New KMX video...

Jozzer

100 kW
Well, I finally found a way to mount a camera onto the kmx, using a tripod with some cable ties and gaffa tape, so made a dash out in the sunshine to test.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NynnKJujqcw
Just a short trip from the workshop back home, top speed was 35mph.
The trikes running a 74v pack of A123's, the controller limit was at 50A.
This is on the 260RPM Puma motor. (available from Mark at http://www.teamhybrid.co.uk)
The return trip was filmed too, and will turn up on youtube after its been verified...

Love the head lice eye view -- had to brush your flying dandruff off my keyboard. :D

:D I was worried that if I mounted the camera any higher it would blow away! Besides, the shot needed something in it for "perspective" :lol:

hi Mate,

nice video, that really pulls nice and quick :)
did you make the A123 pack yourself? they seem to be very impressive batts generally ?
when did you get some sun? it's been miserable as here :cry:
keeping an eye out for the return trip.

Cheers

D

there it is, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2TFzRKImhQ

Built the pack myself, wonderfull batteries!
Loads of sun down here in between the showers. Bit windy, and frightfull cold though! Have you not ridden yours at 72v at all yet Deec?

These motors really arn't loud at all, i'm surprised some video's make them sound so bad. THe camera was about 12" directly above the wheel.

Hi Jozzer,

yes i got a ride at 72v :lol: bloody good i reckon and that was just the 20a controller mate :shock: hit 31mph.
- surprised you dont remember as you fixed it for me!!!!
i had a lvc and i need to cycle and test each cell before i can go rampaging at 72v again but i just haven't had any time at all lately - soon as i get a free weekend i will test the cells individually and then go for 72v again ( i am 90% sure that my batts are fine i just hadn't cycled them and jumped straight to 72v even though one batt only charged to 39v as opposed to the 41v it normally goes to).
i'll check the return vid when i get home :)
i'll post up some vids of my bike at 72v soon as i get chance to get tested - thx for halping me mate, kmx is looking great :)

cheers

D

Hi

Crikey thats fast! ha ha nice videos mate, the roads around there looking terrible though! bet you feel some of those bumps! I noticed you were taking off your hand to wave at the motorists at the give way, I never take one hand off! ha ha way too scary for that!!

I have started my new job this week so havent done any e-biking at all, must crack on with a few things soon.

Come on DC get that bike going again! you need to do another video as well! ha ha, it was over a year ago that I did the BMX 72V video now! how time flies eh.

Thanks again Jozzer, you scare me though not wearing a lid, I tipped my KMX in the summer and went down hard on my head, had a full face lid on though so no bother, recently I saw some very scary stats on how many kids around the world die as result of banging their heads after falling of skate boards!! get a lid old chap, we like you on here and If you bang your head you might stop being as cool :lol:

Knoxie

hehehe,

knoxie is right mate, i am also very reluctant to get a lid but i know a bang on the melon is bad enough, but at 30mph+ it's just not worth chancing it.
a year ago on the bmx vid mate eh? damn doesn't time fly? that video is the dc's mumma so lots of thanks for making that vid.
yes yes i need to crack on :) i just need this bathroom sorted and i could get her running nice now but i haven't swerved from the bathroom yet and i need to see it through as i'm beginning to kick up a bit with no shower or bath for a week now :cry: .
excellent news on the work front mate well done :)
nice vids Jozzer keep em coming mate, it's my fix until im riding again myself!!!

cheers guys

D

Hi Jozzer,

Great video's but I have to agree with Knoxie, get a lid. When I was 16, I told my Dad I wanted a motorcycle, that evening he returned from work (he was an insurance underwriter) with a briefcase full of gory photo's of motorcyclists various bloody parts, literally!

Of course being 16 I ignored him and for a short while had a motorbike, just long enough to have my first accident, 20mph over the bonnet of the car that pulled out in front of me. I was very lucky and took it as a sign, it's been 20 years since I've ridden a motorcycle on the road and I have recently had to tell this story to my daughter, who's thankfully decided to wait to pass her driving test instead.

Being that low to the ground, you have even less chance of vehicles seeing you, so please take every precaution.

Sorry rant over :)

Ian

Hi Boys

Yes for sure a lid is a life saver, If I didnt care I wouldnt bother saying anything, at xmas I had a bad fall off my USPD Trek I went down like a sack of s*it and smashed my head hard on the road, again full face helmet saved the day, at the time the bike would do 30mph moped speed, there is a very good reason for wearing a lid at those speeds.

The KMX is very low you are at risk when riding in traffic from having a door opened on you so a lid is a must IMHO, or it could tip like mine did, my elbows still have the scars, my head is good though as the helmet took the abuse.

I mean its down to the individual however we all have a duty to friends and family to keep ourselves as safe as we can for their and our own benefit, most of us run machines that are way over the legal and safe limits for the road, it just makes sense to play safe.

On my KMX you get enough agro as it is, I honestly think a lot of people dont think they are road legal? I have seen quite a few people shake their heads at me and to be honest until I checked I didn't know if they were road legal either so I cant blame them.

Yes DC the job is going great!! loving it!! some of the machines I am playing with now are monsters! ha ha, great to be back in the throws of industry again, loving the challenge!!

Cheers

Knoxie

Thanks for the concern guys. I sometimes wear a lid, especially when trying silly things. On a recumbent though, your head is last in line for the deck, some sort of bum protection being needed instead. When I first electrified the KMX, I went to a big empty car park, all kitted up with elbow pads and crashhelmet, and tried for 2 hours to find the limits of the trike. I cant imagine still how you flipped yours Paul, its not easy to do, and when it comes close you get lots of warning signs.

As for not being seen....well, never happened yet! I actually think they should ban uprights and make everyone ride a trike....sooo much safer, easier to see, lkess painfull when/if you fall off...

I suppose after spending my entire youth on the racetrack riding M/C's may have altered my perceptions of danger, but I am a very carefull and aware rider these days (age got to me), and feel little risk is envolved.
That said, I do recommend helmets to riders, especially if they ride in busy towns or have a long way to fall (Upright bike)! Whilst on an upright at these speeds I would feel compelled to wear skidproof clothing above all....

Hi Jozzer

Yes no probs just concerned thats all, you can tip the KMX, you arent trying hard enough! ha ha, maybe coz I have my batteries on the one side and yours are inline with the frame of the bike.

I agree with you though that they are prob safer, not so far to fall! I will be using mine more this winter I am sure of that, I loved riding in the snow last year, when it gets really icy this winter it will be replacing my upright bike as it will be a lot safer like you say.

Cheers

Knoxie

hi all
jozzer can you post a close up of your throttle arangment on your handle bars. I just want to see what other people did as a throttle on their kmx, me I used a modified bar end shifter fitted with a spring return and providing resistance output not hall output.
thanks for that.

I've removed the gearshift from this side and put it on the other. The front deraliuer has been removed and a large 56tooth sprocket put in its place, so the other handlebar has the 7 speed shifter.
This pic is of another KMX in the workshop, mines at home so no pics of the front gear..

There you go..

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2046&highlight=kmx
It's been rebuilt a few times since, as I was testing lots of different Puma motors/controllers on it, but it still looks about the same.
Looks much sexier with a hookworm tyre on the back and the panniers off though..

Do a search for KMX here, there's a few other video's and pics around.

Don't know how available they are in the states, here they are pretty cheap. (compared to other Trikes).

A great ride, stable and fast streering, comfortable, and makes you feel like u are going faster than you really are :lol:

Back