Giant Iguana commuter

tjason

10 mW
Howdy all,

First, I just want to give a big thanks for all the work done to make this forum happen.

Second I'm a little embarrassed to post my beater here after seeing some of art work you guys call ebikes, but here it is anyway.

I just used some of the basics. One 18" Giant iguana circa 1998? A 9C 9x7 500watt hub motor from Methods, Lyens 6 FET mini monster controller, 16-12 Amp hr Headway Lifepo4 cells (16S 1P= 48v nominal) from Headway Headquarters and a 30/60 Signalab BMS with the pretty lights. I used Deans connectors with 10 gauge marine wire for the heavy wire work. The battery box is 1/4" luan underlayment plywood from Home-depot with a single layer of epoxy cloth over the outside and epoxy resin sealer inside. The cells are connected by Prius copper tabs. They are covered with some 1.5" shrinkwrap on either end and enclosed with some closed cell foam packing to isolate the cells. Plumbers strapping covered in more shrinkwrap is bolted to the box to hold them in place. I was just able to get a 1/4" clearance in between the 3 modules. The controller is inside the battery box and I put a lexan polycarbonate lid over it. A 12 volt CPU computer fan is mounted to the inside of the cover. I am over large at 270 lbs 6'1". The bike pulls me at 26.5+ mph on the flat and doesn't bog too bad on the hills. I don't pedal at speed as the front chain ring is too small unless I'm going under 10mph. Popping the 60 amp limit of the BMS was too easy until I toned down the Amps with the programmable feature of the controller. I'm tempted to solder up the BMS shunt but I really don't need more speed or power. I have had no major issues power wise. I haven't been able to ride it long enough to wear down the battery more than halfway. I get too sore first. A front suspension would be real nice but feeling the bumps keeps my speed real so I won't get so hurt if I crash. It is a bicycle after all. A Non-stinky almost silent no gov't. fees, bike trail pure enjoyment. I used to wear my full face MC helmet but that gave me some strange looks. I'm currently saving my pennies for a Cycle Analyst from http://www.ebikes.ca.

Update 8-2012;

I did solder up the shunt on the BMS and it is much less sensitive now. (across the wires half way up) I use a 60 volt to 12 volt, 10 ampere golf cart dc-dc converter (with a fuse) for lights and fan, as well as an automotive cigarette lighter socket for cell phone charging etc. The Headway batteries are now a year old and haven't lost any capacity or response, although I have never taken out more than 9.5 amp hours at a time.
Here are the stats from my last ride: 53. volts start, 51. volts end, 60 Amps peak, 9.44 Amp hr used, 2618 Watts peak, 42.3 volts min, 457 watt hours used, 15.4 total miles, 33.1 max speed (downhill), 15 mph avg. Average hills. Metered via Turnigy Watt meter and Garmin GPS.
The springer fork really helps with hand and arm fatigue, but I need to arrange some front brakes.

I still love my ebike grin.

Terry

iguana-springer.jpg

Looks like you are on the right track for a good solid commuter to me. Ugly can be a plus, thieves look at the wood stuff, old vintage bike, and go to the shiny new one. Like the battery box.

Thanks Dogman! Lately I have been trying to get my dog to run alongside the bike on a short leash. It almost works but makes me nervous. Any tips?

Terry

More pictures of my lizard bicycle.

000_0056sm.jpg

IMG_4471sm.jpg

IMG_4473sm.jpg

IMG_4478sm.jpg

I was doing some testing for a fellow Ebiker. Gobs of torque from the 5303 of course. Drag the pedals? Not as much as I had thought it might. No cushion from the small wheel with high pressure though, you know just like a hard tail chopper. More weight. Slow down on the hills? Not a bit. Pop the 60 amp BMS current limit? Oh yeah. 8)

100_2421sm.jpg

1st photo is of the new battery cover and my winter dirt. It is made from 1/4" lexan. The stock was old and the paper wouldn't peel so I had to sand it off. I think I'll do it some more so the finish is more even. I can still see the balancing lights and the power light but like a bathroom window it teases about what's inside without revealing too much. I may rabbet the outer edge so it doesn't stick out so much but it really doesn't bother the way it is. Second photo is of the sno-blower headlight and mount. It draws about a half amp at 12 volts. It uses a sealed beam bulb, Works good.

battery-cover-sm.jpg
IMG_1338.JPG

Happy trails,

Terry

IMG_1553sm.jpgCurrent photo with 2.125 tires.

Photo of current build. Springer! no front brakes! Yet... :wink: iguana-springer.jpg

Front brakes good! As a newby welder not so glam but should hold up. 1/4" steel bracket stick welded to thin wall front springer fork from a Trek cruiser. Works great! Now I just need to find a fender and replace the headlight.

IMG_1612sm.jpg

Back