Chased by dog/ dog gets chased.

dogman dan

1 PW
From some test vid from my woot. New 1080 p gopro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7kBztwTA3U

LOL... That dog was thinking "this guy's in better shape than most bikes I chase!"

Video looks great even with mount creaking into the audio - I've ran into that too on some of my cam mounts.

Dog action starts at 4:13

This reminds me of a shark special where the researchers made a motorized mannequin to test a theory. Whenever another animal starts to run away from a predator, it triggers a hunting instinct, even if the prey is larger than the hunter. Conversely, some animals in the wild are quite dangerous, even though they may be very small. As a result, predators are surprised and confused when a smaller animal turns on it, and just to be safe, they often retreat as a prudent caution.

The shark guys chumed the water to draw a bunch of big sharks, one big shark began slowly circling the mannequin in a common investigative pattern (each loop slightly closer) which usually ended with the shark taking a bite out of the victim, and then pulling back to see the reaction. In this case, the mannequin turned towards the shark, and began advancing towards it. The shark immediately backed off.

You can't outswim a shark, so I think its worth a try...

Congrats on your new toy.
Video looks great.
I will have to budget for one of these HD GoPro's.
Keep up the great work.
Beautiful country you have there.
Desert is so alien looking to me.
Always loved it though.
All the best in 2012

That sequence of you chasing the dog is way too cool!

Anyone who has ever been chased by a dog when running or biking can really relate to how you've turned the tables here...

E bike takes "man bites dog" to a new level! (Dogman chases dog)

Nice! They don't call him Dogman for nothin! It looks like you are feeling well today, glad to see the ol' silverback out n about! 8)

Nice video and the quality is pretty impressive those are nice cameras.

Some big yards people have out there I was surprised how far that fence went that had one of
the dogs in it. My grandma used to live in New Mexico Albuquerque and I spent some time there.
The lots were all small it seemed to me though and houses close together.

Yea I am jealous of that terrain and all the wide open space you have to play in.
Glad your feeling pretty good.

LMAO, I love how the dog keeps looking back like "oh shit!".

That is beautiful - dangerous, though!
I have been chased before, and now I feel abit better.

Heh Heh. I would kick that dogs ass, if he went for it. It's so much easier to do if they go for the throat. But boxers are always such pussies. All bluff like most dogs. Mastiffs and Cane Corso's will eat you, but not a boxer.

Love living on the mesa above town, but I only have a third acre. That block has 5 acre lots. The boxer lives behind that fence, and went to the gate to hide. Then I was still there hounding him. :lol: :lol: You can see that little walnut size brain going, WTF now? He'll chase bikes still, but a few more repeats of this, and he won't chase me anymore.

I'll try not to have the brake cable tapping on the cam housing in the future. :oops:

I like it. :)

I don't know, I never tried a horn. I just make dogs submit. If one really catches me, I swing the vulerable leg to the other side, then dismount with the bike between us. Easy to play with the dog on a nimble dirt bike, but not so easy on a loaded longtail.
If actually attacked, the dog loses.

Mostly you just outrun the dog enogh to make a safe turn, then it's game on. Once you are attacking even huge dogs usually freak out. Two dogs is much more tricky, and a pack of dogs you better be able to outrun.

Great work. I love getting chased by fast dogs. Dobermans are my favorite, they can sometimes keep up for a few seconds :)

Alan B said:
A friend of mine was riding his motorcycle one day through a neighborhood, nice and slow when a very small dog chased him. It was funny till the dog bit his rear tire and went up under the fender, around between the fender and tire, and then under the rear tire.

That's still funny...

:mrgreen:

Same here... neighbor's German Shepard chased me every time I passed his house. Wished I could have done this to him!

I used to get chased by dogs when I was a child, terrifying me. About age 10, I said F that. Started chasing them back, and learned that nearly all dogs are pussies. The few that aren't go for the throat, but I learned how to deal with that too.

Two dogs, different story. Run like hell might still be best then. One dog, kick his ass.

Dogman... That's a great video .. Damn dogs still scare the hell out of me .. I think I need more than 18 volts :) A cattle prod might teach em... Nice camera work ... thanks for posting

Bill

Mostly I just keep going nromally, but here in the city most dogs aren't big chasers; they're afraid to cross into the next one's territory. I have turned around to chase and growl and bark at one a couple times, but mostly there's no need.

Being able to outrun them with the motor, though, that's helpful when a small pack of ownerless former pets comes around a corner.... ;)

Definitely nice to be able to easily outrun them. On that bike, only 25 mph max, it still was pretty easy to go too fast for him to actually try for a bite. But one dog, soon as I outrun him and it's safe to turn it's game on. Once I'm facing him I have no worries, even the biggest dogs will make the mistake of going for the throat. That makes him totally vulnerable. Once you have a dog by the neck, and all 4 feet off the ground you totally own him. And at that point, anything you do is now justified completely.

I have never though, had a strange dog go for my throat, only my dogs. :roll: Seriously, unless they are in the presence of the owner, they won't attack just persue. They freak out when you go offensive. Take more than one dog very seriously, and get the heck out of there.

Best bet is often outrun the dog if possible, then make throwing motions, which dogs usualy know about. The reason I can go kick a dogs ass is I know I can. I've done it for years, owned big mean dogs for years. The strange dog looks at me and knows instantly I can and will kick his ass. I have no fear of any dog. Two dogs, I just try to show no fear anyway, while getting the heck gone.

IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0318.JPG

my dogs watching in suspense (who will prevail?). haha, i love dogs, i own six, but i still get those goosebumps, hair-on-the-back-of-the-neck when being chased from behind.

one time i took my dogs in the suv up to the mountains and there were these 14 wild mountain dogs chasing the car. i had the rear window about 1/3 open and one of my dogs had his head sticking out the window. one of the wild mountain dogs jumped and got him (he fell out the window). in the rear view mirror, i saw the 14 of them trying to maul my 1yr old to death. adrenaline kicked in and without a moment's pause i got out and charged at the dogs and yelled until it hurt. i'm pretty sure anyone within 10 miles could hear me. rushed my dog to a vet and got him stitched up (he was ok). afterwards, i heard from a resident that those dogs caught and killed a monkey a week prior. they probably would've taken me down if i wasn't so juiced up with that super-human invincibility you get when protecting someone you love and that adrenaline kicks in.

Awesome you saved him. The pack sure knew you were pissed. I'd likely have done the same thing.

I've waded in and removed a pit bull from my dog before. Unbelievable how long it took to choke him out so he'd release. I remember thinking, once he lets go of my dog, he'll focus on me. Oh oh. I was hoping I'd killed the damn dog, but he woke up later.

Love the pic of the dog watching the vid. 8)

Back