The White Warrior - 40mph+ tadpole trike FINISHED!

Xanda2260

100 W
Hey guys, thought I'd post up my trike build. It isn't finished yet but I'm getting there...honest.
It's an Atomic Zombie Warrior trike, but with a 9c drive and some epic 18s lipo action! Or it will be, eventually...

IMAG0274-1-1.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

Looking good. Get the steering ready, clamp on a footrest, batteries, controller, and throttle and give her a spin.

Looks good.

Can I ask here, and maybe someone knows...What's the reason for having the front wheels on a tadpole so close to your hips. Seems like a longer wheel base would be preferred. I'm not picking on you Xanda, it seems that all/most tadpoles are made this way, and I just don't get it.

StudEbiker said:
Did you build those front hubs yourself using the AZ method? If so, nice job man, those look factory.

Wish I could say yes. However, I cant even build wheels (yet). Those wheels were ordered from the lovely people at TerraTrike, hubs and all. Would've had them built here in the UK but every bike store I asked either said no outright, or claimed they'd get back to me and never did. So much for supporting local business...

Anywho, currently working on steering. PITA! More pics when I have it sorted!

IMAG0306.jpg

Ok, got steering sorted at last! still needs tuning but it works! Went for first ride this evening, just down the street. No power, no lights, no pedals and NO BRAKES!! Rides nice, turns well - I'm chuffed!

Handle bars will not be this long when finished. I'll cut them down once I've stuck all the goodies on. Think I'm gonna have an issue with my thumb throttle hittling the right hand wheel. Anyone got a nice slim one they want to sell me? This beast has an LED fuel gauge built in so it's huge!!

Still a very cool build, I would like to see some pics of the frame setup behind the seat. If you get a chance that is.

Pure said:
Still a very cool build, I would like to see some pics of the frame setup behind the seat. If you get a chance that is.

I'll grab a pic next time I have the seat off. It's just a length of 40mm box section ( like rest of frame) with some tabs welded on and some M6 bolts holding it on.

If anyones interested the build thread is here
http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?5841-The-White-Warrior&p=56678#post56678

You'll need to be a registered member of the AZ forum to see more than the first post though.

Alex

It's ALIVE!

IMAG0350.jpg

Feast your eyes on the duct tape disaster-waiting-to-happen!
36v 15ah of appalingly heavy lead on my lovely new rack. Wires bloody everywhere, ductape holding it all together(ish) and me with a huge grin in my face!

She's no where near ready yet (no brakes for a start) but it works!!
I like the EV grin :mrgreen:

Thanks, that's a very interesting picture. Just how strong is this steel? Or does it give you much flex?

I'm wondering what's it's weight limit?

I really am curious about the strength of the steel, not trying to sound like a ass.

If you're looking for tensile strength etc. I'd reccommend google ;)
The guy that writes the plans reckons this is good for people up to 300lbs (130kg!!), providing the welds are decent.
If you look at the rack I've made you'll see that the rear fork is 2 pieces. The rear section is curently only welded top and bottom (not sides) and each side is capable of supporting my weight. They are only attached to the frame at one end, so they're pretty strong!
There is a little flex, which nicely absorbs some shock from the road, however it is still like riding a hardtale!

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. I've been researching tinsel strength in various steel. I can read specs till I'm blue in the face, but to see an actual working design of only one bent tube that should support the weight of a full grown man, kinda puts it all into perspective.

Pure said:
Thanks for the info. I've been researching tinsel strength in various steel. I can read specs till I'm blue in the face, but to see an actual working design of only one bent tube that should support the weight of a full grown man, kinda puts it all into perspective.

Just to clarify, the rear section isn't one piece of bent steel, it's two pieces welded together (just not properly yet). Even like this and only supported under one end it will still hold my 65kg (145lb ish).
I'll get a pic for you...
IMAG0325.jpg

There you go. This shows how I made the rear section.

In other news, lyen 12fet on its way! Now need lipo!! Come on payday!!

Oky guys, sitrep.
Batteries have arrived, I've nearly finished a temporary battery box, and the trike can be pedalled!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i293/doctoe2260/VIDEO0019.mp4

This is a bid of my bro in law pedalling it up our street (yes, the girly laughing in the background is me). The rasping noise is the connector for the halls rubbing on the tyre! Apparantly the cable shifted when he hit a bump.

Below is my temp batt box
IMAG0135.jpg

Will make a better one when I find some material that is strong, tough, easy to work, and thin!
Im tinking carbon fibre, but I wouldn't know where to start. Clearances are VERY tight. With is box I have around 10mm between it and the rear tyre, and maybe 3-4" clearance with the ground which annoyingly makes the batteries joint lowest point on the trike!! Eek!

Back