Tricky43's Giant DH Team Lyen 4115 x5306

tricky43

1 mW
Hi Everyone

My name is Rick, I'm a 44 year old auto electrician from Stockport in the UK

I've been riding mountain bikes since before they were called mountain bikes, I don't do it for the fitness (I'm not really that fit) I do it because I love getting out into the countryside and because for me there is no drug better than the adrenalin rush you get from barrelling down a hill at speed. I've always ridden light cross country hardtail bikes because you spend 90% of your ride getting up to the top of the hill and I don't like pushing.

I did have a couple of motorcross bikes when I was a teenager but no-one likes them if you try to ride them off road in the derbyshire peak district and you're likely to get arrested or shot by a farmer.

After riding the same bike since 1994 (an Orange Clockwork) I decided to retire it and get myself a new bike last summer. Super light with longer travel forks and disc brakes. 8) It wasn't until I'd got my new bike that I realised that the problem wasn't the bike it was the old bloke powering it doesn't quite have the power that he used to.

I have spent the last couple of months reading on the forum after coming across a video on youtube of a Stealth Bomber

[youtube]A4VRhIQPrtg[/youtube]

and thinking "I want one of those!"....... Then I found out how much they cost and that was the end of that.

A bit more searching and I came across a video by skeetab5780

[youtube]JLo659fiwDg[/youtube]

His build looked like it could be a little more like it could be in my budget.

Before I go on I think I ought to thank him for taking the time to catalogue all the steps of his build process, it gave me a great first insight of what was involved in building an eBike. Thanks Scott :D

Scott mentioned this forum in one of his videos and so a lot of evenings have been spent reading up on here and hatching my plan.

I wasn't going to start a thread until I'd actually got started with the build. At the moment I'm still getting the parts together but there's the rub, I can't figure out what bits are going to be best without some help.

Here's what I've got up to now.

Giant DH Team 18" frame

frame_1.jpg

Its a 2003 so its got 135mm droputs. It had new linkages and a Rock Shox Vivid rear coil shock fitted in 2010, I got it real cheap, but its not all good news, the reason it came cheap is it has issues.

The top tube has been clanged by the triple clamp forks on both sides and there are small dents.

dent1.jpg

dent2.jpg

dent3.jpg

dent4.jpg

This is where I need my first bit of advice, I know this has weakened the frame and it might crack where the dents are but they're only small dents and I've never owned a frame anywhere near as beefy as this.

Unless one of you who has more experience with these things advises me otherwise I'm going to use it and keep my eyes peeled on eBay for another frame with a bent rear triangle so I can use the front triangle off that one.

My other thought is to wrap the headtube and first 3 inches of the top and down tubes with carbon fibre to strengthen it up a bit. Would that work do you think?

The only other issue is the rear derailleur hanger,

dropouts1.jpg

I'm not sure if it should be bent like this but I'm planning on using some of Kiwi's excellent rear dropout adaptors anyway so it doesen't matter.

kiwi_dropouts.JPG

I'm thinking of using these batteries

battery1.jpg

I can squeeze 6 of them in the front triangle if I put the controller on the bottom of the downtube,

With maybe another 2 or 4 on the front forks with one of Kiwi's Forklifts

forklift.JPG

I was thinking of starting with 4 (cos they cost a packet) for a 24s setup. they're rated at 25-50c would they have enough amps to power this or am I going to need 8 batteries (and a second mortgage)?

motor1.jpg

motor2.jpg

Its a Crystalyte x5306 and here's my controller a Lyen 4115 18 fet

controller_plugs.jpg

My favorite bike on here is Keyne's awesome Giant DH team

keynes_bike1.jpg

and I'm hoping to build one just like it eventually with a 30s 2p 16ah battery pack and carbon fibre side panels.

To get going though I'm just going to use a frame bag for the batteries while I figure out all the wiring and see if it will get me uphill.

So here's the first thing of the many things I don't know and I need some advice with before I buy a front wheel.

The rear wheel is laced into a beefy 24" rim, I've got a pair of Fox 40's to put on the front of the bike so do I get a 26" wheel or a 24"?

If I get a 26" will it feel weird on the climbs like I'm going to fall off the back?

Will the controller mounted on the bottom of the downtube clear a 26" wheel when the suspension is fully compressed?

If I get a 24" wheel will it feel like a childs bike?

Thanks in advance...... Tricky

Got some more bits and almost ready to start the build

I went for a 24" wheel to match the 24" rear one laced onto the x5306
dmr_front_wheel.JPG

I'm going to fit Halo Contra 3.0" tyres on it which are the same ones as are on the Stealth Bomber at £21.00 each I thought they were quite cheap, this should make the wheel tyre combo almost as big as a 26" but with good mud clearance. Again they weigh a ton but I've stopped worrying about it now.
tyres.jpg

I've got a megarange 7 speed rear freewheel which is 34-14 I couldn't believe the weight of the thing, this is going to be a HEAVY bike
megarange.JPG

And a SRAM gripshift which I'm going to fit upside down on the left side of the bars.
shifters.JPG

saddle was 99p off eBay, don't think I'm going to be climbing out of the saddle much and weight isn't an issue so I got a comfy one
kona_seat.JPG

I have the cranks but no front chainring or chain device so I'd appreciate a few suggestions here as well please as well as a suggestion for a rear mech.

Cheers...... Rick

dmr_front_wheel.JPG

I'm going to fit Halo Contra 3.0" tyres on it which are the same ones as are on the Stealth Bomber at £21.00 each I thought they were quite cheap, this should make the wheel tyre combo almost as big as a 26" but with good mud clearance. Again they weigh a ton but I've stopped worrying about it now.
tyres.jpg

You will love that dmr 24'. I have the pair, with the 3 inch tire in the rear and the 2.6 front. I'm not a fan of hubies but it looks like you will have a sweet ride when done !

Looks like you have some good kit there tricky, I can't really see a drama with those small dints in your frame, though I'm only guessing, carbon would work to strengthen up but might make a new stress point where you finish it, on the thin tube. Guessing again. At least there where you can see em so you can bale before it snaps in half :shock:

Kiwi's dropout adaptors fitted into the frame without any dramas at all.

The axle looks a smidge too big for the dropouts however especially on the drive side where the rear mech hanger seems to get in the way a bit too. I started filing and got it about 2mm further in but these dropouts are made of tough stuff, I'll have another go in the morning.

axle_stuck.JPG

The whole lot fits fine however I'd like to fit some spacers to give a bit more room for the motor cabling and the chain, here are the spacers I got from ebikes.ca

spacers.JPG

If I pry the rear triangle apart another 4mm to fit the spacers will this make the rear triangle more likely to crack?...... Would you do this or is it a no no?

drive_side.JPG

disc_side.JPG

My last question is about the offset
offset.JPG

Am I best redishing the wheel or can I flip the motor? Its an X5

in this photo, it looks like the magnet ring, the part that's attached to the spokes, is pushed out towards the disc:
motor2.jpg

so if you do flip the magnet ring and sidecovers, it should center it up more. i've talked about how to do it in some other posts i can't find now.

looks like a monster bike. :twisted:

tricky43 said:

dmr_front_wheel.JPG

tyres.jpg

I've got a megarange 7 speed rear freewheel which is 34-14 I couldn't believe the weight of the thing, this is going to be a HEAVY bike
megarange.JPG

And a SRAM gripshift which I'm going to fit upside down on the left side of the bars.

shifters.JPG

saddle was 99p off eBay, don't think I'm going to be climbing out of the saddle much and weight isn't an issue so I got a comfy one
kona_seat.JPG

I have the cranks but no front chainring or chain device so I'd appreciate a few suggestions here as well please as well as a suggestion for a rear mech.

Cheers...... Rick
I don't know much about gearing and all , but I tried the supplied cluster with a 13 tooth top gear , with only two small chain rings on the trance I would not have been able to help the bike at top speed, it came stock with a 10 speed cluster with an 11 on the back, that made a pretty decent top gear. I got an 11 tooth screw on seven speed from em3ev.
If your derailleur bracket was a hassle, it might work ok to just put a single 11 on the back and have two or three chain rings up front. I don't seem to change my bike out of top gear now with the motor on it. Though I haven't run my battery's down yet before I'm home, more gears might be well handy then.

Reawakening a long-lost topic:

Sadly, my brother Rick died suddenly a couple of years ago, and his e-bike project is in pieces in my garage. I'm using his login to ask if anyone out there wants any of the components - I have no use for them, but I can't test them so don't want to put them on ebay. I'd rather they went to someone who can use them, so this forum seems like a good place to ask.

I don't know much about this stuff, but as far as I can tell I have the following:
Big Fat Rim (24" I think) fitted with Crystalyte X5306 motor and Shimano 34T Megarange gear set;
184115 Lyen controller (see https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=271188)
Giant Rock-Shock frame with Fox 40 series Racing Shox forks, throttle twist-grip (right) and twist-grip gearshift (left)
Drop-out adaptors as discussed in the thread above.

I'm based in Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, in the middle of England. Most of this stuff is too big/heavy to post, so you'll have to come and collect - though I could post the controller if you're prepared to pay postage.

If you're interested please post on this thread or send a private message to this account - if you PM please include an email address so I can contact you by email.

Thanks
Nik Holmes

Hey Nik, sad to hear of your brother. Personally i think you should part it out on eBay putting on minimums as starting bids. Put the links on here in the for sale section. That way it will have the largest audience and you will more likely get what the parts are worth.

I wouldn't mind the controller. But I am trying to curb my ebike buying as I need to focus on a new car and the house. Based in Stockport too so it's a shame I never met your brother.

I reckon you should be able to get about a £1k for the lot.

Hi wherewally606 - thanks for your message.

I was intending to put the bits on ebay but I don't have any way of testing the electrical stuff, and I really don't want to sell something I'm not sure is OK - though I've no reason to suppose there are any problems. I don't think Rick ever even fitted the electric parts to the bike - I know he had problems fitting the motor wheel onto the dropouts on the back, and he never bought any batteries so presumably he never used the controller.

Also. I wasn't really sure whether there's much of a market for this sort of stuff nowadays, since ebikes are easy to buy - though 50mph ebikes are a bit less easy to come by! :)

But maybe I'll take your advice, if you think I can get decent money - his kids would be glad of it. I'll post links when I've got the items up.

Cheers
Nik

I'd say some of the high power stuff is less prevalent nowadays. It's great gear. I've just got to many bikes and projects. Good luck with the sales.

It's a shame I'm not closer or I'd offer a hand in testing to sell it as a known working kit

Back