Super V and Clown Bike in CR - New 16kW Compilation Video!

Here is the first Super V vs. Clown Bike video, as promised! Sorry for the relatively poor video quality and angle, but you do get to see Super V completely school Clown on our favorite climb route. I also got all the CA numbers at the top on video, just for y'all.

[youtube]iU6Z5GG0D4c[/youtube]

This was both Dad's and Super V's first time up this route, and the road was wet. We also had some slow downs and a full stop in there. So this is nowhere near the numbers or speeds either are capable of reaching on this climb. In fact, Clown had a 4.3mph higher average speed in this video: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37071&start=15#p563373

Here are Super V's numbers from the ride:
350 lb load
7.752 Ah
599.14 Wh
156.2 Wh/mi
4.0% Regen
65.1A Max Regen Current
221.5A Max Battery Current
70.6 Vmin
58.1mph Max Speed
29.8mph Avg Speed
29.8 avg mi/hr x 156.3 W*hr/mi = 4658W Average Power
221.5A x 70.6Vmin = 15.6kW Conservative Peak Power
221.5A x 74V = 16.4kW Probable Peak Power

Clown's numbers:
6.747 Ah
484.98 Wh
131.4 Wh/mi
1.0% Regen
57.0 Max Regen Current
132.0 Max Battery Current
67.8 Vmin
48.2mph Max Speed
29.8 avg mi/hr x 131.4 W*hr/mi = 3916W Average Power
132.0A x 67.8Vmin = 9.0kW Conservative Peak Power
132.0A x 73V = 9.6kW Probable Peak Power

The minimum voltages were seen towards the very top of the climb, but max power was reached near the beginning of the ride, which is why I included the "Probable Peak Power" calculation. And even those numbers are rather conservative.

More videos to come, as soon as I can post them.

Man, me being a puss is even more exaggerated by the video. A handful of trips up to become familiar with it, a much better front tire to feel safe getting deep in the curves, and dry roads early on a Sunday am so less people out, should make for a better video. Even then the bike will exceed my level of skill and balls. At least this run was a better test of the motor ventilation than a higher speed run due to the repeated accelerations from unimpressive speeds in the curves.

Based on the glances I stole of the CA, accelerating out of each curve reached 190-200A at a minimum and many had a long enough WOT stretch for the current to build to the 221A limit. The bottom line is that I'm not concerned about the motor at all until I can push it with 30-50% higher current. The question is how much can this controller take, and how high can the icy cool controller on Clown be pushed once I rob it to drive Hubmonster. I need a steeper longer climb for a real test, since I'd rather not just throw extra weight aboard.

John

Woot! That's the best hubmotor hill climbing performance we've ever seen on video anywhere by a huge margin, and both bikes made it with no issues! That's really awesome guys! I enjoyed the heck out of that video, and it made me miss Costa Rica. I love the lack of any traffic laws and unpredictable obstacles in the street around any corner. I really enjoyed riding your awesome ebikes down there, particularly exciting with no head-light at night zipping around at full speed on roads I didn't know well.

It's a damn fine country.

Awesome vid and bikes. I'm so jeally there are no words.

I bet your 'balls' would improve if you put on some decent shoes. :mrgreen:

love it mate.

can we get some more detailed pics of the 'super v'? that rear swingarm is sweet. did you upgrade the rear shock at all to deal with the weight + leverage?

We made a new swingarm out of angle iron, which was longer and had big clamping dropouts. The shock attachment point is now higher than on the original swingarm, and we also made another custom mount on the bike frame for the shock, which was a couple inches higher. These frames are aluminum, so we filled the frame at the shock with fiberglass and epoxy for added strength. The shock itself is the original, fox shock I believe.
Attached are some pics from the build that I could find.
There are detailed pics of the motor ventilation upgrade in this thread:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39773

Attachments

• Super V custom shock mount.jpg
    Super V custom shock mount.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 894
  • Super V shock mount installed.jpg
    Super V shock mount installed.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 894
mauimart said:
Great bike for hill climbing. Is that the Kelly hub motor (72V, 6kW, 13 inch) on the Super V?

http://kellycontroller.com/hub-motor-72v-6kw13-inch-p-389.html

I bought it slightly used from a scooter owner. If the Kelly motors are the same it would be the 3kw speed motor they have. The 6kw apparently has a 65mm thick stator compared to the 50mm on hubmonster. I turned it up from the 220A battery side in the video to 280A, and I'm still not having heat problems. With voltage sag that's 21kw input. My limitation so far is controller not motor. As soon as I move the controller down in front of the downtube for better cooling, add another blower to push double the air through the controller, and thicken the power wires that will be significantly shorter with the new placement, then I'm going to give 350A a try.

I'm having so much fun that it may be a while, but when I do I'll need to add some more batteries to stiffen the voltage. I don't want to hit LVC with a freshly charged pack :shock: Hopefully the motor still isn't showing signs of saturation, so I can push onward to the ultimate goal of 30kw. In the meantime, I need to get back to builds with the high efficiency hubbie I'm testing, as well as get their new model the size of Hubmonster in house. A 2 speed version of Hubmonster with 91% peak efficiency has exciting potential. :mrgreen:

John

I can finally verify, John's bikes GO. Had a go on them today. Now I know exactly what I need to buy and build.

Can't let John and Son have exclusive rights to all the FUN. :twisted: 8) 8) 8)

Harold in CR said:
I can finally verify, John's bikes GO. Had a go on them today. Now I know exactly what I need to buy and build.

Can't let John and Son have exclusive rights to all the FUN....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

love to see some more vids john. particularly one of you flooring it away from a standstill + some onboard stuff.

I need to purchase some video capability first. Those we have were using Jay's digital camera attached via the tripod mount to the top of a helmet. I think he's got some more stuff to format and load up from stateside. My plan is to get a couple of the digital sports camcorders, probably Contour Roams since they're cheaper, for on board front and rear views whenever I ride. Then I can post any good stuff.

Of course since most dismiss the weight factor, I should get my 110lb 16yo daughter practiced up and let her be the launch videos pilot. The 60% increase in power to weight ratio would have to put it up near LFP territory, at least till he comes out with whatever new beast he has planned, which I'm guessing is some kind of drag ebike.

John

Nice videos, the country is beautiful. It's amazing your hubs didn't get warm on that climb.

John - looks like you lost a bit of weight? :)

Back