Electra Rat Fink with Mac hub

1000w

1 kW
My latest build is for a friend who has given up smoking two stroke oil after riding my Giant NRS electric bike and seeing the light. http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17330
This one is going to be based on an older steel cruiser frame by Electra, they now use aluminium. The donor frame is an Electra Suzy Q which is the same as the Rat Fink but different paint. Brackets and mounts are being welded all over the frame so it will be stripped and resprayed with the metallic green of the Rat Fink.
The set up will be the same as my NRS, Mac hub, infineon 12 fet, 16 x Cell Man 15ah A123's mounted on 3mm perspex within the frame triangle.
This is what a Rat Fink looks like. http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/10533.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx%3FModelID%3D10533&h=512&w=700&sz=46&tbnid=FYMDb-n6UjysKM:&tbnh=102&tbnw=140&prev=/search%3Fq%3Delectra%2Brat%2Bfink%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=electra+rat+fink&usg=__4f2C42MetFVF6_9mNB1oF2hYziw=&sa=X&ei=5NbqTZKEIoSavgP5_LTYDw&ved=0CDgQ9QEwAg

Here is the donor frame.
ratfink1.jpg

This is the first stage of the battery and controller mounting system using steel tags welded to the frame and 3mm perspex cut to fit the generous frame triangle.
ratfink2.jpg
ratfink4.jpg

*Subscribed* Great frame for a e-bike build heap of battery space .. All the best with the build Matt look forward
to seeing it finished and possibly riding with your friend on the next group ride :)

KiM

A small amount of progress tonight with the cutting and bending of the panels that will surround and support the A123 cells.

The heating and bending method.
ratfink5.jpg

The panel placement.
ratfink6.jpg

Cruiser in any way are the best way to build an ebike ^^ (very personal opinion but (of course) the right one :mrgreen: )
I use some PVC foam for my covers. The good point is that you can easily bend them with a little source of heat. It start to be bendable at 130°. you can find them in differents colors and it's quite cheap (10-15$/m²) With this you may make a design that make look thinner. And yes... *subscribed* ^^

I had to remake the two outside covers using 2mm acrylic instead of 3mm as they were too stiff and a pita to install.
The photos show the new covers trimmed and installed. The last photo shows the main and precharge switches.

ratfink15.jpg
ratfink14.jpg

ratfink13.jpg
ratfink12.jpg

ratfink16.jpg

The frame now has a rear disc brake mount and the motor has a torque arm both of which are fabricated from 6mm steel.

Here we have an Aussie Jester style photo.
ratfink21.jpg

ratfink22.jpg

ratfink23.jpg

ratfink24.jpg

ratfink25.jpg

ratfink26.jpg

ratfink27.jpg

nice work, cant do so complex stuff myself yet :)

I gave up on the big switch as there was no place i could put it where it wouldnt look ugly, trying to make sleeker build on my new one.
I chose relay and little keyswitch instead :)

Question, I have the tunigy meter at the same place as you, but secured it a little different, did you clue it to the metal plate holding it up or are there welded screws under it?
Thinking of also doing the holder plate for the new build.

xmasta said:
did you clue it to the metal plate holding it up or are there welded screws under it?
The plate is attached to the frame using rivnuts in the tube and the meter is stuck down with double sided adhesive tape.

Had the frame sandblasted and then I primed it with etch primer.

ratfink28-1.jpg

The frame was sent to a car panel shop and painted with a mazda green which is really close to the original electra rat fink green and then a clear coat was applied.

ratfink29-1.jpg

Some photos showing some wiring up progress.

ratfink31.jpg

ratfink30.jpg

ratfink33.jpg

ratfink32.jpg

AussieJester said:
That is freakin sweeeet Matt!! I bet that colour really *PoPs* in the day light!!! Any chance you can bring this one up when your done for a peak?

KiM
Cheers Kim.
I'm sure you will see it some time soon, I will try to bring it up to your place, or
Tony, who owns this machine will be coming on our group rides.

Yes, very nice indeed, Matt. :)

Is this your next commuter, or do you have other plans for this bike?

I reckon Hyena might appreciate the hub motor if he comes for another visit. :p :D

Simon.

Hi Simon,
This is a build for a friend of mine that I convinced that ebikes are better than his stinking, noisy two stroke powered bike.
He has sold the two stroke and this will be his daily commuter.

Here are some more progress photos.

ratfink35.jpg

ratfink34.jpg

These two photos show the green carbon fiber vinyl on the side covers, the edge has not been trimmed yet.

ratfink36.jpg

ratfink37.jpg

Some wiring photos showing the kill switch, precharge switch, charge port, and the 4mm bullets on the phase wires.

ratfink38.jpg

ratfink39.jpg

These two photos are for Aussie Jester the frock motor lover. Yes that is fabric on the frock and front hub.

ratfink40.jpg

ratfink41.jpg

HAHA@decorated MAC Frock motor, where in gods name did you find that 'material' Matt? Theres alot of green, BRIGHT green even LOL Needs a contrasting colour, yellow accessories would really suit it .. jm2cw

Really looking forward to seeing this in person Matt.P! Definitely need to get your friend along for our next ride, I was hoping to do a riiiiiode down your way soon.

Keep up the good work

KiM

You do some beautiful work Matt, how do you go about building for someone? do you give a price or cost plus or a mates trade?

mark

I am doing this as a one off because I don't have much time these days, I have young children.
This is a mate who I ride regular bikes with and I was keen to have a ebike riding buddy.
So my mate pays for all the parts and I am donating my time, skills and the valuable knowledge I have gained from this awesome forum.
Cheers.

Finished assembling the battery packs and final wiring set up.

ratfink42.jpg

The red bundle is for the BMS and the blue bundle is for a cell log.

ratfink43.jpg

ratfink45.jpg

ratfink44.jpg

ratfink47.jpg

ratfink48.jpg

ratfink46.jpg

I have had the first test ride and it goes great. The infineon is set to give a 2250w peak so acceleration is sweet, top speed is 52kmh, and the controller is only slightly warm after a 15 km ride.
The phase wires are 12 gauge turnigy wire and are showing no heat issues.
Cheers to Cellman for the great Mac motor with his new strong composite gears and the A123 pouch cells.
I will post final photos soon.

Back