Specialized Big Hit + Crystalyte HS = :-)

Jimbo

100 mW
Hi all,

having built my first 'leccy steed around a full sus trek fuel and a MAC motor, i have been bitten by the bug and decided i needed more!

I found a mint Big Hit for sale second hand and bought it on a whim. I then got on the phone to Crystalyte and ordered a HS3540 with the 72V 45A sensorless controller and the crystalyte cycle analyst. Im running 9AH of nano tech lipo at 20s / 74V.

First trip out today and this thing HOONS! Charged to 80V I managed an indicated 47mph! it pulls like a train and wheelies off speed humps....very impressed indeed. I'm thinking the computer may be overreading due to the 2.5" tyres, but even if it is its still way fast enough. Might take out the Sat nav to check it. Got home and had a play with the cycle analyst, it actually lets you program the controller so i've upped the current to 50A, with a full charge i should be pulling over 4KW on full chat, nice!

Anyways, i'll stop ranting now, piccies below. :)

photo.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: OMG I almost leaked a little bit of wee wee :lol: that is just the ticket...freaking beauty, I am going to email DC! awesome, please post some videos that bike is stunning :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh and can you post some more close ups of the bike including the battery box, awesome stuff, such a nice looking machine, like a stealth fighter :mrgreen:

I haven't seen that Crystalyte Cycle Analyst before. Go any more details on it?

Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate the enthusiasm. :)

Top Speed on my way to work today....50mph!!!!! I'm gonna start wearing my MX kit for riding this thing.

The battery boxes are made from some tough plastic air con ducting i found at the local DIY shop, I wrapped the batteries in about an inch of foam and they are a nice snug fit. I could fit another two packs in there, but for safety i'll stick with the foam for now.

Dennyt - Good thinkiing about the battery boxes rubbing - I did a a fair bit of testing during the build to make sure the battery boxes cleared the front wheel. It involved dropping off the biggest stuff i could find with the boxes gaffa taped in place and then chopping them back to avoid any rub. I've not had any issues so far. Next tweak is to fit a proper hinged door to the top of the box - ATM its just got some foam taped in there - not great if it rains.

The Crystalyte analyst is pretty decent. Gives you speed, trip, watts, amps etc; also lets you program the volts, amps and cut off of the controller, so really usefull bit of kit. £100 isnt bad considering the cost of a cycle analyst. I must admit that the whole crystalyte motor, controller and analyst system seems quite robust, the controller runs cool and the motor doesnt seem to heat up too much, only slightly gash bit is the throttle, which is basically on or off.

Im toying with moving the controller as its catching lots of crap from the front wheel and the switch isnt environmentally sealed, or maybe i'll just fit a decent mudguard.

More piccies and range update soon.

Cheers

From Crystalyte. I think they have only just released it. Plugs straight into the controller so its a nice clean install.

Every time I see that, I wonder too about snagging the front tire on the box. But low enough towards the crank, the tire can't reach it. Even though you just tried it out, and it can't rub, you might consider this.

Figure out how far the forks would travel up if they did come far enough to rub the tire. Mark that spot on the tube. Then get radiator hose or sheet rubber, and use multiple hose clamps to create a fork travel limiter a half inch further down from that mark. That way if the forks ever try to compress that far, they have to shove that clamp up some, before the tire can reach the box.

Maybe I'm just being a worry wart. I bet it's really hard to bottom out that fork. Doubtfull it matters at all for street riding.

Lastly, Beautifull!!! At one point, I was thinking I just had to have that very frame. Gotta handle very nice with the battery there, plus it's not a huge heavy load in the first place.

Particularly cool the way you worked out the torque arms.

Your indicated speed is off some, but not by a ton. Measure the tire in mm, then enter that number in the computer. 2030 ought to be pretty close.

One word. Awesome. 8)

Jimbo said:
From Crystalyte. I think they have only just released it. Plugs straight into the controller so its a nice clean install.

crystalyte-europe or crystalyte.com?

Knoxie - Yes, sunny Bournemouth. I've just had a look at your I drive thread - very nice, come down with the GT when its done and we'll go for a hoon. I like the battery box by the way - from Wickes perchance?

DimGr - Crystalyte Europe, they were fairly helpful, a chap called Thijs seems to know his stuff. It's odd the CA isn't featured on their website yet.

Jimbo said:
Knoxie - Yes, sunny Bournemouth. I've just had a look at your I drive thread - very nice, come down with the GT when its done and we'll go for a hoon. I like the battery box by the way - from Wickes perchance?

DimGr - Crystalyte Europe, they were fairly helpful, a chap called Thijs seems to know his stuff. It's odd the CA isn't featured on their website yet.

Ahh sunny Bournemouth! had many a fun weekend with the ladies there back when I was a lad! gotta take it for a sprint along the sea front to pool harbour :mrgreen: would love to see some seaside sunny ebike videos :), the GT thread is actually my buddy Greg, I got plenty of bikes to play with though, my X5 will hit 30mph easily :) any excuse for a bit of ebiking, looking forward to seeing more photos of the bike and some video.

You sure about the display reading amps?

I got a new sensored controller direct from Kenny at Clyte that was wired for his display and wouldn't work with a REAL CA. When I took it apart to find out why and send pics to Justin to ask for advise, I discovered that it didn't have wires to the controller shunt so couldn't even do amp readings. I extremely doubt that you can change the controller amp limits with this display. I bet it needs you to tell it what amp controller you are running so it can GUESS how many amps you are using. It doesn't display how many amp hours are used so there is no way to accurately figure your range. It's probably like the throttles that have the 3 leds that aren't really useful to determine battery capacity left. It seems to do everything with voltage drop and we all know that's not useful with lipo .

I'd like to know how it determines % efficiency. :roll:

Does Kenny actually call it a "Cycle Analyst"?

DSC01772.jpg

DSC01775.jpg

sweet 8) i bet thats a barrel of monkeys to ride? :lol:
vids please :mrgreen:

D

Nicobie,

Afraid I dont know who Kenny is mate. The documentation i have refers to it as an 'APM Display'. You can select the controller amp limit from anything from 0 to 50amps, hit enter and thats what it will draw - i've tested it and it does work. The display gives you a relatime current draw but it doesn't tell you how many AH you have used. It has a battery gauge but as you say im not sure how accurate this will prove to be.

I've no idea about the efficiency readout accuracy, have been more interested in the speedo thus far! It could be as basic as more current draw = less efficiency, will do a few tests to see how it reads.

Have a chat to the guys at Crystalyte Europe, im sure they will fill you in on the details if you ask.

:)

Sam - its not bad, mind you i havent done any high speed cornering yet. Took it down to the local outdoor velodrome last night, ace fun getting up into the the top of the banked corners.

What do you guys use as a helmet cam? - Im in the market for one but haven't a clue as to whats decent, cheap and light.

Cheers

Go Pro cameras are just about the industry standard down here...

Go pro is the best, but you can rig a mount pretty easy for the 30 buck cams that are about cigarette lighter size. Just some kind of stiff material attached to the helmet at the right angle. Looks kind of like a quail topknot. Then a rubber band to attach the cheap cam.

yes gopro for the win anything else (cheapo jobs like the oregon) you just wont be happy with, the contour HD is also a great camera :) looking forward to some videos from you though

Nice bike , well done
I also bought a big hit on a wimb recently, ebay £700 really happy with it off road, downhill ect.
shiver forks , 6 pot hope brakes front and rear .
My project plan is very similar, tho im thinking ht motor at 50amp 72v for off roading and a123 batt pack currently have 80cells saving to buy more.
cant wait to see vids of off your bike in action.

Attachments

• my bike 1.jpg
    my bike 1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 3,808
Back