Toms chunky KMX

KMX Viper with a 5306 and 18fet controller running on 18s

300770_10150891970325370_653260369_21518756_1993757922_n.jpg

photo 2.JPG

316262_10150832519755370_653260369_21118116_730345956_n.jpg

Certainly not the fastest KMX around but it will dig a trench with the back tire

Suntour BFR 24" rim with 2.5" Moto Digger moto-x style tire

[youtube]avvAYQq3608[/youtube]

More videos to come soon now I've got the Go Pro helmet mount sorted out

I've heard they are brilliant in the snow, I think I'm the only one around looking forward to heavy snowfall

Hey Tom that's a nice looking KMX. :D

I am looking forward to the snow this year as well, though my KMX still has 16" wheels on the front so over about 3" of snow and I will be stuck!

I used to have a KMX with 16" wheels, I nearly broke my spine hitting a rock at speed, I went from 25mph to 0mph instantly, if you can find a pair of 20" wheels it's really worth it.

The COG is raised significantly making cornering butt clenchingly scary, but the added ground clearance means you can do much more rough stuff.

Planky, on the upside, you've got a really fun little snow plough.

Managed to find some open land where I could get a bit silly. Next step is to go from 66V to 100V+

[youtube]FAqyFghGPP8[/youtube]

Can anything give me a definitive answer on whether or not this 18fet controller with 100V caps would be safe on 24s or would it pop the controller when its hot off the charger?

I love kmx's , but man that first video was way boring. Your second video is 100x better. Great angles and shows off the speed really well. I enjoyed the various angles. Impressive, looking forward to future ones. Please no more first person only shots. Ride safe out there. Cagers can be jerks. Not trying to be one myself. Just saying your videos are improving a lot. Congrats by the way. I appreciate ur build and video time.

Thanks, that first video was awful yes I strive to improve. I've just done some more work on the trike to make the torque arms better and it's soon to go to 100V so that should take the speed up a notch and possibly touch the 10KW level. I just worked out it has room for a potential 5.2KWh of battery, the loom and battery storage supports that amount of LiPo but I just don't own that many cells (yet) I try to avoid road riding as much as possible and keep this for dirt tracks and forest trails. More material to come soon.

Took it out for a ride and didn't crank down the nuts tight enough on the motor, it jumped out the axle shattering the epoxy on the torque plates and snapping the de-railer in two. Doc's torque plates replace the derailler hanger so there isn't a sacrificial hanger to soak take the hit. Luckily the phase and hall wires survived as it handily disconnected itself as it jumped free, half a roll of gaffer tape to hold the chain to the chassis and I completed the ride without any other issues. This thing can easily climb rocky hills that I have difficulty walking up. Time to weld those torque arms on and crank those nuts a bit

Sorry to hear, but glad you got the tools and know-how to fix it. Ride safe man!

So the trike is still off the road since it ate itself at Christmas, I realise I'm not really going to hit the trails properly until summer so in the meantime, a little switch around is in order. Someone on the forum was selling an 8T mac motor in a 20" wheel nice and cheap so I grabbed that to turn the KMX into a road going machine for the time being. I've got a 10T mac on my commuter so I know what a great motor it is. The general consensus seems to be that they can take 2KW before things get melty so I'm going to use a 12fet controller on 18s with a 2000W limit and keep an eye on the temperature. First of all though, the motor ,it's different to my cell_man mac motor, can anyone help me identify it ???

photo 2.JPG

the case and side cover are different, see how the screws stick out the side of the drum a fair bit there, not like the mac i got from cellman

photo 3.JPG

The other side has a thread for a disc brake, anyone know where I can get a 6 hole adaptor to fit a disc?

The hall connector is different to that of the cell_man mac motor as well. Does anyone know where I can get the other side of this connector to make an adaptor to go to my controller? I don't mind completely replacing it if someone can recommend a good replacement connector.

photo 1.JPG

I would like to get her rolling by this weekend and weather permitting I'll get out the Go Pro and put some better vids up

sorry i don't know of anyone selling the plugs in the UK

but plugs can be gotten here

in germany
http://www.ebike-solutions.de/epages/62204758.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62204758/Categories/Zubeh%C3%B6r/Stecker

in the states
ES member Lyen sells them
or
http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=69

disc adapter

they have a few so measure before u buy from them
http://motorparts4less.com/products.php?id=1057
or
http://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike-parts/disc-brake-conversion-kit.html

I believe this is the company responsible for that motor:

http://www.teamhybrid.co.uk/

They have some interesting custom hub motors.. i don't think they've ever sold them to the public though.
That may be similar to the MAC, but i'm not sure how much. Could have a bigger stator considering it's application.

I like hobbyking 4mm bullets for phase wires. Easy to connect / disconnect, cheap, and take high power just fine.

it is indeed from team hybrid, they were selling a bunch of these mac motors dirt cheap so I grabbed this one in a 20" rim and another without any rim, the rimless one looks like my cell_man mac motor with a 250W sticker attached and is being laced at the local bike shop but this pre-laced one looks different, it's stamped team hybrid puma, so I'm guessing it's a mac motor varient custom made for their aplication, it's a 320rpm Puma which is an 8T I believe, the phase wires look hair thin like GM hub style thin, not sure if they are going to like 2KW

Another observation is that the cellman mac motors, the cable exists the end of the axle wheras this weird puma motor the wire exists the side of the axle with a springy coil to protect the wire from getting pinched.

Looking at the serial number stamped in the side (visible in the pic I posted) you can see 320 and 500 in there which I'm guessing refers to RPM and watt rating 00016 could suggest it's a very early production model. Looks like the one they put on the wheelchair adaptors listed on their site.

View attachment 2
SNOW, took it out with a 3" kenda flame slick tire on the back, idiot. Lots of wheel spin and not much else, when it does get up to speed, stopping it was scary.

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

The battery box is welded steel containing 18s 4p of Lipo, riding around until my hands were freezing used less than 2ah. It's held down with cheap tie straps and a bit of bungie cord, the harness is 8AWG with 5.5mm bullets and the main power line runs down the right of the seat so if anything was to go wrong I can just yank that wire and it will disconnect the battery, in theory.

man this makes me want to get one of these things. my biggest concern is visibility riding next to traffic to get
to where I want to go. I guess one of those flag things with a light would help with that. it pretty easy to attach
some type of panniers in the back ? Seems like storage would be somewhat limited which is another concern.

Still keep the Video/Pics coming very much enjoy them.

There are pannier racks on the back so you can store just as much as you would on a regular bike to be honest. Carrying a backpack is a bit more tricky unless you can pannier mount it. Visibility is the scary bit I rode this today on the roads when there were no cars about (no one could drive in this snow really) I have a strobing red light on the back and a super bright white light on the helmet, if I was in traffic a flag with a light on top would be a neccessity, I don't like riding in traffic anyway, on a bike if someone cuts you up you can either jump off the bike and get a few scuffs or jump up onto the curb out of harms way, on a trike you are stuck in the lane and get squished you cant just pop the front up over a high curb, the drivers around here ignore cycle lanes so I would probably end up as a smear pretty quickly. I reserve this for trail riding and country lanes

I assembled this KMX for Extreme Green Machine. It has a Matt Drive and really nice battery pan to hold the 12s 5p Zippy 5000's.
I added the finned plate for the controllers , built the pack, wired the bike and assembled everything. The Matt drive can be configured as single or dual 3220 motors. It accelerates so fast it is almost unridable without spending some time practicing in a large open area or track.

Attachments

• IMG_2134.JPG
    IMG_2134.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 2,223
That's very nice, is that the same battery box as used on FFR trikes? I was looking at the same style solution myself but this is for riding on trails and I was worried about sharp rocks hitting the bottom of the pan and damaging the cells, I can imagine it really helps the centre of gravity though. Are they 20" wheels all round? I've got a 20" mac motor that I will try out when I've got the connectors sorted but I like the ride angle with a 24" wheel on the back.

nonlineartom said:
That's very nice, is that the same battery box as used on FFR trikes? I was looking at the same style solution myself but this is for riding on trails and I was worried about sharp rocks hitting the bottom of the pan and damaging the cells, I can imagine it really helps the centre of gravity though. Are they 20" wheels all round? I've got a 20" mac motor that I will try out when I've got the connectors sorted but I like the ride angle with a 24" wheel on the back.
The battery pan is pretty tough. I do not think it would be punctured by sharp rocks unless you really wrecked but I would worry about high centering off road. Also the part of the front spindle that connects to the tie rod looks very thin and delicate.
Yes it has 20" all around

[youtube]nAmsL-0QC2w[/youtube]

Video as promised. I managed to unplug one of the phase wires mid ride, I thought it was something more serious so didn't investigate properly but it's good to know it will still run fine on 2 our of 3 phase wires, just sounds like an old rotary engine WUBWUBWUBWUBWUB

Top speed on tarmac was 30mph on 18s according to GPS but it didn't feel that fast, for some of the video I've got the slick tire on the back for other parts it's the knobbly tire it's pretty clear which is which. After an hour and a half of riding around up some pretty steep hills I looked at the CA and saw I had used only 2.6ah, so either the shunt is wrong (possible) or It is very efficient. Recharging the battery on the BMS 1200W charger took about 20 minutes or so.

Back