! As it happens, I do have a stash of tires and rims
from all the testing… but now that I am digging around in that room, I might as well provide a full assay; it’s been on my plate to do that anyways and this request has helped me organize the loose ends into one area. So the response is long (apologies) although concise.
Just about all the objects discussed below are pictured here in the back room.
Rims, Tires, Motors, Controllers
Unless otherwise noted,
- All rims are 36-spoke and for rim-brake.
- Rims under sizes under 2” were for the FWD P0 ebike that was operational in 2010.
- Physical width of rims measured in (mm) when dimensions were not available.
- All motors came from EBikes.CA.
- Except for 2009 and early 2010 purchases, all my controllers have been from Lyen.
- Crystalyte 26” (30 mm) and spoked to 9C 2806 RH. Stock rim for the RH kit. Opened for study, and pulled 10-AWG through axle. Never used. Qty-1
- Samson Champion 26” (25.4mm); Two spoked to 9C 2806 & 2807. Two left over - never used after respoking the motors. Total Qty-4. Stock rim for the FH kit.
- Mavic 26” (36 mm) EX 729 Disc, Qty-3: One spoked to 9C 2806 FH Disc on P1 ebike now. One spoked to 9C 2807 FH RIM motor by mistake and never used. One spoked to rear Freehub Disc axle.
- Kris Holm 24” (46 mm) Unicycle Competition (holed) Rim. One spoked to 9C 2806 RH Disc on P1 ebike now. One spoked to a front axle and is mounted as a follower on the P2 Trailer used in the 2011 Road trip to California. These rims can spawn rim-flats, so extra care is needed to prevent that by double-wrapping the liner. However they are very strong and lightweight.
- Alex Rims XRim 26” (25mm) spoked to Rear Freehub Disc, and DA16 26” (22 mm) spoked to rear Freehub Disc.
- Araya VP-20 26” (27 mm) spoked to front axle.
- Maxxis Hookworm Maxxpro 60 Dual-Ply DH: Two 26x2.5, one mounted on the Front of P1 now, one is a good spare with little mileage. Two 24x2.5, one mounted on the Rear of P1 now, the other is mounted on the P2 Trailer and is also in very good condition as a spare. I have over 5k miles on my first pair and expect to get another 3k before needing replacement. They are awesome tires, and IMO second to none for ebike-class.
- Schwalbe Icespiker Pro EVO 361 Tungsten Studs 60-559 (24x2.35); my Winter Tire for the Front on P1. Fat Frank 60-559 (26x2.35) – never been used. Marathon Winter 47-559 (26x1.75) Qty-2 used on P0 during winter and saw only one season; they were excellent tires.
- Specialized Crossroads 26x1.95 Qty-2, primary tires used on P0 up until fall of 2010. Armadillo Hemisphere 26x1.95 used on P0; replaced worn out Crossroads on the FWD after the road trip to California.
- Panaracer Fire FR 24x2.4 Black-walled Knobby; my Winter Tire for the Rear on P1.
- Continental Contact 47-559 (26x1.75), used on P0 initially I think, before the road trip in 2010.
- 9C 2806 Disc FH & RH from EBikeKit, purchased in early spring of 2011 explicitly for the road trip to California. Rusted solid by November; Reworked in 2012 with varnish, venting, 12-AWG pulled through the axle, and new bearings. Been nearly flawless in operation since.
- 9C 2806 FH Qty-2; one is disassembled though new/never used, one is the old FWD of P0.
- 9C 2806 RH Qty-1; disassembled for study, modified for 10-AWG, never used, never will be.
- 9C 2807 FH Qty-2; one is disassembled though new.
The spare motors will be used on the Dyno project.
For the record, I have had more controllers than I can count or keep track of. However – my very first controller from EBikes.CA
and it still works, although the pads have lifted off the TTL interface, thus I can no longer program it. I have had at least six 48V to 100V 6FETs, probably six 100V 12FETs, and I just purchased two 150V 12FETs for the Dyno project. The present P1 ebike uses two highly modified Lyen 100V 12FETs (EB312), and they’ve been flawless in operation since 2012 rework.
In summation, it appears that I have only one Conti tire
. However I have been looking at Conti and Michelin to provide tires for the next build which is in the light motorcycle-class. There are pictures of tires scattered around my two bike build threads. Maybe what is needed is an addendum to Rims & Tires thread and to have a pictorial galley.
End of Summer UPDATE
In the month of September this year I, with other fellow ES members attended the Washington Silent Thunder Electric Nationals Sept 6, 2014
in Auburn, WA. Below are a couple of photos taken by a pro-photographer that day. Fun times; let’s do it again!
, and LFP
just before heading out onto the Loop Track.
, makin’ the loops at WOT
WOT and yet pedaling! My top speed up to 48 mph.
The Tree is GREEN for GO
! Final run had me pegged at 45.45 mph; pedaled the whole ¼ mile. What a rush!
Working on the next build… faster farther better!