Super Deluxe Straight 8

Willow

10 kW
...A build thread was not something that I was going to do, but I do enjoy reading through others... so what the hell :twisted: .

The aim of this project was to design a plug-and-play modular system for using Lipo, contained within a stylish yet rugged removable container. This is one of 4 versions of the bag I have designed (this one was tailored to the frame) - the others are of a similar style - but more of a 1 size fits all approach.

Key to the Lipo bulk charging and HVC/LVC safety system - is Methods 'Hobbyking Lipo Protection' gear. I have combined this with a wiring harness to parrallel and series the Lipo packs as required. All components of the system are plugged, for easy assembly/removal/replacement/upgrade.

It starts here with the Junction box... as previously posted somewhere else. 6x6s packs plug in here - for a 66V 16AH pack.

One-Box.jpg

The wiring loom - not totally complete, but all major components are there. Controller is a 72V 50Amp Kelly.

Wiring-Loom.jpg

I love a bit of leatherwork. After making a few paper models, I drew out the templates on paper, glued them to some 3mm MDF, and cut them out - then drilled every stich hole. These were used to cut the leather and mark out the stich holes, which were then hand punched and sewn.

templates.jpg

templates_2.jpg

Not yet finished - still to be furnished with buckles and bling - thick, high quality (expensive) leather. Leather can be easily molded into shape by soaking it in water for a few hours and either forming it by hand or using a jig.

Leather-bag.jpg

A key component of the bag, is this shelving system. The components fix off to it and the batteries are strapped down. The entire assembled module is then placed in the the bag, which is then strapped off to the frame.

Shelving-system.jpg

Lipo-in-Bag.jpg

tomato.jpg

The dropouts of the frame were narrower than the axle width of the motor (HS3540), so I had the axle machined - taking 10mm off the shoulder. A slight spread of the dropouts upon installation and it fits like a glove.

Motor-Axle.jpg

...hanging to ride it now.

Frame-Elevation.jpg

Title got my attention, I had a '49 Packard in High school.
Could balance a nickel edgewise on the cylinder head while it was idling.
Nice build.

couple crappy, low light photo updates.

Almost complete - need to install brake lines, chain and the straps etc to hold the bag onto the frame. Need to perforate the front of the bag to accommodate the large main switch. Red button is charge re-set, and the key switch (240V rated) is pre-charge. All wiring is done - but not yet tested. Might have to have the video running the first time I hook everything up (the 6 brix of LIPO) and turn it on - just in case there is an 'event' fit for the funny home video show. Still have not ridden it.

View attachment 4

bag-1_s.jpg

t-arms_s.jpg
These are 10mm high tensile stainless - painted black.

badge-s.jpg
re-badged - was "Electra".

8.jpg

Forks are DNM - and are well matched to this frame. The neck of the frame is extremely long however, and I had to get a new steerer tube made up to suit. Rear wheel has been radially laced into the original rim with spokes from a 12" pitbike wheel (heavy duty) - which were slightly modified to accommodate the hub motor.

really hang'n to ride it - feels amazing just siting on it. It's a big, comfortable bike with a long wheel base - an ideal starting point for conversion. Looks sick too....Stoked.

Nice build!
I like the Electra cruisers and am doing an Electra Sparker Special at the moment myself.

Very nice. Love the Leather!

That bag and leather work is amazing. Will absolutely make this bike shine. Can't wait to see it al together and running.

How much $$$ was the leather?

Thank you, thank you very much... :wink:

...Leather was around $150 - but spent a bit more on hardware etc. Lazer cutting badges and then chroming was not cheap. Probably invested close to $350 in the bag and all the non-electrical bits. Could be done much cheaper second time around... no wastage, just left-overs and bits I won't use for the moment. Bit of sewing yet to do.

Could have taken it for a ride today...but not much of a day for riding, first real snow of the winter - as viewed from the kitchen window.

Snowy-Mountain.jpg

As the sun sets on another day I finally got to plug everything up, turn the system on and twist the throttle.....Nothing.

CA is working - system is active, but controller seems to be dead - it's brand new and never been used (Kelly Controller model - KBS72121,50A,24-72V). Did manage to program it, but no lights to say it's on and operational. 73V getting to the main power leads of the unit, and voltage getting to the PWR (pink controller power lead), but she aint working.... which kinda sucks. Will rack my brains overnight.... and write to Kelly and see what they have to say.... maybe a return??

anyone got any suggestions??

photo of the power module (up-side down)

View attachment 1

....and the torque plate /brake caliper mount.

torque-plate.jpg

Im pretty new to wiring so i might be way off but i did read this on hillzofvalp's thread. Thought it might help you.

hillzofvalp said:
After many late nights, I finally got the Kelly's behaving. ALLWAYSSSSSSS make SURE: YOUR CA MUST INITIATE BEFORE KELLY! This one stumped me for an hour. The Kelly can be programmed up to 2 seconds delay on startup. I had a switch that turned on CA and kelly at the same time... so the CA throttle output was still low when the kelly checked the throttle lines for crazy throttles.

Very clean looking build hope you get it going soon.

Thanks Farmkid...

the CA I'm using is a stand alone model - so no throttle over-rides. Will check my pre-charge / controller power input tonight - may have an issue there. I'm still very much a novice at electronics... woodwork and technical drawing are my areas of experience.

I was very cautious when hooking up the LIPO - have been handling it like it was C4... one wrong move, and KFF.

hmmm... couldn't see the on-lights cause I have not yet installed it! :? just realized reading back through the supplied wiring diagram... doh!

the larger Kelly models have these lights built in... thought I could see red and green lights behind a blob of silicone on controller... but not so. Tomorrows task - buy red and green LED's and install... :oops:

with the back wheel off the ground, try spinning the wheel then twisting the throttle while it's spinning - if something happens then you're phase/hall wires are wrong (wheel might shop/shudder/go backwards etc...)

only turn the throttle slowly, you don't want to twist it fast and give it full power in case something is wrong

after that, check the throttle and ebrake cut off (do you have one?)

:)

ok... red and green lights installed - diagnostic is 'throttle error'. So it could be as easy as swapping two wires on the throttle (5V and Throttle signal) if wired incorrectly. However, the throttle runs through the HVC/LVC unit - and the problem may lie there... which is most likely. Easy fix either way.

Very nice build Willow, cant help you with power trouble but boy do you have a gorgious view from your kitchen window, got to make it to tassie one day

Harhar! He's not responding because he got it going! :mrgreen:

Congrats on that beautiful leather bike battery case! Now that you have the memory of the making of the bag ingrained into your neurons, would you be willing to make more :?:

...away from the desk for a bit.... back again to say thankyou all, and no bike not running yet - maybe tonight.

Yes AJ, planning on a 'pro-video' - filming in August. My friends and I have been playing music together for years, and I want to make a clip to one of our songs - "Ride The Sky" - in which the bike will feature...

It was my intention to make these bags to sell - complete with wiring harness etc. but without batteries. I would consider doing a limited run myself, but there is a lot of work in each one, and they would not be cheap...unless I could get slaves to build them. Note to self - aquire slaves.
An extended thread on the leathernmaking process might be useful (but probably already on the interwebs somewhere) - anyone could do it, and the tooling is very cheap...

I was toying with using these on my Globe commuter. Not sure how long they are on special for...

http://www.cyclingdeals.com.au/products/italian-leather-panniers

Samd said:
I was toying with using these on my Globe commuter. Not sure how long they are on special for...

http://www.cyclingdeals.com.au/products/italian-leather-panniers

very nice.... and extremely cheap. Couldn't buy the leather (in Australia) for that price.

Beautiful werq on the bike especially like the bag it's more than well done. Thanks for posting the build I like to see them as well. Looks like you intend a fairly upright riding position. That spring in the seat really won't do much. I recommend a good quality suspension seatpost as I know the damage that can be done after a bit of riding around at 20+ MPH. I went to a suspension bike and got rid of the pain. Fat tires and a suspension post would probly be the next best thing.

biohazardman said:
Beautiful werq on the bike especially like the bag it's more than well done. Thanks for posting the build I like to see them as well. Looks like you intend a fairly upright riding position. That spring in the seat really won't do much. I recommend a good quality suspension seatpost as I know the damage that can be done after a bit of riding around at 20+ MPH. I went to a suspension bike and got rid of the pain. Fat tires and a suspension post would probly be the next best thing.

...yeah, something I hadn't really considered too much - the springer seat has a bit of give, but not anything like a suspended seat post. DNM do a good one. My back aint what it used to be.

Back