E-S Greyborg owners' pics

My Greyborg RC chassis is on the way :D

It would be easy enough to throw a 50xx C-lyte or external Infineon-controller MagicPie, but here are sooo many ways that it could be built ..I am seriously rethinking the in-wheel hub motor approach :roll:

This is the most recent (damn nice) pic of Accountant's machine..

IMAG0109.jpg

If you have one, PLEASE post it up!

I've ordered one too, feel like a kid at christmas time! I think I'm going to keep the black and white color scheme, something clean about the lines. Mine will be a frock with 72v20AH headways and one of the fetcher goodrum 2.6 bms's from Andy I've been holding on to for a year now.

I have got my frame. Was really impressed with the quality of workmanship (particularly given the very reasonable price). I am in the process of pressing the bearings in and attaching the rear swing arm and forks. I don't have hardly any spare time at the moment, have hardly had time to get to it, and have had to order some extra parts I didn't have (headset etc.), so it has been annoying not being able to get it happening faster.

I have upgraded a 9C 8x8 phase wires (haven't tested it yet), and will try that first, and if I don't like that my x5303. Will be running it on 20S4P or 5P (if i can fit 5p). with my 24 Fet Lyen. I am planning on adding cooling fans to my controller, so I can contain it within the plastic canopy. Am in the process of building the battery compartments in which I will contain the Lipo.

Will post some pics here when I get it going in the next few weeks.

No pictures yet but mine shipped today from Croatia, :D I want to try to get it up and running in a 3 month window. Lets hope there is eventually a Greyborg owners club to rival the Stealth owners club! Mine will be Astro powered with Shumaker reduction gear,through the cranks at 48v, 20ah, 11 speed Alfine on the back with a Lyen controller. I know what you meen about feeling like Christmas.

OMG! What a nice surprise this thread is... :)
I never dreamed I will live long enough to see this... :lol:

AFAIK there is 8 members with Greyborg. With Slevil and Comrad there will be 10!!!

Few days ago #1 came on first service. According to cycle analyst it has 507 battery cycles (2x12S headway) and consumed 4301 Ah and traveled 11456km.
Kontroller is Kelly 75A motor is crystalyte 504. It is 2,5 years old. It will get just a new tyres, everything works fine, because owner never opened the canopy...:)

Stevil_Knevil said:
..I am seriously rethinking the in-wheel hub motor approach :roll:

Ya got my attention :mrgreen:

Congrats to Hal for making these wonderful e-bike frames available to the public too
excellent job mate.

KiM

p.s meaning to ask, what exactly is a 'Greyborg' ?

Thanks Aussie,

Greyborg actualy means nothing, or better say, it means more in English than in Croatian. My first brand Ritzelkopf mean sprockedhead in German. and when I strted with electric bikes I wanted to separate them from "normal" frames. I was thinking about electric brand and looking for name that ends with com, net, org, etc. I think you will know what was on my mind...:)
I hate when I see advertisments with http:/www.xxxxxxx.com like if you write w/o http:// somebody will type jbmtr:// or something. So, main idea was to have name that is also a web page, without any prefix/sufix...

Kepler said:
Good idea on the URL :D

Indeed :wink: ditto for your eboo.st too Kepler LoL... i never realized/noticed the " . " in the Greyb.org on the bikes till now though DOH! :-|

KiM

yep :D , i sure like this enclosure,might be next for me.as soon as im not terrified of lipo :( .im going to build a brick of 18650s first.

HAL9000v2.0 said:
...Few days ago #1 came on first service. According to cycle analyst it has 507 battery cycles (2x12S headway) and consumed 4301 Ah and traveled 11456km.
Kontroller is Kelly 75A motor is crystalyte 504. It is 2,5 years old. It will get just a new tyres, everything works fine, because owner never opened the canopy...:)

Hal,
Congratulations on that. For me what makes a good ebike is durability, and 11kkm of trouble free service on #1 is the best testament there is that you build a great ebike. I take it that the two 12s Headway strings are in parallel, or are they in series? If in parallel, 14.4wh/km (23.2wh/mile) over a 2.5yr span is another great stat. Double those for series, but still great because that would be at electric motorcycle performance. :mrgreen:
John

So I am probably the only one excited by this photo. But the bearings are pressed in, swingarm attached and the rear shock attached. I managed to get a Rock Shox rear shock brand new off Ebay for $50.

Have been extremely busy lately with work and children so progress has been slower than I would like. But now I am like a kid at Christmas. I can't wait to get this going. Will be probably first put my 9C 8x8 into it, and then when my Crystallite HS35 turns up courtesy of Hyena drop that in. My x5303 is currently undergoing spoke surgery. Will be putting 20S Lipo x 25AH (looks like I can fit it easily depending on the battery boxes I decide on). Currently deciding between building my own aluminium battery boxes for my lipo, but have seen some decent premade options I may look at.

Hal has just done such a service to everyone by offering his skills to everyone at such a reasonable price. Given that he has supplied me with a set of forks that I would have struggled to pay $950 for, he basically gave me this frame and canopy for $250. I tip my hat to the man, he is a legend. Photos of progress on my build will follow in a new thread.

Attachments

• Greyborg frame (2).jpg
    Greyborg frame (2).jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 2,996
Hi Phil

I am so jelous you have your frame already and making progress on your project. Because I am stuck working down in the Caribbean at the moment and they have the worlds slowest shipping my frame is still in transit, only 3 weeks so far.... Really look forward to seeing you get it built up and on the road. It is just a great looking frame waiting to be fleshed out with expensive stuff. It will be interesting to see if you can make any converts out of the Aussie Stealth Club when she is up and running??? The best of luck to you.

Cheers Comradegerry,

Because I am stuck working down in the Caribbean at the moment

That sentence just doesn't look right, but I am sure the Caribbean is not as idyllic as I picture it to be (or it is, but it has a bunch of realities that I am not aware of).

I will post a dedicated thread when more of my parts turn up. Waiting on a 20mm thre axle front wheel and deciding on my battery compartment plan of attack before any more progress can occur. I have seen some perfectly sized aluminium controller boxes available online that are not much more than the materials cost of building them myself. The intention is to put the 24 Fet controller up to the left next to the seat, and then the front and bottom thirds to hold two boxes 300x150x100, to house the Lipo.

Its going to be such an advance from my current ghetto setup of a toolbox on the back that I can't even mount gutters with it is so sketchy.

Hi Phil

All is not peaceful as usual in sunny St Martin which is where I am working, on a smallish island there were 8 reported murders in the last month, one of them being a fellow sailor. That kind of put a damper on the festivities a bit as everyone is more cautious late at night.

I picked up a 20mm, thru hub, 32 holes with a twin disc bolt pattern for $75 on ebay for my project and laced it in to an Arrow Racing DH rim; Arrow has some great rims, light, strong, welded seems, they are all of the 36 hole x 26 though unfortunately.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=250771450013&si=BiZNOEK7XPYlzUIgkGPY4bxCqzQ%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Might be an option for you if you haven picked one yet.

So I was quite excited to hear that two parcels were waiting for me to at folks place this weekend...
09042011625.jpg

I'll unbox that one later, but I did open the second box:
09042011626.jpg

Can't wait to test that one! Now I need to finalise the bicycle parts, wait for my cells and my controller. I'm a happy camper!

I am interested that in that photo on the mountain, Hal used all the space in the frame to the bottom. I found when building my battery boxes I had to resize the bottom box (these are aluminium boxes I am building to hold Lipo, to go into the frame), so that the bottom box didn't go all the way to the bottom of the frame. The reason for this is that the crank side of the plastic canopy has a circular indentation/cut in for the purposes of making space for the chainwheel, and so when the plastics are attached you don't actually have all the space horizontally all the way to the bottom of the frame. It just meant I had to resize my bottom box to be a few centimetres (maybe 4-5?) shorter than my top box.

I have finished my aluminium boxes which I built out of scrap aluminium and painted them last night. I will post some pics when I get home tonight, and will give the dimensions I used for others if they are interested. Just waiting on a 20mm thru axle front wheel i ordered to arrive and then I should be good to put it all together.

But I didn't meant to jump over DimGr's question, I am curious to to Patrickza - what brand hub/wheel is that?

Philistine said:
I am interested that in that photo on the mountain, Hal used all the space in the frame to the bottom. I found when building my battery boxes I had to resize the bottom box (these are aluminium boxes I am building to hold Lipo, to go into the frame), so that the bottom box didn't go all the way to the bottom of the frame. The reason for this is that the crank side of the plastic canopy has a circular indentation/cut in for the purposes of making space for the chainwheel, and so when the plastics are attached you don't actually have all the space horizontally all the way to the bottom of the frame. It just meant I had to resize my bottom box to be a few centimetres (maybe 4-5?) shorter than my top box.

I have finished my aluminium boxes which I built out of scrap aluminium and painted them last night. I will post some pics when I get home tonight, and will give the dimensions I used for others if they are interested. Just waiting on a 20mm thru axle front wheel i ordered to arrive and then I should be good to put it all together.

But I didn't meant to jump over DimGr's question, I am curious to to Patrickza - what brand hub/wheel is that?

interesting post about the dimensions of bottom box!!did you try to raise the battery box a while and have the extra space at the bottom end?

Back