Oh time to update this project! The last picture posted was the FWD version that was used during the Winter and Spring of 2011. In May, I began the redesign and construction of a Push me–Pull you
FWD eBike and pusher Trailer in preparation for my next road trip to California
. Below are pictures of that assembly prior to launch.
FWD eBike with two controllers to support the pusher-trailer when attached. This version is technically labeled P3 because I have completely rewired the whole bike from end-to-end with new handlebar controls, new motors, new 12-FET controllers, indicator signal lights, active taillight, integrated eBrake & Stop light, two CAs, and trailer cabling interface. All battery-operated components run from one battery, and use the DC-DC converter to power the auxiliaries. I also employed a key-lock switch to completely disconnect the electrical power. In addition, I replaced the Meanwell S/SP units for bulk-charging with the faster HRP-600 Series
which required zero-modification. New hardware included disc brakes, custom torque arms, and a new Brooke’s saddle.
Later I swapped out the chainrings, crank, and bottom bracket for a Campagnolo 53-39-30 Road Racing chainring & crank, a Phil Wood BB, and a Campagnolo Braze-on Derailleur. In order to mount the derailleur I designed a custom MtB Braze-on adapter. This provided an available gear ratio as high as 53-11. The views below include this modification and are taken just before my first (false) start on my journey to California.
Top View: Note that the right pannier is not mounted (cos I have the camera out).
Rear ¾ view. In 2011 I changed out my Ortlieb panniers from yellow to black to match the B&W theme.
Alas – there were problems with the pusher-trailer, namely the framework twisted axially and created an extremely unpleasant situation above 5 mph. This configuration was therefore abandoned. However – I was able to keep the pulse alive on the road trip by removing the hub motor from the trailer and mounted it instead onto the eBike, creating a 2WD in the process. The trailer frame was stiffened by injecting foam into the tubing (this is all covered in the trailer thread
). After a couple of weeks or reintegration and bug-solving the assembly was ready again and I launched a successful road trip to California and back as a 2WD eBike pulling a traditional trailer covering 2500 miles over 28 days. This eBike configuration I label as P4 because I had to make and hardware wiring changes that were unique and specific to the activity. The design continued to evolve On the Road
as I resolved persistent nagging issues one-by-one. Below are pictures of this assembly from the road. Each motor has 2 hp programmed into the associated controller.
July 26th, 2011 - Spanaway, WA: First day on the road to California. Look how spiffy it was! Difficult to believe I am hauling 100 lbs. of LiPo.
Changes include the addition of fenders front and rear, rear torque arms, rear freehub was replaced with a hub motor with an 8-speed freewheel. The front wheel is 26 inches using the Mavic EX 729 Disc rim, the rear and trailer wheels are 24 inches using the Kris Holm Unicycle rims. All tires are 2.5 inch wide Hookworms. The Harley-Davidson tool bag is mounted over the rear tire, although I moved it over the saddlebags a couple of days later to reduce the handling problems and wobble: The rear suspension can’t take a lot of weight mounted above the axles.
This is picture of the assembly just before I crossed the Columbia back into Washington after 27 days On the Road
. The rear fender was a pesky biotch the whole way cos the bike frame was not designed to support fenders. The modification I created split the fender into two parts: Rear over the tire, and a short front splash-guard which protected the linkage and front derailleur. When the suspension would pivot in the extreme, the rear tire would crash into it and make a horrible grating sound; most annoying. Eventually I had to remove the front section and that eliminated 80% of THAT problem
, although there were many other issues with the rear suspension et al. Though essentially useless, the aerobars made the bike look even more badass and were a convenient place to hang my helmet
August 22nd, 2011 - Bremerton-Seattle Ferry crossing over the Puget Sound. Regardless of the pesky issues, this design worked very well. Although I had one flat tire, there were no show-stopping failures; lots of mods – yes
, lots of tinkering – sure
, just no failures.
At present I have the trailer disconnected and the Ebike is used for commuting. It will do 42 mph on a flat, although I prefer to ride at 32 mph.