Vicky's NORCO Charger Build - Bangor Maine

vicmaine

1 mW
drop out side 2.jpgebike.jpgdrop out side 1.jpghub motor on bike.jpgThanks for all the information, which is indeed endless, I have chosen to build an e-bike using a NORCO Charger frame, which I got from ebay. It has a few scratches, but nothing major and it is made of 7005 Aluminum. I am getting torque plates made at this time to strengthen the frame where the HS3540 hub motor is attached.

The components:
NORCO Charger (appropriate name - don't ya think?)
HS3540 Crystalyte Hub Motor
Large Screen Cycle Analyst
36-72v, 40A Controller
24 - 3.2v 15ah Headway Batteries - to build a 72v 15ah pack in the triangle of the bike

This is my winter project while I wait for Spring in Maine.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
Vicky

Welcome aboard Vicky.
Not very many ladies here, nice to expand the base.

Looks like you have a grasp of what's needed for a conversion.
Ask lots of questions, you will get lots of answers. :wink:

my 2c
Headway's appear to be easy to assemble in pack.
But are large in size & sag(voltage) pretty badly.
Not to talk you out of it, but if you haven't purchased yet.
Their are better options.

Welcome. :mrgreen:

Hi Brentis,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I've bought the Headways. It's a done deal now.
Being my first build, I did a good bit of learning and tried to find the best batteries for the ebike of which there are MANY choices.
I chose the Headways and will let people know how it turned out.

Vicky

The Headway's should work fine @ 40 amp draw.
2.5c or so is a more accurate measure of their abilities.
So your should be good there.
Is this a prebuilt pack, from BMS battery, or 24 raw cells?
Do you plan to run a BMS?
What charger?

I am interested in your torque plate solution.
Your first pic seems to show a front torque arm. Not an ideal setup.
Consider that the Hs 3540 has a smaller than average axle.
Most. Comercial torque arms will leave the axle room to wiggle.
Definetly don't want that.

http://ebikes.ca/store/store_connectors.php Its about half way down the page
that out to help you! I am using these exact same torque arms with the HS3540. Works like a charm. Just got to remember that the torque is applied in the opposite turn of the motor. I found that out the hard way. Going back to the torque arms, they fit like a glove, however, they are freaking expensive! You might be better off with Doctor Bass' super torque PLATES.

Thanks for the comments. The torque arms I got from ebikekit did NOT fit like a glove. It seems that the new HS3540 bolt diameter is slightly smaller than previous versions and so the fit was not so precise. So, I am getting torque plates for both sides that fit. I will post the results.

I will be using the NORCO afterall, just reinforcing where the weak points are in the frame. With 24 cells, the fit will be much better with this frame since it is larger than the GT Ruckus Trail 1.0, which I will be putting up for sale as well as some classic SPIN 3 spoke rims if anyone is interested.

I finally got the Headway cells, BMS, Charger, holders and connectors from a supplier in China! I had no problem with them and their customer service is excellent. View attachment 2They are Zhejiang Xinghai Energy Technology CO., LTD online at http://www.headway-cn.com. I was a bit hesitant to pay them through PayPal being a first time customer with them, but now that I got the goods in excellent order I am confident in their business. I saved over $300 buying the supplies this way over what I would have paid where I looked otherwise.
box of batteries.jpg
bms.jpg
Here is the breakdown of the sale - FYI:
24 40152S Cells $19 each $456
1 BMS $80 $80
1 Charger $95
24 Connectors .25 ea $6
24 Holders .16 ea $3.84
S&H $236
Total $876
Ms. Carey Song was my contact. Great customer service.

24 raw cells, building the pack
The charger is seen here:
charger 1.jpg

Yes, I need a torque plate solution, for sure. I am getting this worked out now.
I'll post the results.

Thanks for the feeback!
Vicky

Brentis said:
The Headway's should work fine @ 40 amp draw.
2.5c or so is a more accurate measure of their abilities.
So your should be good there.
Is this a prebuilt pack, from BMS battery, or 24 raw cells?
Do you plan to run a BMS?
What charger?

I am interested in your torque plate solution.
Your first pic seems to show a front torque arm. Not an ideal setup.
Consider that the Hs 3540 has a smaller than average axle.
Most. Comercial torque arms will leave the axle room to wiggle.
Definetly don't want that.

First welcome Vicky, your thread caught my eye cause I massively rate the norco frames, shame you got rid, ironically I had a gt hardtail which was the first bike I tried to convert with a magic pie kit. now it's full suspension bikes only. looking at your spends on other gear I would recommend the dr bass torque plates, they are not the cheapest but defo one of the best solutions, also I'm studying at Bangor Uni but mine is Wales, UK. if I were to do a hard tail build now I'd invest in a thud buster seat post. Anyway goodluck and goes without saying you will find on here some of the most helpful people you might never meet.

Thanks Wally - I may rebuild the Norco into a custom frame - take out the bend on the top tube.

Update - The Norco is staying! I will just patch it up. Nuff said.

The NORCO lives! gold-green-norco.jpgWent from the Norco Charger - gold/green - to the Blue Charger powder coated Norco with a tig weld fixie on the frame......blue-norco.jpgblue-norco-other-side.jpg
Now a blue/black bike with 72v 15ah system, lifpo4 24 cells 3.2v x 15ah, Crystalyte HS3540SView attachment 3
Going Great!! 42mph top speedtorque1a.jpg

Have ridden this to work and back now a few times so far and it has been so much fun. I have about a 10 mile commute each way and this bike will likely take me the whole commute without a recharge, however, it takes a bit over 7 ah each way and that would put the pack just over the 80% usage. So I end up charging it at the office just to be safe. This is without peddling one bit.

It's been fun passing a line of cars and motorcycles (which I ride as well) and going where only bikes can go and NOT stopping at the gas station at $4 a gallon.

So happy that this project is now a reality!
Vicky

nice work - I love your battery box you did a real good job there.

you going to ride it in the snow ? winter last year in Ohio was so mild I never had a chance myself.

love the new color sweet looking ride.

Beautiful bike. Excellent work. Have you tried it off road yet? I did the ATV trails in Greenville Maine this summer, and had a blast! Off road was fun on 48 volts, likely more fun on 72V :twisted:

Hey Vicky,

I'm in Presque Isle! It's exciting to see another Mainiac on the forum. I also run a crystalite at 72v with 40amp controller, however I use Lithium Polymer batteries. It is great. My winter project is upgrading the phase wires, and adding hall sensors.

Good luck, and be safe!

Thanks - I had the box made up using fiberglass and black dye by a guy (Terry J.) in the area who created the box. He did a fantastic job!
Not too sure at all about the snow. I have a Subaru Outback with heated seats for that. :) I know that I would not like to ride it if there is snow or ice on the road, but if the weather is mild enough and the roads are clear I may try it this winter.

Yes, I love the color too and the fact that the frame has been fixed. I also love how I can ride the bike past lines of cars trying to get on campus at the University of Maine. That was so cool. My job allows for me to park the bike in my office so I don't have to worry about parking it outside and I can charge it at work - so far so good.

ohzee said:
nice work - I love your battery box you did a real good job there.

you going to ride it in the snow ? winter last year in Ohio was so mild I never had a chance myself.

love the new color sweet looking ride.

billyjones454 said:
Hey Vicky,

I'm in Presque Isle! It's exciting to see another Mainiac on the forum. I also run a crystalite at 72v with 40amp controller, however I use Lithium Polymer batteries. It is great. My winter project is upgrading the phase wires, and adding hall sensors.

Good luck, and be safe!

Great to hear from another Mainer too!
Sounds like we have similar systems, how do you like the Lithium Poly batteries? What model is your Crystalyte motor?
I am running a HS3540 rear motor with a 72 v 15ah lifepo4 battery system, hayes brakes, large screen CA.

I'll be working on the ebike again this winter as well. This was my last winters' project. This time, I will be upgrading the lighting.

Thanks,
Vicky

I have a very similar system. HS3540 with wireless controller. 20s4p Lipo. My bike is a hard tail dh. I have used lithium batteries for years, and had some confidence going that route. There are some awesome products offered by members of the endless-sphere community that make Lipo a much safer and user friendly route.

I think the advantages of lipo are weight and cost. My total cost for 20ah @72v was $600 for batteries, and $150 for charger. LVC boards which I haven't purchased are available for $50 each (I would need 4 for my setup). That puts almost the whole package at $950, with some safety in mind. While many bulk charge, I balance charge each time.

I jumped the gun and have already upgraded my phase wires, installed a thermometer, and sealed the motor for oil cooling!

I don't know much, but I visit Bangor frequently. If you ever have questions, concerns let me know!

Back