A Very Very Low Cost Electric Bike from Pakistan

Dear All,
Many Regards!

From my childhood i thougt of making a big electric toy with a very big motor and a very big battery cell so i will be able to ride it my self. i had the habit of breaking my toys and modifying it. so i would say that it was my childhood dream.

With the intension of making a very very low cost electric bike i often went to the junkyards in my city (N.W.F.P., Peshawar). I collected some pieces of pipes and mettles to make the frame of the bike. i draw it on papers first then discussed with some of the professional and non professional technical hands about the drawings and finally welded it. i wanted a bike frame specially designed for speed and with the ability to go off-road, cause the roads here are like that.

I found a fan motor, big enough to accommodate more wire for further rewinding to higher voltages, and I rewind it to first 24 volt then after test and some consultation I did it for 36 then ultimately for 48 volts.

Instead of using expensive speed controller I’ve used relays to connect batteries (4 of them) parallel and series to get 12, 24, 36 and 48 volts by a throttle switch that I designed it my self by using wood. But I would modify it further.

Most importantly I’ve not connected the motor directly to the wheel, instead I’ve connected it to the gearing mechanism so this gives me the choice to go for speed on straight roads and go for torque on hills. This saves my batteries and reduce the load on motor.

With slight power of paddling it is giving me 60 km/hr these days, I’m really enjoying my ride to my office which is about 14 km away.

This is the first electric bike in my city, so people during my ride gather around me on bikes and cars to see me and ask me couple of questions. Some of them take my pictures by their mobile cameras and what not and what not.

Here are some of its pictures that will let you know some of its mechanical/technical aspects.

Sincerely Yours
Naeem

Attachments

• 0313_0009_resize.jpg
    0313_0009_resize.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 27,634
  • 0408_0003_resize.jpg
    0408_0003_resize.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 27,737
Looks like junk.

numberonebikeslover said:
Dear All,

Here are some of its pictures that will let you know some of its mechanical/technical aspects.

Sincerely Yours
Naeem

Naeem, I'm trying to get to grips with your splendid drivetrain :lol:
Please correct me where I'm wrong.
You have a motor driving a rubber toothed belt which drives a large cog.
This large cog is on a lay-shaft (?) and inboard of it is a smaller cog on that lay-shaft.
That smaller cog drives a chain which, in turn, drive a chainring.
That chainring drives (through the frame?) another small cog.
That small cog drives large chainring through another chain.
That large chainring has another smaller cog inboard of it which is driven by the pedals.
On the same shaft as both of these, on the other side of the bike is a chainring that drives the derailleur.

I'm just trying to make sense of your photos.
I have two thoughts about this:
1. You seem to have a triple gear reduction system + the derailleur. What is the overall reduction? It seems to be a lot greater than is normally used.
2. Doesn't all that machinery cause a lot of drag when you are pedaling? What is your range? On what battery power?
Best wishes,
Paul

Dear All

here is the diagrammatic setup of my throttel system. In the diagramme it is for 6 volts and a total of 30 volts, but i've converted it for four 12 volt batteries to give 12, 24, 36, and 48 volts. i'll take the photo closeups later some time.

Sincerely Yours
Naeem

Dude- you are a survivor! (we need a bowing emoticon) I doubt there is little you cannot do, if you set your mind to it. Most impressive. Plus, I think you had a lot of fun designing this bike and getting all the componenets. Simply amazing. 8)

Edit: :mrgreen:

Attachments

• bowdown.gif
    bowdown.gif
    265 bytes · Views: 28,519
Bravo!

I must admit my eye got lost in all the sprockets, and while I understand the concept of switches for the batteries I don't follow the mechanics of it. You must be doing all the sprockets to gain mechanical advantage? Out of curosity if the motor alone was going diect from motor into the gearing on the wheel what do you think your top speed would be? In the back of my mind in someday land I am thinking of doing just that and having the human powered crank shaft going to the opposite side of the wheel for medium strength pedaling without gearing.

I am concerned however that your lower first use batteries may reach empty before your later use higher volt batteries, so balancing the pack may be an issue. Then again I see you have 5 batteries not 4 so if you parallel the extra 12V with the 1st 12V that would help that a little. I am assuming you are either in low 12V or max volt most of the time and the 24, 26 are just used while you accelerate.

You must be charing all the batteries seperately. That must be a mess of wires to behold :)

Brakes. With that much weight your brake pads must be wearing down very fast. I pedict an upgrade to a disc brakes in your future.

so when do you plan on opening an account on alibaba and exporting mass production :p

Drivetrain Ideas...

I'm doing some things on the other end of the spectrum (exotic road racing) but the ideas apply here as well. After thinking long and hard about how to get pedaling and a motor at the same time I've arrived at this configutation:

file.php

...by placing the motor directly in front of the rear wheel you get a straight pull on the chain. This should give near 100% efficiency. (about 98% is the standard figure for a clean chain)

The main thing is to get that first geardown. Most motors run at 3000 rpm or so and you need to get that down to about 100-200 rpm to get to near the pedal rpm. If you can afford $50 you can buy one of these:

106115.gif

http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=106115

Given the fact that you've built this entirely from scrap parts your result is very impressive!

Are you thinking of starting a second bike?

Naem, it is beautiful! The coolest ebike ever.

Here's another controller like Naem's, I think. Very simple and high current.

http://www.poormansev.com/id24.html

Naeem,

You did a remarquable job!

with... nothing!...

Your motor is very similar to the one used in the car fan blower for the interior.. or maybe a fan for cooling the engine...

where did you got it?

Doc

Very impressive use of available materials.
The electronics will survive an EMP and still work. :wink:

Look around for another motor... dual motors?

paultrafalgar said:
numberonebikeslover said:
Dear All,

Sincerely Yours
Naeem

Naeem, I'm trying to get to grips with your splendid drivetrain :lol:
Please correct me where I'm wrong.
You have a motor driving a rubber toothed belt which drives a large cog.
This large cog is on a lay-shaft (?) and inboard of it is a smaller cog on that lay-shaft.
That smaller cog drives a chain which, in turn, drive a chainring.
That chainring drives (through the frame?) another small cog.
That small cog drives large chainring through another chain.
That large chainring has another smaller cog inboard of it which is driven by the pedals.
On the same shaft as both of these, on the other side of the bike is a chainring that drives the derailleur.

I'm just trying to make sense of your photos.
I have two thoughts about this:
1. You seem to have a triple gear reduction system + the derailleur. What is the overall reduction? It seems to be a lot greater than is normally used.
2. Doesn't all that machinery cause a lot of drag when you are pedaling? What is your range? On what battery power?
Best wishes,
Paul

Attachments

• Bike gearing setup.jpg
    Bike gearing setup.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 16,070
I think Solarbbq has found his soul mate 8)

Thanks for the diagram, Naeem! It seems to match my attempt at a description, I think(?). But, as they say, "one picture is worth a thousand words" - however the diagram makes it much clearer what's going on than the photos.
Best wishes,
Paul

awwwww he went and 'blinged' it up ;*-( boooo ..comez on Najeem ghetto it up get rid of that body cover 'naked' bikes are all the rage now none of this 'streamline' fairing business LoL... seriously though, has scrubbed up well, almost couldn't tell its the same bike...

Kim

Naeem, Awesome build, if there is any way to get a short video of all those pulleys/sprockets/chains turning please do. It really does have an artistic appeal without the faring although nobody is going to tell you anything about what you want for your bike because you are the man! Wow. Dr Seuss is now green with envy.

Back