does

Paul_G   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Paul_G » May 09 2013 7:42am

dh-paule wrote:agree with FOX40, difference like day & night to RST...
but maybe there is a local expert that will support the setup and get the best performance out of your fork... depending on rider weight, riding style and the trails you ride

FOX40 offers a correct spring up to 280/290 pounds (bike+rider) dont know if RST does
I'm 225 lbs with a 10 lb front mount bag and I went with the stock 140 lb springs....try the same if not riding off road over major hits. Stock RSI's are not fitting for a bike of this class. Forks come with 3 springs but only the stock 140 is titanium....others are steel.
Stealth Bomber #40

Kepler   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Kepler » May 09 2013 9:40pm

Is this the coolest looking Bomber yet? I think it looks great. 8)
Attachments
562424_10151534303202383_2001678855_n.jpg
562424_10151534303202383_2001678855_n.jpg (99.25 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
Current Rides